Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
What is Your Spending Limit on a Single Comic Issue? Options
BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 2:07:10 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

What is Your Spending Limit on a Single Comic Issue?

Forever, it seems, my limit has been no more $10 on a single issue, and for $10 it better be an issue I really want.

But now my collection has grown so much (thanks to the sellers on CCL, mostly), that I have a lot of the cheap and common stories I've wanted to read, and I'm actually thinking about getting a little more spendy for choice collectible issues.

Where are you at on this?

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
The_Valiant_One
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 2:41:40 PM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
What is Your Spending Limit on a Single Comic Issue?

Forever, it seems, my limit has been no more $10 on a single issue, and for $10 it better be an issue I really want.

But now my collection has grown so much (thanks to the sellers on CCL, mostly), that I have a lot of the cheap and common stories I've wanted to read, and I'm actually thinking about getting a little more spendy for choice collectible issues.

Where are you at on this?

The closer I get to completing a particular title, I find that I spend more money on fillers to help me complete this goal, especially if it's a set I really love. However, if all I see are expensive copies, I will wait it out for months before I complete this set. I just tell myself the book is mine, I just haven't picked it up yet ;)

For example: I won't pay $35-$50 for a copy of SPAWN #150. I have found them for less than $10 each and even .25. This means that there's a chance I could find them again at this price. However, if I have 14 out of the 15 different variants for TRANSFORMERS INFILTRATION #1 that I've been spending the last 2 years trying to complete a set for, then I'll pay out the nose for it.

BruceReville
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 4:29:43 PM

Groups: Member

My limit is $50.00 for a single issue - the most I paid is $550.00 - cheapest I paid was nothing for a box of Archie's (About 100 Issues)

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

Khaine
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 4:31:59 PM
Groups: Member, Subscriber

I try to make a stand at $50 dollars sometimes i will go more, I will never go more than $100 as thats my monthly fun money allowance.
Xylob
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 5:09:50 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I don't think I've ever paid more than $20, and that was really pushing it for me.
One of the books in my sig is going for $150 'buy it now' on that auction site right now (FREE shipping!), there's no way in hell... the last one that sold went for $35ish. That guy is living in a dream world.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
ratrapp
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 6:10:12 PM

the most I've spent was $290 on a really nice flash #110(first kid flash) but that was a moment of insanity.now my limit is about $50 for a single issue.
Spider-Man
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 6:48:18 PM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

The most I have spent up to now has been $165.00 for a nice copy of Amazing Spider-Man #11 (April 1964). To complete my collection and get any earlier issues, I know I will have to spend more. I try to find one at a reasonable cost and treat myself once a year.

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

4saken1
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 7:16:34 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

The_Valiant_One wrote:
The closer I get to completing a particular title, I find that I spend more money on fillers to help me complete this goal, especially if it's a set I really love.

I'm right there with you, my man! If there's half a dozen or more issues for me to complete a series, I'll likely wait it out for some ridiculously low price that is likely never never going to materialize. If, however, it's the last issue that I need to complete a collection, I'll jump at the drop of a hat at just about any price somebody is willing to lay down.

For the record, the most I have payed for any single issue is just over $100. The way I rationalized it was by telling myself that if push came to shove I could also sell it for a similar amount.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

freakdylan
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 9:41:03 AM

Damn I wish I had the self control to set a limit on myself, but when I get money I have to spend it before the wife does, or some stupid bill hits my house.

The most I have ever spent on one single comic is $600, and sadly I had to sell it 2 weeks later for $600, so in reality just rented the book for 2 weeks at a cost of about $50. At Wits' End

I do set limits on what i will pay for each comic I need for my collection, but sadly some of those prices are going to be high, I do always try to get best deal I can, when I can. Sometimes though i will pay a little extra for a comic if I know it is graded correctly with no surprises.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

kisstour03
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 5:20:24 PM

I'm a cheap ass. In the last two years that I've been back collecting comics I haven't paid more than $10 for a single issue. That's why my goal of a complete set of Incredible Hulk has been at a standstill lately. Most of the books I need now are earlier issues. And while a lot of them aren't stupid expensive, the cheap ass in me says "Twenty bucks for one book!!! Bah (banned) that."
teh_longinator
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 5:34:13 PM

kisstour03 wrote:
I'm a cheap ass. In the last two years that I've been back collecting comics I haven't paid more than $10 for a single issue. That's why my goal of a complete set of Incredible Hulk has been at a standstill lately. Most of the books I need now are earlier issues. And while a lot of them aren't stupid expensive, the cheap ass in me says "Twenty bucks for one book!!! Bah (banned) that."

I feel ya on this one, man...

I don't really have a limit. Basically what I can afford when I go to conventions. Whether it's a single $200 book, or 100 $2 books... It's all good :)

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Xylob
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 5:50:20 PM

kisstour03 wrote:
yeah, the bulk of my wishlist now is early Flash, Green Lantern, and Justice League of America issues to complete my GL collection. It's all pricey and makes for slow collecting.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Kingsman
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 7:14:46 PM

The most I have ever paid for a single issue was $75 back in 1990(ish) for a VF+ copy of Giant Size X-Men #1 at a comic book convention at a mall in Akron, Ohio. The most I will pay for a single issue these days is between $20-$25.

On a related note, I will not pay over $5 for a newly released issue.
Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 11:33:59 PM

It all really depends on the book. And my wallet.

I don't typically have a lot of spare spending money. I certainly wouldn't pay the asking prices for most of the current "hot" books. I love Saga, but if I hadn't purchased #1 when it came out, I wouldn't spend the $100+ that it's going for now.

I have, in the past, spent $100 on a single issue. Twice, that I can think of. And I dropped $50 on my Avengers #1 a couple of years ago.

After I pay off my current order with Pat, I'm thinking of picking up a couple of higher priced books from him.
fenix1977
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 12:47:29 AM

Depends on if I need the book bad enough to fill out a run. The most I spent was on the first appearance of Cable.

Mad Bloggings

Xylob
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 9:53:08 AM

Xylob wrote:
I don't think I've ever paid more than $20, and that was really pushing it for me...
Just pulled the report in CCL - $18.99 is my record:

Previous record was $17.99:

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

SwiftMann
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 2:22:39 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I haven't paid more than $20. And that was recently on a book I should have done more research on if I hadn't been trying to be CCL faithful in my buying.

I am getting to the point that I've exhausted most of the $1-2 books from my wantlis, so I'm having to raise my previous limit of cover (or less) to about $10.

This, of course, keeps me from getting Uncanny X-Men #266.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 5:32:15 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Kingsman wrote:
The most I have ever paid for a single issue was $75 back in 1990(ish) for a VF+ copy of Giant Size X-Men #1 at a comic book convention at a mall in Akron, Ohio. The most I will pay for a single issue these days is between $20-$25.

On a related note, I will not pay over $5 for a newly released issue.

Judging by your posts in the Recent Comic Book Pick Ups thread, I would say you don't have to pay more than $2 for any newer, hot, scarce variant.
Nerdgasm_Comics
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 9:08:49 PM

I just spent $400 on a beautiful copy of house of secrets 92, but that is my holy grail as far as books go. Before that was $100 on a swamp thing #1

"Get your Nerd ON!"

If you find a comic in my Inventory that doesn't have a cover scan or one in approval. Send me a PM with the issue name and number, and I'll give you $1.00 in store credit per issue!

If you can't find what you are looking for at my store try these AWESOME stores!
Alpha Comics, Comics Castle, Gryphon Comics and Games, Curious Goods & Comics II, EastBay Comics, HeroLand Comics, The Comic Book Stop,

Rex_Kramer
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 12:24:11 PM

About $35. I recently traded a used guitar for a FF #8, so I'm not sure if that counts Big Grin