Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Geoff Johns off of Green Lantern Options
crackerjack1
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 12:11:53 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Geoff Johns will be "stepping down" as the ongoing Green Lantern writer. Issue #20 is his final issue.

My DC reading just got lighter as of May...

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

All-New Ultimates, All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Amazing X-Men, Angel & Faith, Avengers, Avengers World, Batman, Batman Eternal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Daredevil, Earth 2, Earth 2: World's End, East of West, Fantastic Four, Flash, Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians 3000, Harley Quinn, Injustice, Iron Fist, Justice League, Lazarus, Mega Man, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, New Avengers, Rocket Raccoon, Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo Team-Up, Sinestro, Spider-Man 2099, Spider-Woman, Superior Iron Man, Teen Titans, Teen Titans Go!, TMNT, TMNT New Animated Adventures, Tomb Raider, Ultimate Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, WWE Superstars

Mini Series

Avengers & X-Men: AXIS, AXIS: Carnage, AXIS: Hobgoblin, Death Vigil, Scarlet Spiders, Spider-Verse, Spider-Verse Team-Up, TMNT/Ghostbusters

All Spider-Man and TMNT Appearances and Variants
junkmonkey
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 12:36:12 PM

Groups: Media Host, Member, Moderator

WHAT?! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

BurningDoom
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 2:04:17 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

As fantastic as his run has been, it's about time. His storytelling was refreshing and exciting. But after reading a continuation of basically the same story for this long, it's starting to get a little stale.

I'm ready to go back to the high-adventure space stories Hal used to go on, again.

I'd love to see Johns return to the JSA again. But it looks like that is Robinson's project, for now.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
crackerjack1
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 2:19:36 PM

New 52 GL has been getting stale, and has no need for 4 ongoing titles as well. Hopefully this will trim those down a bit.

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

All-New Ultimates, All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Amazing X-Men, Angel & Faith, Avengers, Avengers World, Batman, Batman Eternal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Daredevil, Earth 2, Earth 2: World's End, East of West, Fantastic Four, Flash, Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians 3000, Harley Quinn, Injustice, Iron Fist, Justice League, Lazarus, Mega Man, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, New Avengers, Rocket Raccoon, Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo Team-Up, Sinestro, Spider-Man 2099, Spider-Woman, Superior Iron Man, Teen Titans, Teen Titans Go!, TMNT, TMNT New Animated Adventures, Tomb Raider, Ultimate Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, WWE Superstars

Mini Series

Avengers & X-Men: AXIS, AXIS: Carnage, AXIS: Hobgoblin, Death Vigil, Scarlet Spiders, Spider-Verse, Spider-Verse Team-Up, TMNT/Ghostbusters

scotracycowles
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 3:55:43 PM

Groups: Member

crackerjack1 wrote:
New 52 GL has been getting stale, and has no need for 4 ongoing titles as well. Hopefully this will trim those down a bit.

Yep....Johns is my favorite modern writer, but it is probably time for him to move on. I still get the GL books, but they are usually at the bottom of my pile.
padreglcc
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:49:00 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Not only is Johns done on Green Lantern in May, but it looks like the rest of the creative teams on the GL family of books are also ending their runs. Peter Tomasi and Fernando Pasarin are done with GL Corps as of issue #20. Tony Bedard is done with GL New Guardians as of issue #20. And Peter Milligan is done with Red Lanterns as of issue #20. Looks like it'll be brand new creative teams after Wrath of the First Lantern wraps up.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
crackerjack1
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:33:34 AM

padreglcc wrote:
Not only is Johns done on Green Lantern in May, but it looks like the rest of the creative teams on the GL family of books are also ending their runs. Peter Tomasi and Fernando Pasarin are done with GL Corps as of issue #20. Tony Bedard is done with GL New Guardians as of issue #20. And Peter Milligan is done with Red Lanterns as of issue #20. Looks like it'll be brand new creative teams after Wrath of the First Lantern wraps up.

I just read this too. This is the stupidest move unless they have some A List talent coming on. They just made it super easy to say goodbye to GL altogether.

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

Mini Series

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:07:18 PM

crackerjack1 wrote:
padreglcc wrote:

I just read this too. This is the stupidest move unless they have some A List talent coming on. They just made it super easy to say goodbye to GL altogether.

I don't think it's a bad move at all. I'm most likely the biggest GL fan here on this forum; and even I am getting bored with Johns' direction after what, 7 years at the helm? And the rest of the creative teams seem to be following his lead.

Geoff Johns is the perfect example of even the best writers can become stale after a long period.

We may not get as good as quality with the next creative teams, but at least we'll get a breath of fresh air.

crackerjack1
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:56:10 PM

I don't disagree that the storytelling is stale, but a complete overhaul of the creative teams should have been done at #1.

Speaking personally, I started GL when Hal died and Kyle took over. Loved the stories with Kyle and was even ok when Johns brought Hal back, but with Johns leaving the book (as well as all of his collaborators) I have no want or need to continue and will look at this as 4 less books from "The New 48" or whatever number they're on now. Heck as of May I won't be getting Ravagers any more and Suicide Squad and Red Hood are doing complete creative switches too so that's 7 books gone for me.

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

Mini Series

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:28:50 PM

I'd like to see Ron Marz return for a whack at it. He did wonders with Kyle Rayner, when most fans expected him to be temporary. Let's see what he can do with Hal Jordan and a full-fledged GL Corps.

crackerjack1
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:27:55 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
I'd like to see Ron Marz return for a whack at it. He did wonders with Kyle Rayner, when most fans expected him to be temporary. Let's see what he can do with Hal Jordan and a full-fledged GL Corps.

I would love to see Ron Marz come back. Big Grin

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

Mini Series

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:44:28 PM

I predict that Green Lantern: New Guardians will be the next title on the DC chopping block due to these changes.

padreglcc
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:07:30 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

BurningDoom wrote:
I predict that Green Lantern: New Guardians will be the next title on the DC chopping block due to these changes.

Really? I would have guessed Red Lanterns.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:39:53 PM

padreglcc wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

Yeah, probably that first. Or both.

crackerjack1
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:41:30 PM

padreglcc wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

I definitely agree Red Lanterns would be next. However, I wouldn't be surprised if both were canned in the same month.

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

Mini Series

padreglcc
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:27:27 AM

DC has announced the new creative teams for the GL books:

Green Lantern = Robert Venditti (writer) and Billy Tan (art)
GL Corps = Joshua Hale Fialkov (writer) and Bernard Chang (art)
New Guardians = Justin Jordan (writer) and Brad Walker (art)
Red Lanterns = Joshua Hale Fialkov (writer) and Alessandro Vitti (art)

Additionally, the GL family is getting a fifth book, focused on Larfleeze, by Keith Giffen and Scott Kolins.

crackerjack1
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:32:51 AM

padreglcc wrote:
DC has announced the new creative teams for the GL books:

Green Lantern = Robert Venditti (writer) and Billy Tan (art)
GL Corps = Joshua Hale Fialkov (writer) and Bernard Chang (art)
New Guardians = Justin Jordan (writer) and Brad Walker (art)
Red Lanterns = Joshua Hale Fialkov (writer) and Alessandro Vitti (art)

Additionally, the GL family is getting a fifth book, focused on Larfleeze, by Keith Giffen and Scott Kolins.

It's been confirmed then...I'm off of Green Lantern.

EDIT: Side note on what books would get canned. New Guardians is the second best selling GL book just above GL Corps. So not sure if that one is anywhere near being in the running for cancellation with Red Lanterns.

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

Mini Series

BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:42:18 AM

^ Not even gonna give the new teams a chance before calling it quits?

crackerjack1
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:26:20 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
^ Not even gonna give the new teams a chance before calling it quits?

Never liked Hal Jordan before Geoff Johns. No reason to waste money on 4-5 books on a chance.

Differnce is I may read them, but I'm definitely not getting them. I read most Marvel and DC to ensure I can talk about them with the customers at my store, but these will 100% not be a part of my collection.

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

Mini Series

red_k_comics
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:55:45 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Geoff Johns is single-handedly responsible for catapulting the Hal Jordan Green Lantern into my favorite heroes of the DC Universe with Batman. I'm a little concerned what's going to happen when he leaves, because even though the story has gotten a little bland lately, he has done an overall great job with the character. I'm not giving up on the books yet, so I'll definitely keep getting all of the GL related titles until they get to a point that I question why I'm still getting them.