Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Comic Books » Who do you think is the most underrated writer/artist of your favorite character of all time?

Who do you think is the most underrated writer/artist of your favorite character of all time?

lcfrick
Sunday, March 01, 2020 2:49:41 PM
Groups: Member
Been wanting to make this thread for a while because... I've got an agenda (surprise, surprise).

As far as I'm concerned, Chuck Dixon doesn't get enough credit for everything he did for Batman.

At one point during the 90's he was the writer on: Detective Comics, Nightwing, Robin, Birds of Prey, and Catwoman.

Somehow he managed to do that and actually write exceptionally well (especially for the 90's) on all of those titles. He was responsible for creating Bane, the Birds of Prey, and Spoiler.

He took two characters who had always been supporting or team characters (Tim Drake/Robin and Dick Grayson/Nightwing) and got them both on-going series which he wrote for 100 and 70 consecutive issues respectively.

And most importantly of all he took the occasionally referenced crush between Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon and made it a full on romance (Birds of Prey #8 is still one of my favorite comics of all time). Since they broke up after Infinite Crisis they've only ever had a "will they/won't they" mentality going on. (And what really infuriated me was they teased it again after they used the honeymoon suite that Batman/Catwoman didn't use because they didn't get married... and then promptly had Dick get shot in the head and lose his memory.) /endrant

So who you got as your most underrated writer/artist for your favorite character?
MoonKnight1
Monday, March 02, 2020 4:45:38 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
This is a tough one for me. Couple of reasons.

First one is that I have a hard time narrowing down my favorite character! Confused

When I first started reading super hero comics it was Spider-Man. Then for a while it was Hawkeye. Obviously from my Avatar and Username I am quite fond of Moon Knight. And that's just Marvel!

Second is that most of the creators involved with these characters were actually highly rated.

I'm going to go with an underrated creator for a lot of my favorite characters - Steve Englehart.

He was the writer for Amazing Adventures when Hank McCoy turned into the blue (or gray) furry Beast, he brought Patsy Walker (former Romance heroine) into the Marvel Universe, had a long run on the Defenders and introduced Valkyrie to the MU, Avengers/Defenders War; Celestial Madonna; Serpent Crown.

He left Marvel for DC and did this:

He helped bring Batman back to the pulp oriented, gritty character that he started out as.
wikipedia wrote:
The Englehart and Rogers pairing was described in 2009 by comics writer and historian Robert Greenberger as "one of the greatest" creative teams to work on the Batman character.

When he returned to Marvel his stint on West Coast Avengers was pivotal in transforming Hawkeye from a brash insubordinate into a confident and capable leader.

But he is rarely mentioned when you talk about comic book greats. Should be.

Howie's Saying of the Week

Is it worse to be scared than to be bored, that is the question - Gertrude Stein

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
lcfrick
Tuesday, March 03, 2020 12:30:20 AM
Groups: Member
MoonKnight1 wrote:
I'm going to go with an underrated creator for a lot of my favorite characters - Steve Englehart.

The Joker story in Detective 475 and 476 is one of the greatest of all time, no doubt about it. A story so good that they adapted it into an episode of Batman: the Animated series.

In that 8 issue run, Englehart also:

Introduced Silver St. Cloud, who is my personal favorite civilian (meaning not Catwoman/Talia Al Ghul) love interest for Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Introduced Rupert Thorne, who would go on to be Batman's main mob antagonist in the Animated series (I always thought that was an interesting choice over Carmine Falcone... until I read the pre-Crisis Thorne.

Reintroduced Dr. Hugo Strange, who hadn't appeared since Detective Comics #46 back in 1940.

Reintroduced Deadshot, who hadn't appeared since Batman #59 back in 1950. Both characters would go on to become major characters for decades to come.

He wrote less than two dozen issues worth of Batman titles, but that 8 issue one definitely has to rank as one of the top 20 Batman runs of all time.
Thundercron
Tuesday, March 03, 2020 3:30:22 AM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Steve Englehart was great. He also did a good run on Fantastic Four in the late eighties.

As a Daredevil fan, I pick Dan G. Chichester as an underrated scribe. He wrote issues #292-332 or so, and then did another four or five issue story arc under a pen name due to a beef he was having with Marvel. His writing style was a breath of fresh air after enduring almost five years of Ann Nocenti's heavy-handed, meandering, social commentary-driven plots. Chichester brought things back to action-oriented, fast-moving stories while still giving time for the supporting characters to breathe. I always felt his narrative style was a worthy successor to Miller's run. Although his run was much shorter than Nocenti's, he managed to give Matt his law license back, brought back Karen Page into the series (I hate you, Kevin Smith), and had Daredevil take down the Kingpin (in a story arc that spun out of details of Born Again). His Fall From Grace storyline (#319-325) was pretty daring, but he managed to keep the story going without it ever falling apart. After "killing off" Matt Murdock, though, it seemed to me that Chichester wasn't given much of a chance to expand on Daredevil's new secret identity and supporting cast members. It could have been good, but what we got wasn't very interesting. And with some plotlines left dangling after his departure, I can't help but wonder if that was the friction that caused his exit from the book.