Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Why was the Silver Age Superman such a jerk? Options
MoonKnight1
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:06:59 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Subscriber, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I recently acquired about a half box of Silver Age comics (mostly beaters) and while going through them I was surprised to discover a disturbing trend. The Silver Age Superman was a vain, misogynistic bully! I mean, I can understand why he could be tired of Jimmy Olsen for constantly getting himself in an impossible situation and then firing off his Superman alert watch (Zee!Zee!Zee!) - and I'm sure that it had to be annoying to always have to fend off the matrimonial zeal of Lois Lane, but does that justify the treatment they get from him? Check out these covers and tell me if Superman is a real a-hole or not.

Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #135 - pretty brutal
SGLL #63 - calls Lois and Lana stupid

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #30 - Ow, that hurts
SPJO #115 - No water for you!
SPJO #127 - Sounds like my first apartment...

World's Finest Comics #187 - Batman burned at the stake!?
WFC #154 - I know this is Superbaby but it still applies

I'm sure this can't be all of them. And furthermore, was it just Superman? Or have there been other super-bags?

Howie

I am proud to Announce that I now have 500+ Hero Ratings!!! Thanks to all of my Amazing Customers! Big things are in store for Hall of Heroes this year. It is my personal goal to add a long box a week to my Inventory starting in April, 2014.

Please frequent the VS Forum located here. Have you ever wondered if so-and-so could beat blankety-blank? Well, wonder no longer. Everything can be decided here.

Watch Episode 3 of Turn on AMC this Sunday, April 20th!

Hall Liquidations
CCComics
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:48:47 PM
Groups: Member

If you consider the times the whole world was pretty misogynistic. I mean how many movies of the era were women slapped in the face to help them gain their senses. It even crossed over into other areas such as race and ethnicity. I mean just look at the terms people used to use that were socially acceptable at the time and today are just plain awful.

I think you'll get a kick out of this website where it basically shows superheroes being jerks. It's hilarious.

http://superdickery.com/
KingZombie
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:13:24 PM

Groups: Member

I'm not a big fan of DC Silver Age so I haven't read all that much but I always got the impression that the covers were an exaggeration or misdirection from what actually happens in the story.

I think the covers were just an attempt to grab the reader's attention for shock value.

Peacefuldragon
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:23:36 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

KingZombie wrote:
I'm not a big fan of DC Silver Age so I haven't read all that much but I always got the impression that the covers were an exaggeration or misdirection from what actually happens in the story.

I think the covers were just an attempt to grab the reader's attention for shock value.

This.
Comics around this area were famous for shock covers. What better way to shock readers of the super-clean Superman than to show him being a jerk.

If all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.
outcast
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:49:04 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

I think there were a couple of things going on there.

1) To an extent, in society as a whole, attitudes toward women before the 1960s were not terribly enlightened. Many of the comics you cite were published after people ought to have known better, which brings us to...

2) Mort Weisinger was editor of all but one of the comics you cited, and he was not only arguably misogynistic, but also broadly regarded as a jerk! Weisinger edited from just after WWII until 1970, and his work shows little sign that he ever believed that women, African-Americans, or young people had any justification for their various protests or activist causes. "Unenlightened" barely scratches the surface in describing him.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:36:57 PM

Shop at My Store

Hey CCComics!
Thanks for the link to superdickery! I can't remember laughing so hard!

It's kind of odd seeing how un-PC people used to be. I've seen some war comics from the 40's and 50's where the Germans are rats and the Japanese have buck teeth - really offensive stuff to be honest. But nobody seemed to notice or care. Now we have kind of the opposite where people can be incredibly sensitive over minor things.

The Wonder Woman bondage covers from the 40's and 50's come to mind. How many times was she tied up or in chains or bound in some fashion? William Marston, who also developed the polygraph test, seemed like he was trying to invent a character who was both feminist, powerful and, I don't know, submissive? What's up with that?

I am proud to Announce that I now have 500+ Hero Ratings!!! Thanks to all of my Amazing Customers! Big things are in store for Hall of Heroes this year. It is my personal goal to add a long box a week to my Inventory starting in April, 2014.

Please frequent the VS Forum located here. Have you ever wondered if so-and-so could beat blankety-blank? Well, wonder no longer. Everything can be decided here.

Hall Liquidations
firecop322
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:06:37 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

This is actually funny as I was talking to the clerk at an out of town store I frequent about this a couple weeks ago. He had just put out a bunch of the silver age Lois Lane and Superman related books and laughed the whole time. I also passed on the superdickery.com web site for him to check out. On the other hand, my wife didn't find it all that funny.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:57:14 AM

Shop at My Store

firecop322 wrote:
I also passed on the superdickery.com web site for him to check out. On the other hand, my wife didn't find it all that funny.

Go figure. I guess there's no accounting for taste! (Just joking!)

Hall Liquidations