Welcome Guest Active Topics

Poll Question: What is your Taping Style?

• 1 Strip, right in the middle
    36%
    4 vote(s)
  • 2 Strips - one near each corner
    0%
    0 vote(s)
  • 3 Strips - corner, middle, corner
    0%
    0 vote(s)
  • I Use Self Taping Bags
    18%
    2 vote(s)
  • I Don't Tape, I Tuck
    9%
    1 vote(s)
  • Diagonal
    18%
    2 vote(s)
  • I Use Glue
    0%
    0 vote(s)
  • Some Combination of the Above
    9%
    1 vote(s)
  • A Different Style
    9%
    1 vote(s)
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, November 27, 2019 2:41:27 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I'm guessing that most people reading this are comic book collectors and a lot, if not all, of you store them in bags/boards. I've seen numerous discussions on which bags or which boards people prefer but I have never seen a discussion on Taping Techniques.

Until now.

I have my own preferred method, it has changed from time to time but I have now settled on a standard. Having purchased numerous collections from others it is obvious that methods vary wildly. I have seen some crazy stuff like duct tape or masking tape, some have so much tape on them that you almost need a jackhammer to get into it and I got a box of books last year that the guy had melted the bags closed somehow.

So I am curious, How Do You Tape?

1 Strip, right in the Middle
Easy-peasy, 1 strip right down the middle. I prefer perpendicular but horizontal works OK, I guess. This technique is prone to dog ears.

2 Strips - one near each corner
Uses more tape than the above but does keep the corners tight. If you are not taut enough could cause the middle to bow out.

3 Strips - corner, middle, corner
More secure than the two above but does use more product. Also helps keep slack out of the middle.

I Use Self Taping Bags
Extremely secure but those plastic bits you have to pull off to get to the adhesive end up all over the place. These have a tendency to wrinkle over time in my experience.

I Don't Tape, I Tuck
Who needs tape? Just tuck the bag inside, right behind the board.

Diagonal
You are crazy.

I Use Glue
I got a collection a couple of years ago that the previous owner used a glue stick to seal all of the bags. I guess it worked but it doesn't make it easy to get inside. If you don't plan on reading the book for a while...

Some Combination of the Above
Maybe you use more than one method? I do!

A Different Style
I'm sure there's something I haven't thought of or forgot about. Anyone have a different style?

Howie's Saying of the Week

We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it - William Faulkner

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, November 27, 2019 2:53:16 PM
Shop at My Store
Let's face it, tape is expensive. And I go through a lot of it. I'm a 1 Strip Down the Middle guy. Not too worried about dog ears as I tend to keep my inventory fairly tight. Also it's gotta be perpendicular, straight up and down. I think I can get a snugger fit that way, horizontal is a little harder to get it tight and I think the tape has a better chance of splitting if it's on there sideways.

However, I do put 2 strips on the corners when I use Mylar bags. Those bags are stiffer than the usual, every day plastic and have a tendency to crack on the corners if there's just one strip down the middle.

Couple years ago I got a box of self sealing bags because that was all my supplier had and I needed bags so I was stuck with them. They worked fine but I am still finding those daggone plastic strips that you have to pull off freaking everywhere. Those things have some insane static cling to them that makes it hard to shake them off your fingers or throw them in the garbage. Too much hassle. Shame on You

We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it - William Faulkner

Thundercron
Wednesday, November 27, 2019 4:06:44 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I prefer one piece in the middle.

Splitting the tape when opening a bag is THE WORST.

My late brother had a taping method not mentioned here. He would put one piece on the left side of the flap (looking at the back). His thinking was that doing this would cause the least amount of stress on the spine when re-opening. Makes sense, I guess.
bluedevil2002
Wednesday, November 27, 2019 4:29:24 PM
Groups: Member
Screw the bags, I just have the comics bound into hardcover books. Although large magazine sized bags are great for shipping the large piles of comics. Too bad DCBS started shrink wrapping their monthly shipments.

Before I did that, I used two pieces of tape on either end. But I would also shove as many books into a bag as I could fit. Why bother with 14 bags for Maximum Carnage when I could fit it in 2 or 3?
SwiftMann
Wednesday, November 27, 2019 4:55:29 PM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller
What is diagonal? Cause I might do that.

I've moved to one stop of tape in the middle. But I kick it to 30-45 degrees. I find they re-open way better that way.

I hate self closing bags. They drive me nuts.

And I put 2 comics in each bag and board (front and back). Which is why I use Silver Age stuff
lcfrick
Wednesday, November 27, 2019 8:11:58 PM
Groups: Member
Thundercron wrote:

Truly the biggest monsters in the world of comic collecting are dealers who use two pieces of tape horizontally near the edges. I have a Swiss army knife next to where I read my comics specifically so I can use it to take any tape off that splits.

Whenever I see comics like that, I can't help but think that these are people who have never had to take the tape off of a sealer comic bag, because if they did, they wouldn't put the tape horizontally.

Numerous times I've considered starting a thread to rant about exactly that, but I never felt justified enough in doing so. But since it's just a post now, rather than a new thread, I can finally get it off my chest.

As for what I do, I buy self-sealing bags for my new comics, though it's really created a sense of hyper awareness when I read those comics, because I've ruined several and had to carefully peel others back to avoid damage when I left the flap open when reading and then would set the comic down right on the sticky strip. Now I always try to remember to close the flap after taking the comic out. (Special weird note that one dealer on here ships self-sealing bags with the sticky on the flap, which is so incredibly awkward to get comics out of, because I have to flip the flap into a circle and then stick it to the front of the bag.)

I generally leave second hand comics I buy in the bags I received them in, but I'm perfectly content to just tuck them in, though I take extra care to have as little of the flap fold inward when I do so.

My older comics that I keep in mylar bags I'm perfectly content to use one piece of vertical tape in the middle, those bags are sturdy enough that the flaps don't fold over unless you're making a concerted effort to do so.

When I ship comics out that I've sold on that one auction site, I use two pieces of vertical tape about 1-2 inches from the edge.
Xylob
Thursday, November 28, 2019 9:53:18 AM
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
NO TAPE!!! I tuck the flap in behind the comic, then slide the board in between the flap and the back of the bag which keeps the flap tucked in quite nicely.
Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...
Thundercron
Thursday, November 28, 2019 1:12:08 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I've always wondered why I've never seen a comic shop selling spools of Scotch tape displayed with their comic supplies. Jack the price up to $3.00 per spool. It's an impulse buy. Don't know how many times I've gone to bag comics and have had my tape go missing at home. They'd make a killing!
padreglcc
Friday, November 29, 2019 9:24:17 AM
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
One strip, in the middle, vertically.
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.

Need help? Feel free to contact one of the Moderators or Approvers.
Flagwaver
Friday, November 29, 2019 9:59:08 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
I don't use tape. I use reusable Avery stickers, one in the center.

MoonKnight1
Saturday, November 30, 2019 4:03:13 PM
Shop at My Store
Wow!

I guess you never know until you ask!

I hadn't even though of the stickers but I have gotten a collection or two where they were used and they seemed OK. That's definitely a viable option.

Thundercron wrote:
I've always wondered why I've never seen a comic shop selling spools of Scotch tape displayed with their comic supplies. Jack the price up to $3.00 per spool. It's an impulse buy. Don't know how many times I've gone to bag comics and have had my tape go missing at home. They'd make a killing!

Great idea! Heck, slap a Batman or Spider-Man logo on it and charge even more! On the Phone

lcfrick wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

Truly the biggest monsters in the world of comic collecting are dealers who use two pieces of tape horizontally near the edges. I have a Swiss army knife next to where I read my comics specifically so I can use it to take any tape off that splits.

Whenever I see comics like that, I can't help but think that these are people who have never had to take the tape off of a sealer comic bag, because if they did, they wouldn't put the tape horizontally.

I do not like that at all. If your intention is to put in in the bag and never open it again then maybe. Confused

lcfrick wrote:
As for what I do, I buy self-sealing bags for my new comics, though it's really created a sense of hyper awareness when I read those comics, because I've ruined several and had to carefully peel others back to avoid damage when I left the flap open when reading and then would set the comic down right on the sticky strip. Now I always try to remember to close the flap after taking the comic out.

Had that happen as well. Hyper aware is a good way to describe it. I set one of those down on another comic and peeling it off did enough damage to the book to knock it down several grades. Plus I really can't stand those darn plastic strips. Hate to keep bringing them up but they are very annoying.

lcfrick wrote:
(Special weird note that one dealer on here ships self-sealing bags with the sticky on the flap, which is so incredibly awkward to get comics out of, because I have to flip the flap into a circle and then stick it to the front of the bag.)

The sticky is on the flap? Never seen those before. Does sound awkward.