Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Comic Book Reviews » Other Reviews » Redneck #1 by Image (SOME SPOILERS)
Thundercron
Monday, April 24, 2017 12:43:27 AM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
First off, if we could get this into the database so I can sell some of these, that would be great (I've already sent a new title change request).

OKAY. Now that the business stuff is out of the way....

Let me just say that I don't get to read comics too much anymore. Sure, I still have my personal collection, and I can give you a short list of really great stuff to read from back in the day. But I'm really focused on the selling/shipping/uploading part of it anymore. Couple that with my real job, family, etc. I just don't take the time for it, as maybe I should. All work and no play and all that....

So I start hearing about this new Redneck comic from Image. It's currently the hottest thing right now. Prices jacked on ebay. Shops selling out. Tremendous hype. So I picked up a few. As I'm sitting at my computer listing stuff, I picked it up. And I read it. And after hearing all the hype, and after giving this thing my full attention for AT LEAST a good ten minutes, I have to say--I really have to say....

I don't get it.

Seriously halfway through this book, as I'm piecing the plotpoints together, I think "OH! Twilight!". That's the connection I'm making here. Family of vampires, around for hundreds or thousands of years. Trying to assimilate into a small town while at the same time being separate from it. Plus another group in the town that knows who the vampire family really is, with a precarious truce involved that can crumble at any moment. Yeah, this is Twilight minus the romance/love triangle. Maybe it'll evolve into something greater, but that's just my initial thought comparison. And that's not a good sign, or something the writer was shooting for.

So this is considered a high point in comic storytelling? This is what people get all jazzed about in comics now? I overheard someone talking about it at the comic shop "oh yeah, it's really well written." Uh, okay.

Am I just being too critical here? Am I totally Old Man River now? Eh, I don't know. You tell me. It just may be a while before I read another (new) funnybook.

ratrapp
Monday, April 24, 2017 5:49:31 PM
Groups: Member
and this is why I read very few new comics anymore.i was reading dk3 and it takes so long between issues to come out I forgot what it is even about.i got spoiled back in the 80s reading the original secret wars and crisis on infinite earths.i started out again with the new 52 launch and picked up a bunch of titles.i slowly started thinning them out until I was down to just the flash and batman.i dropped down to just the flash just out of the sake it's barry allen as the flash.
icarus201
Monday, April 24, 2017 6:40:07 PM
Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host
#1 is added. I understand there are a couple of variant covers too. If you have either, or both, Thundercron, would you kindly add them to the database, please?
Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Thundercron
Monday, April 24, 2017 7:11:14 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
icarus201 wrote:
#1 is added. I understand there are a couple of variant covers too. If you have either, or both, Thundercron, would you kindly add them to the database, please?

Thanks for approving the title and adding #1. Sorry, but all I have is the regular cover.