Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » TV » Marvel’s What If? Getting Animated for Disney+ Series

Marvel’s What If? Getting Animated for Disney+ Series

monidaw1
Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:09:14 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Quote:
Marvel’s What If? Getting Animated for Disney+ Series

/Film reported exclusively on March 12 that Marvel Studios will produce a new animated series based on Marvel Comics’ What If? for the Disney+ streaming service.

Per the article: “Like the comics, this animated anthology series will provide stories that explore how the Marvel Cinematic Universe might have unfolded if key moments in its history had not occurred as they did in recognized canon. For example, one of the episodes will adapt What If? Vol.1 #47, which explored the idea of 'What if Loki had found the hammer of Thor?' …

“The What If comic book series launched in February 1977 and has continued in runs off and on since then, accumulating almost 200 issues in its 9-volume run. Some of the concepts were interesting ways to tell literally impossible stories (like, What if the X-Men died on their first mission?), some were fan service to solve great nerd arguments (like “what if Venom possessed The Punisher?”), and others were just so insanely weird and ridiculous (like “what if Iron Man was trapped in the time of King Arthur?”).

From todays Diamond Daily. Already getting sales and seeing price jumps, especially on #1.
lcfrick
Wednesday, March 13, 2019 2:16:38 PM
Groups: Member
9 volume run?

They mean 2 volume run with a combined 161 issues and 38 one-shots.

I'm sure they're looking at the reprinted collections of all the one-shots and counting those as volumes, but still...

Luckily I'm all caught up on the What Ifs except for a few of the most recent group of one-shots, so I don't need to worry about shelling out extra money for any of them because of this.
bluedevil2002
Wednesday, March 13, 2019 8:07:36 PM
Each batch of one shots counts as a "volume".
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:59:41 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
bluedevil2002 wrote:

lcfrick wrote:
9 volume run?

I'm sure they're looking at the reprinted collections of all the one-shots and counting those as volumes, but still...

Luckily I'm all caught up on the What Ifs except for a few of the most recent group of one-shots, so I don't need to worry about shelling out extra money for any of them because of this.

Holy cow, if they're counting each What If? one-shot as a volume than 9 is way too low a number. Nerd

That press release was from Diamond? You would think somebody there would know something about comics. Shame on You

I love all of the What if...? stuff. Of course some of it was better than others but I always got a kick out of alternate timelines, etc.

I would love to watch those when they come out but I hate giving more money to Disney...Broken Heart

Howie's Saying of the Week

There are seven days in the week and "Someday" isn't one of them - Anon

Take a look at my eBay Store! Hall Liquidations
bluedevil2002
Thursday, March 14, 2019 9:18:13 AM
MoonKnight1 wrote:
bluedevil2002 wrote:

lcfrick wrote:
9 volume run?

Holy cow, if they're counting each What If? one-shot as a volume than 9 is way too low a number. Nerd

I was just going off what I remember reading on Wikipedia, but even 9 volumes is too low based on that list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_What_If_issues

I think they picked 9 volumes because it was "volume 9" that they released #200.