Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Really cool way to make things easy Options
monidaw1
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 9:25:47 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

You know how here if we want to add titles into our collection folder we hit search and the box comes up. We enter what we want, then to add any we have to click each result one at a time and the add button with sometimes having to go over and click the okay that one's already in the list button, now lets go click another one, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc, hit the finish button and pray it's actually going to bring the new titles in and let us get back to work in under 5 minutes of staring at "Optimizing database 13 of 39", which amazingly enough actually stopped being a problem after the update awhile back and has only started coming up again this week a few times, but the having to go back over and over again thing to fetch titles still is.

I've already asked for a download all button for all titles to be transferred at once but in light of that I was playing with Brand X software today and noticed we can just highlight all of them and add them at once with one click of select. Something like type the letter e, highlight and get the arrow down to the point that it rapid scrolls down highlitghting the entire list, then hit select once to get all 28,000+. Repeat with the rest of the vowels and numbers to make sure you have them all. (I know there are a few single letter titles to pick up individually that don't have a vowel.)

Does that sound like something easier to do then adding the button kinda like a halfway compromise. Think

Bamf!!! Photobucket Pages

The_Valiant_One
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 9:37:41 AM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

monidaw1 wrote:
You know how here if we want to add titles into our collection folder we hit search and the box comes up. We enter what we want, then to add any we have to click each result one at a time and the add button with sometimes having to go over and click the okay that one's already in the list button, now lets go click another one, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc, hit the finish button and pray it's actually going to bring the new titles in and let us get back to work in under 5 minutes of staring at "Optimizing database 13 of 39", which amazingly enough actually stopped being a problem after the update awhile back and has only started coming up again this week a few times, but the having to go back over and over again thing to fetch titles still is.

I've already asked for a download all button for all titles to be transferred at once but in light of that I was playing with Brand X software today and noticed we can just highlight all of them and add them at once with one click of select. Something like type the letter e, highlight and get the arrow down to the point that it rapid scrolls down highlitghting the entire list, then hit select once to get all 28,000+. Repeat with the rest of the vowels and numbers to make sure you have them all. (I know there are a few single letter titles to pick up individually that don't have a vowel.)

Does that sound like something easier to do then adding the button kinda like a halfway compromise. Think

Just remember that when it comes to programming everything "sounds" easier on the onset.

To read your post, it sounds as if the whole system is going to cave in on itself, man. lol Remember that when it comes to pulling stuff down from our system to YOURS, if yours isn't pulling down...it's something on your computer. That is unless EVERYONE'S doesn't work at which point it's something on our end.

I do like adding an "ADD ALL" button to the software (mainly because for small titles, I think it would be a good thing...my only question back to you is "You want us to program a button that saves you a few clicks?" Because either way, that information will have to be pulled down into your system from us if I understand what you're asking.

monidaw1
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 10:02:57 AM

Shop at My Store

Quote:
my only question back to you is "You want us to program a button that saves you a few clicks?"

It's not saving a few clicks. It's 7 days a week of having to go in and search for titles, typing in letters, waiting for the thing to connect, hoping this time it's going to install and go through the optimizing thing smoothly, over and over and over again.

Having the option, any way you include it, that they can all come in in a brief time and being done with the process for the most part except adding new titles occasionally adds up to a nice chunk of time savings. If I'm trying to ID a book and it's already in my catolog it's just a matter of a single handed, no typing, scrolling up and down the title list to check all the posabilities.

I imagine it's not a problem for most users not having 10's of thousands of titles to search through or for 7 days a week but any variation or option that can accomplish the task would speed things up. I just saw the highlight all of them and click once thing and hoped maybe it'd be something easy to allow here. No big change, just let the results box have more than one item highlighted or selected at once. I imagine most users might on occasion find the ability to add multiple results at once from smaller searches helpful also. Like say you only want x titles in your database catologue so you type x, highlight and add them all at once.

You know how pit crews time everything and make little tweeks trying to speed things up for race cars? I look at things the same way here. You shave a few minutes of searching plus a five minute jam or two optimizing a day, multiplied by 7 days a week it adds up to a rather significant time savings that can be used to upload more books. I used to have employee's that speed driving to and from jobs in the company truck on the clock. You shave 5 minutes off the morning drive, five minutes off the evening drive back to the shop and working a six day week you just cost yourself an hour of pay every week and since you're already getting overtime every week that's an hour a week of overtime you're not getting and risking a speeding ticket, higher insurance and all the other risks of higher speed at the same time. Over a full year you just cost yourself the more than a weeks pay added up. This is kinda the opposite. You shave a few minutes here, a few minutes there, a few minutes again in this step and the next thing you know, you're more productive. Big Grin

SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 10:35:34 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

monidaw1 wrote:
waiting for the thing to connect, hoping this time it's going to install and go through the optimizing thing smoothly

The thing is, this part is all on your end with your hardware. I had slowness and lag on my old computer, but when I got a new tower a couple years back CCL is zippy and problem free. This stuff isn't a software/programming issue.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
monidaw1
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 10:40:53 AM

Shop at My Store

Quote:
The thing is, this part is all on your end with your hardware. I had slowness and lag on my old computer, but when I got a new tower a couple years back CCL is zippy and problem free. This stuff isn't a software/programming issue.

I agree. Some of it is which is why I only mentioned it again now since maybe the allowing more selections at once by either holding down on the CTRL button or simply holding the left mouse button to highlight multiple items with the mouse thing might be easier than programming a button and of more use to the masses wanting to add smaller search results all at once. I had a little html experience back in the 90's so I know sometimes some of this stuff can be simple like just adding or removing a single dash or comma or a few letters at the right spot to make something function or maybe it was a glitch that prevented it from functioning originally that could be corrected. You don't know till you ask the geniuses. Hypnotized

Xylob
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 10:56:00 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Having an "Add All" button in the titles search for the software will only add what's currently out... You'll still have to add new titles to your software whenever something new is added to the database, regardless of whether it is a "BRAND NEW"! title or something that's been around for a long time but is just now getting added to CCL.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
monidaw1
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 11:02:10 AM

Shop at My Store

Quote:
Having an "Add All" button in the titles search for the software will only add what's currently out... You'll still have to add new titles to your software whenever something new is added to the database, regardless of whether it is a "BRAND NEW"! title or something that's been around for a long time but is just now getting added to CCL.

Mentioned that already in earlier requests with an autoupdate added so the list updates and invalidates as needed at startup but figure that's not desireable enough to be wanted by all so this "Add All" button would only be in the search results box for the actual titles you just searched or even easier than that, just figuring out why we can't left click highlight the results or hold down on CTRL and click on the one's we want with no button added at all.

I apologize if it seems like a huge complicated request. I may not know any better, but from standing on the outside looking in, I'm pretty sure the ability to hold the CTRL button and select multiple items or left click highlight with the mouse dates back to at least Windows 95 technology, maybe further than that so I just kinda figured it was an easy thing to request or an oversight/ glitch here that could be tracked down. Big Hug

Here goes the OCD kicking in. D'oh
Now that you've got me thinking about the original request a while back for an external "Add All" button to bring in all titles at once and autoupdate optional or manual update by reclicking the button every so often to get new titles, it occurs to me now that it would also be a great selling point for using the software on offline computers and maybe even in the POS (point of sale) venue. You pay your fee, install your software and download everything. Now you're free to move the computer wherever it's needed even without internet connections availible if you're not keeping inventory online.

I always pictured it in relation to how things were when I was a kid. The Encyclopedia salesman sold you the whole set. You didn't get the set but then every time you wanted to say use M-Mb you had to have both him and you availible to make another drop off. He just sold you the entire set and stopped by afterwards to sell updates and eventually better sets with newer information later.

monidaw1
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 5:17:37 PM

Shop at My Store

How many titles are there anyway? I've got over 12,000 pulled in already which I figure averages out to over 20 a day for the last year added although it's been kinda slow today so far with only 3 or 4 new titles added but I'm starting to accelerate. Party I'm thinking there has to be over 20,000 more to go but I can't find where the number is stored at.