Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
How do you grade a sealed comic? Options
MoonKnight1
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:42:13 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Subscriber, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

What kind of advice can you give me for grading sealed comics - poly-bagged, Dynamic Forces, etc. Do you consider the condition of the bag? You obviously can't see the comic easily to inspect it and don't want to open the packaging. I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Thanks!
Howie

I am proud to Announce that I now have 500+ Hero Ratings!!! Thanks to all of my Amazing Customers! Big things are in store for Hall of Heroes this year. It is my personal goal to add a long box a week to my Inventory starting in April, 2014.

Please frequent the VS Forum located here. Have you ever wondered if so-and-so could beat blankety-blank? Well, wonder no longer. Everything can be decided here.

Watch Episode 4 of Turn on AMC this Sunday, April 27th!

Hall Liquidations
jbeeman85
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:04:10 PM

Groups: Member

I'm not an expert at all when it comes to grading comics but I think that on sealed comics I believe you'd have to look at the condition of the bag (similar to how you grade action figures or diecast cars). If it has tears in it or is discolored, I personally think that that would make it less desirable to people seeking high grade comics. But don't listen to me, my primary reason for buying comics is to read them, not set them on a shelf to look pretty (for that I have my NASCAR diecasts).
BruceReville
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:28:36 PM

What he^ said - and what is really sad is the bags used for polybagged comics is usually the lowest grade plastic and terrible for long term storage - yet if you open it then it is no longer considered mint by some and some would never grade a polybagged comic mint - it's a d*mn if you do d*mn if you don't ordeals.

Now for Dynamic Forces I assume you are talking about the ones that come with a COA and the BIG DF STICKER sealing the bag and board. Those you just go by the visual of the comic as you see it. Those definately lose value if you open the bag and break the seal. Normally the comic inside can be graded as NM or VF.

If you want to double insure the protectability of either type of comic above - just get a era size higher (Typically a Silver-Age Bag and Board) and store them in that - if you have Whitman 3 Packs use Golden Age size.

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:37:38 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

MoonKnight1 wrote:
What kind of advice can you give me for grading sealed comics - poly-bagged, Dynamic Forces, etc. Do you consider the condition of the bag? You obviously can't see the comic easily to inspect it and don't want to open the packaging. I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Thanks!
Howie

If its a sealed polybag like say Mcfarlanes Spiderman #1 I usually do a visual inspection as best as I can then slightly downgrade for those unforeseen blemishes. So a NM comci would go VF, VF to F/VF etc. I also usually make a comment about the bag. So if comic is in VF condition but bag dirty as all hell or has few small holes I make notes of that.

If its a DF comic then I would open, inspect and reseal.

BruceReville wrote:

Now for Dynamic Forces I assume you are talking about the ones that come with a COA and the BIG DF STICKER sealing the bag and board. Those you just go by the visual of the comic as you see it. Those definately lose value if you open the bag and break the seal. Normally the comic inside can be graded as NM or VF.

I have to disagree on this. I have sold tons and tons of DF comics and have never ever noticed a difference in pricing based on if seal is broken. In fact 95% of the buyers never even ask if it has seal intact, though a very few do. I would rather list a comic in a non DF bag that looks nice then list a mint comic in some beat to hell cheap a$$ DF bag just for the sticker.

BruceReville
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:44:57 PM

freakdylan wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:

Thanks!
Howie

If its a sealed polybag like say Mcfarlanes Spiderman #1 I usually do a visual inspection as best as I can then slightly downgrade for those unforeseen blemishes. So a NM comci would go VF, VF to F/VF etc. I also usually make a comment about the bag. So if comic is in VF condition but bag dirty as all hell or has few small holes I make notes of that.

If its a DF comic then I would open, inspect and reseal.

BruceReville wrote:

I have to disagree on this. I have sold tons and tons of DF comics and have never ever noticed a difference in pricing based on if seal is broken. In fact 95% of the buyers never even ask if it has seal intact, though a very few do. I would rather list a comic in a non DF bag that looks nice then list a mint comic in some beat to hell cheap a$$ DF bag just for the sticker.

I always assumed it lost value and I have to admit that I have actually broken the seal and repacked the comics in other bags due to the original bag being dirty and dingy. To as long as I have the COA - I am happy.

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:51:43 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

BruceReville wrote:

I've always been able to (slowly) peel those DF holo stickers to get a book out and put it back. No problems or evidence of anything being done.

Now, if it doesn't have the DF sticker on the back at all... That should definitely be sold at discount. It is no longer the original product. Same (to me) as the Wizard #1/2s that came in sleeves. I've been finding a LOT of those pulled out of the sleeves lately. Frustrating.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
DRUMCZAR
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:59:07 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

SwiftMann wrote:
BruceReville wrote:

I've always been able to (slowly) peel those DF holo stickers to get a book out and put it back. No problems or evidence of anything being done.

Now, if it doesn't have the DF sticker on the back at all... That should definitely be sold at discount. It is no longer the original product. Same (to me) as the Wizard #1/2s that came in sleeves. I've been finding a LOT of those pulled out of the sleeves lately. Frustrating.

I've got a Lot of DF books (close to 200+ listed in my store w/more to come). Unfortunately Dynamic Forces can be inconsistant with the Holofoil Sticker. I've purchased many of their Books directly thru the DF Site & they don't always have the sticker on them on them.

PEACE!+

FREE SHIPPING (US Only) STARTS AT $20(Media) / $30 (Priority)
(US Orders only)

ALL INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENTS GET FREE INSURANCE & TRACKING!!!

SHOP AT MY STORE - - ADC'S COLLECTION!

I AM HIGHLY COMMITTED TO MAKING IT ONE OF THE BEST BUYING EXPERIENCES YOU'VE EVER HAD!!!

BALTIMORE RAVENS SUPERBOWL XLVII CHAMPIONS!!!

GO RAVENS !!!
ComicReaderBatman
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 2:57:45 PM

I have a polybagged Web of Spider-Man #90 and whenever i look at it I can never tell if there are small creases or binding mess ups or if it is just the bag.

I wear a mask. And that mask, it's not to hide who I am, but to create what I am.