Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Sports » NFL Competition 2021
8 pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last
jbeeman85
Wednesday, September 01, 2021 2:19:14 PM
Groups: Member
Who's in for doing a NFL competition this year ?

Unless someone wants to do something different, I propose same rules as the last few years. Straight pick-ems with no spreads, a category for overall record, primetime games, and Lock Picks.
MoonKnight1
Monday, September 06, 2021 8:45:47 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Absolutely! I was just getting ready to post the first week of games. I don't mind posting the games and tallying scores this year. Thanks a lot for all of the help you guys did last season.

Is there any way one of you can post this week's games today? I was planning on doing it yesterday but we decided to have an impromptu Labor Day cookout so they day was spent preparing for that. Running out of time today so hopefully one of you can take care of it. If not then I can get it up tomorrow.

Thanks!

Howie's Quote of the Week

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. - Noam Chomsky

My eBay Store Hall Liquidations
jbeeman85
Tuesday, September 07, 2021 7:52:12 AM
Thursday
Dallas @ Tampa Bay

Sunday
Philadelphia @ Atlanta
Pittsburgh @ Buffalo
Minnesota @ Cincinnati
San Francisco @ Detroit
Arizona @ Tennessee
Seattle @ Indianapolis
LA Chargers @ Washington
NY Jets @ Carolina
Jacksonville @ Houston
Cleveland @ Kansas City
Miami @ New England
Green Bay vs New Orleans (in Jacksonville)
Denver @ NY Giants
Chicago @ LA Rams

Monday
Baltimore @ Las Vegas
jbeeman85
Tuesday, September 07, 2021 7:54:23 AM
Green Bay vs New Orleans got moved to Jacksonville due to the hurricane

What happened to the opening week Monday night doubleheader ?

Got 4 West Coast teams playing the early games, granted they are all on the road but still....
jbeeman85
Tuesday, September 07, 2021 9:35:54 AM
Thursday
Tampa Bay

Sunday
Atlanta
Buffalo
Minnesota
San Francisco - LOCK
Tennessee
Seattle
Washington
Carolina
Jacksonville
Kansas City
New England
Green Bay
Denver
LA Rams

Monday
Baltimore - 36 points
monidaw1
Tuesday, September 07, 2021 8:05:54 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Thursday
Tampa Bay

Sunday
Philadelphia
Buffalo
Minnesota
Detroit
Arizona
Seattle
LA Chargers
Carolina
JacksonvillE
Kansas City
New England
New Orleans
Denver
LA Rams

Monday
Baltimore
jbeeman85
Tuesday, September 07, 2021 9:35:24 PM
Wow monidaw, not taking Washington ? Your posts make it seem like they are set to be the greatest team of all time. Have some faith and pick them every week and pick against Dallas (it is a surefire winning strategy Big Grin ).
bluedevil2002
Tuesday, September 07, 2021 10:49:00 PM
jbeeman85 wrote:
What happened to the opening week Monday night doubleheader ?

It got moved to Saturday in week 18. Although this actually increases ESPN's inventory by 2 games, as the week 1 doubleheader made up for not having MNF in week 17.

A whole bunch of things got swapped around in the TV contracts with the extra week of games. Like now we get doubleheaders on both networks in week 1. (Previously, this only happened on the final week.)
jbeeman85
Wednesday, September 08, 2021 8:42:32 AM
bluedevil2002 wrote:
It got moved to Saturday in week 18. Although this actually increases ESPN's inventory by 2 games, as the week 1 doubleheader made up for not having MNF in week 17.

A whole bunch of things got swapped around in the TV contracts with the extra week of games. Like now we get doubleheaders on both networks in week 1. (Previously, this only happened on the final week.)

I never really thought about the opening week doubleheader making up for no MNF on the last weekend. Makes sense I guess. I would never make it through the second game anyway (other than when the Titans got stuck with it recently), I'm not staying up until after midnight to watch a random game when I got to get up early the next day.

Being in the Titans market, a lot of times we don't get the doubleheader unless it's on the same network as the Titans. The powers that be don't want a competing game on against the local team. It doesn't really affect me as I would be watching the Titans game anyway, no matter the situation or "quality" of game but I hear a lot of people complaining that they don't get an option (more so when the Titans are stinking up the field than when they are actually decent).

I find it interesting sometimes what games certain markets get. I check the maps when they're posted, usually sometime on Wednesdays (https://506sports.com/nfl/). Sometimes it seems random the distribution of games, other times it is games that affects the local teams standings, other times it is a local kid plays for a certain NFL team. And looking at the broadcast maps over the years, it seems that not every market is restricted like Nashville is on the not showing a competing game in the same broadcast window.
crunchbird
Wednesday, September 08, 2021 7:40:01 PM
Tampa Bay - Lock
Atlanta
Buffalo
Minnesota
San Francisco
Tennessee
Indianapolis
LA Chargers
Carolina
Houston
Kansas City
New England
Green Bay
Denver
LA Rams
Baltimore
MoonKnight1
Thursday, September 09, 2021 3:45:11 PM
Shop at My Store
Tampa Bay (HUGE fan of the Bucs! )
Atlanta
Buffalo
Minnesota
San Francisco
Tennessee
Seattle
Washington (Go Red Wolves!)
Carolina LOCK (jumpin' on the Jets bandwagon early)
Jacksonville
Kansas City
New England
Green Bay
Denver
LA Rams
Baltimore (37 pts)

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. - Noam Chomsky

MoonKnight1
Thursday, September 09, 2021 3:49:27 PM
Shop at My Store
jbeeman85 wrote:
Wow monidaw, not taking Washington ? Your posts make it seem like they are set to be the greatest team of all time. Have some faith and pick them every week and pick against Dallas (it is a surefire winning strategy Big Grin ).

Hey! That's my move! Don't be giving away my secrets. Shame on You

And oh yeah, What?! BJ, are you trying to use reverse psychology on the Football Team? Time Out We're going to crush the hapless Chargers so badly that they will wish they were back in San Diego. Angry Ooh

jbeeman85 wrote:

Being in the Titans market, a lot of times we don't get the doubleheader unless it's on the same network as the Titans. The powers that be don't want a competing game on against the local team. It doesn't really affect me as I would be watching the Titans game anyway, no matter the situation or "quality" of game but I hear a lot of people complaining that they don't get an option (more so when the Titans are stinking up the field than when they are actually decent).

Same thing here. You hear a lot of non Washington fans griping about how they could be watching Green Bay versus Kansas City instead of Washington/Cincinnati.

On the flip side, a few years ago the Redskins were so bad that they substituted a "better" game instead of us. Can't remember the exact circumstances but the game they put on was two teams fighting for a playoff spot and ours was two teams going nowhere. Reasonable choice I guess but there was a near riot in Richmond. People were about to storm the station with torches and pitchforks.

Worst thing is that the the game they showed was over by halftime - one team had completely annihilated the other, whereas the Redskins and whoever they played put up a fantastic display. It was back and forth, lead changes, fantastic plays and we ended up winning. Didn't see a second of it it but my friends and I were huddled around the radio like old times.

lcfrick
Thursday, September 09, 2021 5:14:17 PM
Was waffling on whether or not to participate, but it's 5 minutes out of the week, so why not.

Dallas @ Tampa Bay

Sunday
Philadelphia @ Atlanta
Pittsburgh @ Buffalo
Minnesota @ Cincinnati I'm literally going to pick against the Vikings and Colts every game this year because of their vocally anti-vaxx QBs.
San Francisco @ Detroit
Arizona @ Tennessee
Seattle @ Indianapolis
LA Chargers @ Washington
NY Jets @ Carolina
Jacksonville @ Houston
Cleveland @ Kansas City
Miami @ New England
Green Bay vs New Orleans (in Jacksonville)
Denver @ NY Giants
Chicago @ LA Rams

Monday
Baltimore @ Las Vegas I'll feel better about the Ravens after week 1, but losing all three top RBs in less than 2 weeks is too much to recover from week 1.
monidaw1
Friday, September 10, 2021 8:38:30 AM
Quote:

Some thoughts,

Donald Parham jr, the 6' 8" tight end I didn't want the Skins to let get away, went on to tear it up in the XFL, now plays for the Chargers and is catching touchdowns 30% of the time he touches the ball. Wall

The temp and humidity dropped the other day like a rock so it appears the humidty/temp factor will now be a non factor for a West Coast team heading East in Sept.

The Skins are 50-50 in season openers and won last year so they're due for the flip.

They didn't play the starters during Preseason so I don't believe they're prepared in terms of endurance or cohesion. The team has a lot of new parts on all 3 sides of the ball that haven't and may not gel immediately including on O, a new O line, QB and several receivers, on D the secondary is a mix of new parts that should end up being good but may not gel immediately, especially rookie linebackers trying to stop Parham, the Chargers rookie LT apparently handled Chase pretty well in college so it seems like a recipe for a quick strike pass happy offense to light things up with quick strikes before the pass rush gets home while the secondary is a half step slow learning how to play with each other, Special teams have a new long snapper that appears to be causing a disruption in the kicking game while they gel and apparently kicking balls thru the end zone for touchbacks and putting the opposing team on the 25 every time is NOT a good thing when the league averages are figured out. It's better to kick it inside the 5 and let the coverage stop them shy of the 25 most of the time.

Fitzmagic or Fitztragic? I would love to be wrong and will be rooting loudly that it turns out that way, it feels like a week of Fitztragic is upon us while they lose a close one in the 4th late as opposed to milking an early runaway/blowout to the finish line.

Same thinking has us rebounding next week to beat the Giants which we apparently never seem to do.

I watched the 2nd quarter and blurbs of the rest of the game last night. It really feels like Dallas only has one play, throw it to the guy on the left side, over, and over, and over and over again. How many times was that and at least twice the ball should have been intercepted? Not impressed at all by what I saw. At least no matter what happens we end up tied with the Cowboys to start the season at worst!!!! Rolling on the Floor

lcfrick
Friday, September 10, 2021 9:14:18 AM
Lock pick: LA Chargers

MNF Tiebreaker: 45 points
monidaw1
Friday, September 10, 2021 9:31:56 AM
PS: Don't copy my other picks. I don't know squat about any other team other than Tampa which appears to be a 7-9 team that got hot late with no crowd noise tipping the games in Brady's favor being able to hear and adjust to the D's calls and last night didn't convince me otherwise. They do appear to have a better kicker than the goofy guy kicking all over the place for Dallas. Who misses short field goals and extra points but puts 57 yarders right down the middle? Phbbbbt
bluedevil2002
Sunday, September 12, 2021 7:07:57 PM
MoonKnight1 wrote:

On the flip side, a few years ago the Redskins were so bad that they substituted a "better" game instead of us. Can't remember the exact circumstances but the game they put on was two teams fighting for a playoff spot and ours was two teams going nowhere. Reasonable choice I guess but there was a near riot in Richmond. People were about to storm the station with torches and pitchforks.

I think it was the final week of the season...I wanna say 2011, because it was Shanahan but before RG3. I think they replaced it with a Cowboys game. Although I just checked and the skins lost their season finales from 2009-2011.

I was okay with them replacing it.
jbeeman85
Sunday, September 12, 2021 8:04:16 PM
Well..........
Pathetic offensive line play by the Titans.

Rough opening week in the picks department for me.
monidaw1
Sunday, September 12, 2021 8:08:24 PM
Quote:
I think it was the final week of the season...I wanna say 2011, because it was Shanahan but before RG3. I think they replaced it with a Cowboys game. Although I just checked and the skins lost their season finales from 2009-2011.

2009 against the Chargers and I was NOT okay with it. It also looks like they didn't show the 1st Preseason game this year locally. They had that baseball in the cornfield game on instead. Highlite may end up being the only nice pass Fitz threw as Washington QB. Nice off the right shoulder bullet that only the rookie could get his hands on if Heineke can win the job over the next few weeks and the locals without cable or streaming missed it.
monidaw1
Monday, September 13, 2021 7:39:38 AM
Breaking down the film,
Chargers have a 3rd and 16 inside their 10 yard line.

Rookie LT takes Chase one on one wide to the left about into the end zone out of the play.

The other 4 offensive linemen bunch up Sweat, Ioannidis and Allen into a mess to the right.

DB's are in a soft zone with the middle wide open, probably due to miscommunication.

QB steps up and gets an easy completion for a 1st down.

If they'd dialed up a blitzer or two the QB gets killed, maybe in the endzone for a touchback by either the blitzer or one of the other 3 lineman that would have been left with an easier path to get home. I hate soft zone coverage. Didn't that used to be called "prevent the win defense"?

This D looks like it's going to be amazing once they get some time playing together and someone calling a more aggressive attack style than what they dialed up yesterday. I almost feel sorry for the Giants Thursday night. At least one of those D Lineman is going to have a huge bounceback night if not all of them. Drooling