Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Newsstand Editions » What if a Newsstand Edition has fewer pages than Direct Sales? Variant worthy?

What if a Newsstand Edition has fewer pages than Direct Sales? Variant worthy?

MoonKnight1
Tuesday, October 22, 2019 4:36:21 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I have two copies of this comic: Green Lantern (1990) 156-A

One of them is Direct Sales and the other is newsstand. Not only does the Direct Dales edition have an 8 page insert with a sneak preview of Gotham Central it also has several extra pages of ads. Does this qualify as a variant? I know that just being newsstand doesn't make it one but with the additional page count I'm wondering.

Price and cover are identical, except for the bar code. Page count: Newsstand 32; DS - 48.

Sorry if I have asked this before. Seems like I might have. Stupid short term memory...Confused

Thanks!

Howie's Saying of the Week

A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else - Bette Davis

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
lcfrick
Tuesday, October 22, 2019 4:41:45 PM
Groups: Member
I think this did come up before and iirc the consensus was that short of finding a consistent pattern of one version having the insert and another version not having the insert, there's no way to be sure that the insert wasn't just removed from the one version.

Though ALSO iirc, this was dealing with the same type of insert (Gotham Central #1/Gotham Knights #50), so maybe this does help establish a pattern.
Thundercron
Tuesday, October 22, 2019 5:55:20 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Some early 1990's Marvel books had four pages of slick ads in direct editions which are missing from the newsstand versions. If Mark Jewelers editions can't be added, then these won't be, either.

Although this Green Lantern issue intrigues me. Are you saying it has more ad pages PLUS the glossy insert? Does that mean there are extra pages of ads, or do the ads take the place of other content?
SwiftMann
Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:08:44 PM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
It's a Jan cover date so...

I remember Joe Quesada talking about stuff the 4th quarter issues with extra ads because the made SO much extra revenue. Retailers (banned)ed because of the extra cost of shipping. Maybe DC did something similar but only in Direct Market.

SwiftMann
Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:19:29 PM
Shop at My Store
And honestly, I'm fully in the camp that all Direct and Newsstand should be variants.

The main problem is stores having both listed as A variants right now and buyers not necessarily getting the direct if stores dont relist (which they wont because it would be painful).
Thundercron
Tuesday, October 22, 2019 11:33:35 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
SwiftMann wrote:
And honestly, I'm fully in the camp that all Direct and Newsstand should be variants.

The main problem is stores having both listed as A variants right now and buyers not necessarily getting the direct if stores dont relist (which they wont because it would be painful).

I've said this before and I'll continue to say it. In response to Dan's concerns, I would propose an update that adds a new option to each comic listing. Much as we already have the option to select a condition to each listing, there could be a feature labeled "Direct/Newsstand." There will be three options in the drop down: N/S (not specified), Direct, and Newsstand. Everything defaults to N/S. The sellers who wish to participate can choose one of the other designations. This would also solve the problem of mucking up the database with having to add newsstand variants to every listing.

Carry on.
SwiftMann
Wednesday, October 23, 2019 9:16:56 AM
Shop at My Store
Thundercron wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

I've said this before and I'll continue to say it. In response to Dan's concerns, I would propose an update that adds a new option to each comic listing. Much as we already have the option to select a condition to each listing, there could be a feature labeled "Direct/Newsstand." There will be three options in the drop down: N/S (not specified), Direct, and Newsstand. Everything defaults to N/S. The sellers who wish to participate can choose one of the other designations. This would also solve the problem of mucking up the database with having to add newsstand variants to every listing.

Carry on.

More devil's advocate than actually disagreeing since your suggestion is far better than nothing.

1) That would require someone to actual program something and that's just not going to happen.

2) Not everything has two versions.

3) Personally, I like seeing the different covers or UPCs so not having the actual image (via a variant listing) would be a bummer.
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, October 23, 2019 10:52:03 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Thundercron wrote:
Although this Green Lantern issue intrigues me. Are you saying it has more ad pages PLUS the glossy insert? Does that mean there are extra pages of ads, or do the ads take the place of other content?

Yes. In addition to the 8 page Gotham Central insert there are 8 additional pages of ads (four pages, front and back) in the Direct sales version. I did a page count assuming that it would be 40 (32 regular pages plus the 8 page insert) but came up with 48. Went through again and compared with the Newsstand and discovered the extra ad pages.

Maybe that's the extra revenue that Quesada was talking about. Sell more ads, cover price doesn't change, more money for Marvel.

Howie's Saying of the Week

A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else - Bette Davis

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations