Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Getting started ? Options
JesseMom
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:09:22 PM
Groups: Member

Hi, I'm Jesse's Mom, he died almost 3 years ago ( brain tumor ) and I've got his wonderful, extensive, imaculate collection that I have to start letting go to new homes..... any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.
He has everything catalogued and in pristine condition. I'm thinking to sell one box at a time (?)
again appreciate any help - this is a hard task for me but it's time to begin, slowly.
There are figures etc as well as other collectable.
thanks Comic Collector's in advance Batting Eyelashes
scotteaves
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:29:03 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

First - I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad to a brain tumor almost 8 years ago now. Not something I would wish on anyone.

Now to the fun part...

Are you looking to sell them individually? If you're not familiar with comics, you've got a long road ahead of you. Learning how to grade comics is part of it - and that's not something to take lightly. Everyone tends to grade them a bit differently so the potential for an unsatisfied customer is a relatively common occurrence.

Are you looking to sell them in bulk? Possibly to a seller on this site - might be a better bet. Less 'work' on your part but most likely less of a $$ return as well.

I'm sure there are some sellers on here who can help you understand the challenges you'll face taking either route.

One other item that might help people give you some guidance would be to list some of the main titles of the comics. That will help let people know the era of the comics and the genre (Superhero, horror, kids, etc.)

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:09:27 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Hello and welcome to the site. I understand how hard it will be for you to sell the books. My brother died two and a half years ago, and I inherited his extensive Transformers collection. Still haven't yet begun the task of liquidating it, although I'm sure he'd want me to profit from it rather than keep it in boxes.

As for your comics....

I wouldn't recommend selling on a site like this, unless you wanted to learn the ins and outs of comic grading, which takes a long time to master. The other option would be a site like ebay. You could part them out there, but not leave any reference to what each comic's grade is (just scans/pictures). But then you run the risk of selling off the good stuff, and being left with the not-so-valuable books that you won't be able to get rid of.

If you don't want anything remaining, I would say sell them in lots, either by the box or by the title. That way you're more certain to get rid of everything eventually.

If you don't want to list individually or in lots and just want to be done with it quickly, simply sell to another dealer. Someone here might be interested, but Craigslist is a good, local way to get rid of them. But do your research--find out what they are worth. A dealer would pay anywhere from 20% to 50% of that value.

Hope this helps.