Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Life Outside of Comics » Has CCL given up the ghost?
Warpath72
Sunday, January 17, 2021 9:23:34 PM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
The discussion forums are a wasteland, the mobile apps are apparently DOA, and there seems to be a serious lack of tech support. I'm actually impressed that someone is still adding new releases to the database very efficiently. But what is our subscription fee getting us other than a great software that could blink out of existence without warning? I miss this place, it's not the same without active forums.
Go on the warpath at TWR Comics!!!!!!

TWR stands for Team Warpath Racing...
Check out some of my Youtube videos of building the big-block for the project Camaro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjw61TK2YgE
Thundercron
Sunday, January 17, 2021 11:26:46 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Warpath72 wrote:
The discussion forums are a wasteland, the mobile apps are apparently DOA, and there seems to be a serious lack of tech support. I'm actually impressed that someone is still adding new releases to the database very efficiently. But what is our subscription fee getting us other than a great software that could blink out of existence without warning? I miss this place, it's not the same without active forums.

Your subscription fee gives you access to the most accurate comics database that will possibly, maybe, perhaps, eventually soon, someday, get an awesome update. Ever seen the movie Money Pit? Hilarious movie. Anyway, a running gag throughout the film is the response Tom Hanks gets every time he asks the construction crew when his house will be finished. "Two weeks" is always the response, even though it takes months and months. That's how I feel about the alleged update that's been touted for years. It's a running joke at this point. Except it's not funny anymore.

I'm not concerned about CCL blinking out of existence, since it is a revenue stream for Midten Media. What I try not to think about, though, is how the continued life of the database depends solely on the work of increasingly frustrated volunteers.
MoonKnight1
Monday, January 18, 2021 1:31:26 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Warpath72 wrote:
the mobile apps are apparently DOA,

Can't tell you anything about that. I don't use them.

Warpath72 wrote:
and there seems to be a serious lack of tech support.

This is actually not entirely factual. I have had to contact them for tech support a few times over the years and have never had a problem getting either Joe, Steve or Chase to help. It's easy and they make sure that the problem is solved.

Warpath72 wrote:
I'm actually impressed that someone is still adding new releases to the database very efficiently.

Our Approvers are the backbone of CCL! They deserve a ton of credit for their voluntary, unpaid labor. Without their contributions this site would not be the same.

Warpath72 wrote:
But what is our subscription fee getting us other than a great software that could blink out of existence without warning?

Like Corey said, our DB is the best on the web. Hands down, no one else is even close. Plus the great software. Guess that's about it. The software could use some tweaks but it is still quite solid.

Warpath72 wrote:
The discussion forums are a wasteland, I miss this place, it's not the same without active forums.

I hear this same refrain over and over from numerous different people.

My response to you and everyone else that says the Forums used to be great and no one ever posts anymore is this:

What's stopping you from posting?

Warpath, I see that your last Forum post was in 2012. Are you telling me that there hasn't been a single thread in 9 years that you were interested enough in to reply to? Nothing that you wanted to start a thread for?

Not singling you out at all, I've seen dozens of posts lamenting that the Forums are dead but I see very few of those same people posting a new thread or replying to an ongoing one. It is a self fulfilling prophecy.

It's like if you have a fireplace. You build a big fire and it's burning and crackling and emitting a lot of warmth! Then it starts to die down, flames smaller, heat getting lower. Do you say, "Oh wow that used to be such a great fire but it's not so much anymore. Maybe someone should do something about it." Or do you just put another log on the fire? or some kindling?

Sure, the Forums are not what they used to be. They might not ever be what they used to be. That doesn't mean that they can't be something new.

Here is a short list of Forum threads that have been started recently, see if you can find one that is worthy of responding to:

Favorite Writer/Artist Duos

The best comic covers...EVER

Floating Heads Comic Covers

Interesting Stan Lee article from AARP Magazine

Baby Groot VS Baby Yoda - Capture The Flag Contest

This statement is meant for EVERYBODY who thinks the Forums are dead and need to be rejuvenated: Instead of complaining and lamenting that Things Will Never Be The Same Again! Do something to change it.

It's easy! Start a new thread or respond to someone else's. You can make the Forums great again! Dancing

How many of you have Facebook pages where you tell everyone about every single detail of your life? Can't you spare a few minutes here to post a thread about your favorite new comic book? Or the fantastic TV show or movie that you just watched? Can Superman beat the Hulk? (For the record - No Devil )

I am going to help. Put my money where my mouth is. I will either post a new thread every day, reply to someone else's thread or resurrect an old one. Every day for as long as I can! Waiting

Challenge to all who think that the Forums used to be better, should be better and will be better: Let's do it! Dancing Big Hug

Howie's Saying of the Week

Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe - Frederick Douglass

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
SwiftMann
Monday, January 18, 2021 9:27:22 PM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I'm actually hoping against an update at this point because it sounds like it would do away with the software and move to just another online catalog. One that could actually disappear at any point (see comicbookdb.com). At least the software is ours.

I did start using another site just in case and update that and a Google Doc wishlist. Cause nothing handles a huge wishlist well when you are digging through longboxes as a simple list.

That other site has attempted a couple versions of a social media style feed. Neither iteration there has worked well. People want to be heard more than discuss.
Thundercron
Tuesday, January 19, 2021 3:05:51 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Dan hit it on the head. People want to be heard, not to discuss. One of the frustrations I have here is that people who start threads have no follow through. I think when you start a discussion it becomes your job to moderate the conversation. Not that you have to respond to each and every comment, but feel free to pop back in with some thoughts. Obviously this doesn't apply to ongoing threads like "Floating Heads Covers" or "What Are You Listening To?". However, I often see someone post a specific question, or are relating an ongoing issue and wish to ask others opinions. Other people will comment, but the original poster never responds. So is that person still listening? Are we all talking to the air? This type of stuff turns me off to wanting to participate in the forums. It's like being in a conversation with a group of friends and getting no response when you say something.
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, January 19, 2021 3:17:37 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
That is also a very good point. I'll admit it. I'm guilty of that myself sometimes.

No excuses but sometimes I do see that someone has posted a reply to a thread I have started and I don't get to it immediately because of whatever reason. Then it just gets forgotten about. Gotta do better.

Howie's Saying of the Week

Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe - Frederick Douglass

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
Kevinbruns
Tuesday, January 19, 2021 10:06:45 PM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
SwiftMann wrote:
I'm actually hoping against an update at this point because it sounds like it would do away with the software and move to just another online catalog. .

The day this turns into an online database is the day where my refusal to renew my sub is assured. I have CLZ for that stuff. However when I am at home, doing work at my desk I actually prefer the cleaner/simpler layout of the CCL app. However the fact that the software is being paid for, and there is a cost to using the site.. the reliance on volunteers to keep the DB going really isn't cool either. Especially with flagship titles. Ex. Batman Vol 3, #100 The DB lists 11 books. There were 35 total variants of this title.

Not my place to tell people what to do, but I think the subscription service/fees needs to be uncoupled from the software itself, especially if you're not a seller and its being mostly maintained by volunteers.

Just my .02