Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Superman Triangle Numbering Options
illma3
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 6:36:32 AM
Groups: Member

Orite heres the story....
I recently obtained 2 long boxes full of Superman Vol. 2, Action Comics and Adventures of Superman. They all have the very confusing "triangle numbering". Will I get whats going on if I don't have the numbers directly before or after a certain issue? Should I wait till I have completed all the runs involving the triangle numbering or just read them anyway? Was the triangle numbering a success?

stvscomics
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 8:35:47 AM

Sounds like you have the Death of Superman story. You would also need Superman The Man of Steel for this story as well as tie-in issues. The main story are in the titles you mentioned and the Man of Steel with the exception of Justice League America #69 which has a Doomsday story and Justice League America #70 which has Funeral For a Friend story.The triangles help in the 4 titles of Superman but I don't know about the tie-ins.Hope that helps.
firecop322
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 9:21:50 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

The triangle numbers started in around 1991 and ran through 2000ish between the four, sometimes five superman titles and the related one shot specials. This just helped keep everything straight as to how everything fell into order since there was so much stuff floating around at the time. For some stories you would need the whole run, but some were also one issue stories.

The four main superman titles of that time were Superman, Superman: Man of Steel, Superman: Action Comics and The Adventures of Superman. From 1995-1999 There was Superman: Man of Tomorrow, which was a fill in for the months were there was a fifth week, so there would be a Superman book Published every week.
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 12:02:12 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

The triangle numbering was the numbering in which you should read the issues. There were 5 Superman titles at the time and sometimes you weren't sure what issue you should read before the next in the same month, and this helped with that. The triangle numbering was restarted at 1 with each new publishing year.

-Nate-

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Batman007
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 2:30:13 PM

There are some books you could skip if they contained single issue stories, but for any storyline that spanned across multiple issues, you'll probably want to track down the missing issues. The single issues, however, may contain events that further the plot so I think you'll probably want to fill in all the gaps. Finding the issues you're missing shouldn't be too hard or expensive since most of the 90's Superman books are pretty common and are usually found in my LCS' dollar box.

I think Triangle numbering made things much easier to follow. The numbers went in order and could be differentiated by year. You can also refer to the back of each issue and it should tell you what issue continues the storyline in case there's some one-shots involved with unique titles.