Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » TV » Who should be the next host of Jeopardy?

Who should be the next host of Jeopardy?

MoonKnight1
Wednesday, March 31, 2021 5:06:14 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Answer: This uber geek, comic book nerd and master of esoteric facts hasn't missed an airing of Jeopardy since as long as he can remember.

Question: Who is Howie Hall?

Yeah, to say that I was saddened by the passing of Alex Trebek would be an understatement. It's been a nightly ritual for years, my daughter and I would watch it religiously and Colleen and I still catch it. If I'm unable to see it live I DVR and view later.

RIP Mr. Trebek and thanks for all of the great memories. Broken Heart

However, life must go on and someone is going to have to fill the enormous shoes left behind by Alex.

So far we have seen Ken Jennings, Mike Richards, Katie Couric and now Dr. Mehmet Oz.

Coming up we will see Aaron Rodgers, Mayim Bialik, Anderson Cooper, Savannah Guthrie, Dr. Sanjay Gupta and Bill Whitaker.

That's it as far as I know. Please correct me if I missed someone. Who knows, they might even add someone or someone's in before the search is over. Assuming the search is over that is.

Any guesses as to who will get the nod? Is there someone on the list you would like to be the next host? How about someone not mentioned that you think would be a good fit?

Let us know! Call Me
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, March 31, 2021 5:25:57 PM
Shop at My Store
My breakdown so far:

Ken Jennings - I think that he really, really wants the job. He fits two criteria of the position as in he is smart for one and he can be a bit smarmy at times as Alex was known to do. My criticism of him is that he is not as personable or self effacing as Alex was. I think that he is probably the front runner for the position.

Mike Richards - He was adequate. My opinion is that he was thrust into the spot because no one else was available. He did a very good job of filling in but he is not the guy for the long term. Probably doesn't want the job anyway.

Katie Couric - She was fantastic! Hit all three of the criteria - smart, chippy and friendly. I thoroughly enjoyed her stint. She would make a great host but I think that she has other things going on so is probably not a candidate.

Dr. Oz - He is smart. Can be condescending. Not very chummy. I know there is a lot of opposition to him because of whatever and I can't say that isn't a part of it but I don't think he will be back after this week.

As for the ones coming up I will wait until I see their performances. Obviously some of them are just Celebrity Hosts (see - Nielsen ratings grabs) like Aaron Rodgers and Mayim Bialik - not that there's anything wrong with either of them! Big Grin I'm actually looking forward to ol' Discount Double Check's run!

I also think Anderson Cooper will be interesting. Not sure if he's interested in the job but I think he's got the chops to do it.

Talking about people who have not been announced yet and may not even be on their radar the number one obvious choice would be Neil deGrasse Tyson. That dude has everything you need to host a show of such importance. He is probably the smartest living human on the planet right now, he is funny as all get out, can do the gentle scolding and is by all appearances a friendly and jovial individual. He would get my vote in a heartbeat. Big Hug
Thundercron
Wednesday, March 31, 2021 5:28:03 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Unfortunately, everything is viewed through a political lens now--even who hosts Jeopardy. No matter who it is, the person will be deemed too left or too right. Given that circumstance, I say the new host should be the artificial intelligence Sophia. Not only is it a nice neutral (and non-human) choice, but the sheer amount of learning Sophia will gain as Jeopardy host will hopefully accelerate the eventuality when she leads the rest of her fellow AI to rule over us all.
bluedevil2002
Wednesday, March 31, 2021 7:57:02 PM
Groups: Member
Betty White needs to do a guest hosting spot to fulfill Alex Trebek's "wish"/prediction.

And let's get some Reading Rainbow nostalgia going with LeVar Burton.
Thundercron
Thursday, April 01, 2021 9:55:58 AM
Shop at My Store
If not Sophia, then Pat Sajak. So we can have One Host To Rule Them All.
MoonKnight1
Thursday, April 01, 2021 10:58:51 AM
Shop at My Store
I was thinking maybe Watson, the Supercomputer! It's got more charisma than Jennings and Oz at least. Tongue
MoonKnight1
Thursday, April 01, 2021 12:43:22 PM
Shop at My Store
Thundercron wrote:

Yeah, good one. Loser Rolling Eyes
bluedevil2002
Thursday, April 01, 2021 6:13:23 PM
Thundercron wrote:

Wouldn't that be Ryan Seacrest?
Thundercron
Friday, April 02, 2021 5:26:01 PM
Shop at My Store
bluedevil2002 wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

Wouldn't that be Ryan Seacrest?

Nah, I consider Seacrest to be part of the new breed of game show hosts--namely, celebrities that are tapped to host a show because of their name recognition. Old guard like Trebek, Sajak, Chuck Woolery--those are the true game show hosts IMO.
MoonKnight1
Friday, April 02, 2021 5:37:02 PM
Shop at My Store
What about Wink Martindale? Nerd
lcfrick
Friday, April 02, 2021 10:49:55 PM
MoonKnight1 wrote:
What about Wink Martindale? Nerd

He's busy being the defensive coordinator of the Ravens, tyvm.
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, April 06, 2021 5:20:40 PM
Shop at My Store
Aaron Rodgers just got "Sean Connery'd" !!! Laughing By a Bears fan no less.

Jeopardy Jerk Trolls Rodgers