Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Comic Books » Cover variants
nwcomicsandcards
Tuesday, November 22, 2022 1:59:44 PM
Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
What do you think of all of the Variants?

I'm kind of tired of having so many variants, it seems, for EVERY comic issue number, instead of just a special one.

The value of the comics seems to be which artist has the best cover, instead of the story or new characters.
Thundercron
Tuesday, November 22, 2022 6:32:21 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I hate them. My eyes start to glaze over when I flip through comic boxes of books from 2010 or so on up
Kingsman
Wednesday, November 23, 2022 3:30:18 PM
Shop at My Store
I would agree in general. With that said, I do enjoy the Frison variants for Wonder Woman.
Kevinbruns
Sunday, December 04, 2022 6:25:13 PM
Groups: Member
Friend of mine works at DC (on the production side, not a public-facing figure) and we were talking about all of the variants not that long ago, and his comment pretty much nailed it on this subject. "Without variants, periodicals would be dead" It is literally what is padding the #s and keeping monthly comics (in current format) alive. Especially with people like Zaslav wanting a return on his $.

Personal opinion- because with the exception of #1 and #50 variants, I have **every** issue of Batman Vol 3 and frankly im sick of buying 10-30 different copies of a single issue. (Yeah Im that whale/sucker) but.. gotta have a hobby :p Im more annoyed by extremely high ratio- requirements of books as well. 1:100 and higher is just a waste of paper and money to me, as manufactured scarcity/rarity is a joke and I think a major distraction on the publisher's part as both major houses seem to continue to focus more and more on that aspect of everything than just producing quality books and stories every month.

just my .02

Side note-

If any of you store owners happen to have a ***SECOND PRINT*** of Batman, New 52/Vol 2 of 23.1 (the lenticular joker cover) but dont have it in your online stores, Im in search of it.. only place I see it online is @ Mile High and heaven be damned if I ever pay Chuck's rip-off pricing for it.. but.. more reasonable pricing i may be interested.. PM me :p

Thundercron
Sunday, December 04, 2022 7:13:00 PM
Shop at My Store
Kevinbruns wrote:
Friend of mine works at DC (on the production side, not a public-facing figure) and we were talking about all of the variants not that long ago, and his comment pretty much nailed it on this subject. "Without variants, periodicals would be dead" It is literally what is padding the #s and keeping monthly comics (in current format) alive. Especially with people like Zaslav wanting a return on his $.

Personal opinion- because with the exception of #1 and #50 variants, I have **every** issue of Batman Vol 3 and frankly im sick of buying 10-30 different copies of a single issue. (Yeah Im that whale/sucker) but.. gotta have a hobby :p Im more annoyed by extremely high ratio- requirements of books as well. 1:100 and higher is just a waste of paper and money to me, as manufactured scarcity/rarity is a joke and I think a major distraction on the publisher's part as both major houses seem to continue to focus more and more on that aspect of everything than just producing quality books and stories every month.

just my .02

Side note-

If any of you store owners happen to have a ***SECOND PRINT*** of Batman, New 52/Vol 2 of 23.1 (the lenticular joker cover) but dont have it in your online stores, Im in search of it.. only place I see it online is @ Mile High and heaven be damned if I ever pay Chuck's rip-off pricing for it.. but.. more reasonable pricing i may be interested.. PM me :p

Yeah, but is it REALLY padding the sales numbers anymore? I frequent a shop in Portland (a comic-heavy town) and he says he has ONE customer that still has the "buy every cover" mentality. The whole "collect them all" mentality is largely gone now thanks to the variants. A lot of 50 and 100 ratio incentive books don't automatically command big money anymore like they used to, so many shops no longer chase them. It's just not cost effective. When was the last time Marvel or DC did a major first issue launch without having a plethora of covers to choose from? I'd really be interested in see if the numbers would be that different in terms of copies purchased.
Kevinbruns
Monday, December 05, 2022 10:23:19 AM
I don't have the numbers (I did inquire about that kind of stuff when we chat) and the response was "thats sales stuff" (not his role) But to your question.. apparently someone is still buying them. DC in particular though does seem to be a bit more reserved with them as we rarely (until recently anyway) have seen any ratios over 1:50, with an occasional 1:100. Marvel on the other hand just... doesn't stop and seems to have no problem flooding the market.

Of course for me though, monetary value isn't the point, and I from my understanding, at least on the store-exclusive variants.. Those 3k or so copies of your own book count towards that titles' incentive requirements and I believe DC sends you their own ratios, so you can still flip those house-books to help cover your costs.

Still.. I'll take a house-produced ratio over an inflated store-exclusive any day. And with the current trend of some by gate-keeping variants behind slab-only offerings (cough- Big Time Collectibles -cough)

and another store (cough- Stadium Comics -cough) printing out 10 different foil stickers to slap on the same SKU book just so they can sell 10 copies @ a time to clear out inventory fast) .... its definitely soured my mouth.

But yeah, even my local shop when it comes to house ratios of Bat, He can cover me up to 1:50s with the volume of books he sells but anything over that he's sitting on inventory.. fortunately, when I want anything higher he charges me his cost + shipping for the additional books. which is fair and still cheaper than buying them off flippers.

I wish the whole thing would go away though, stick with an A/B cover set at most.. but im not the one calling the shots.

And rebooting #1s.... that is triggering for me :p
Shadowdodger
Monday, December 05, 2022 9:34:04 PM
I was a sucker for the variants of the early IDW Transformers books. I probably still would be if I could afford it.

Nowadays when more than 1 cover is offered on any particular book I'm interested in, I always get cover A. To me that's the main cover. Sometimes I'll get a variant.
Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
lcfrick
Monday, December 05, 2022 10:11:27 PM
Shadowdodger wrote:
I was a sucker for the variants of the early IDW Transformers books. I probably still would be if I could afford it.

Nowadays when more than 1 cover is offered on any particular book I'm interested in, I always get cover A. To me that's the main cover. Sometimes I'll get a variant.

I know the feeling all to well with the Transformers variants. Some of the earlier retailer incentive covers are just bonkers. Even though I've accepted I'm going to have to shell out big bucks for the few that I'm still missing, it's still a matter of actually finding them. And then there are some of the retailer exclusive covers which are even more bonkers. (I'm looking at you, Transformers/Ghostbusters #1 Scorpion comics Clayton Crain cover.)
Spider-Man
Tuesday, December 06, 2022 2:47:28 PM
Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber
Kevinbruns wrote:

And rebooting #1s.... that is triggering for me :p

That is what caused me to stop buying new comics altogether. I had been collecting Amazing Spider-Man since 1974. I got all the gimmick covers, suffered through the clone stuff, got all the variants when that trend started and even stuck it out with a couple of reboots. But when they did it again in 2018, I had enough and stopped..cold turkey. Have not bought a new comic of any kind since.

I have been selling some of my variants since then to finance future purchases of the last few remaining single digit issues I need to complete Amazing Spider-Man 1 - 800. ( never going to get a #1 though...way too pricey)

Too many variants are killing the hobby in my opinion. Instead of tracking down back issues to complete a run of a title, collectors are trying to complete all the variants of a single issue.
Shadowdodger
Wednesday, December 07, 2022 10:03:21 PM
Aaaaand Gargoyles #1 from Dynamite dropped today with a gazillion variants...I managed to snag covers A-E, H, I, and L.

I realize I'm part of the problem
Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
Kevinbruns
Thursday, December 08, 2022 11:10:29 AM
Spider-Man wrote:

Too many variants are killing the hobby in my opinion. Instead of tracking down back issues to complete a run of a title, collectors are trying to complete all the variants of a single issue.

Tell me about it, Ive got MOST of Batman vol 1, between 100-and 713 (except for maybe 15 or 20 books max) but all these variants keep pushing back me finishing it up. (plus I work for a railroad and haven't had a pay raise in 3 years until.... well if you watch the news at all... its a fun time on the rails....)

The 1:25 an 1:50s aren't an issue for me, but 1:100s+ and store exclusives are a drain on the wallet..

Jan issue of Batman has a 1:100
Feb has a couple exclusives planned already.. it just never ends :p labor of love though I guess ,(or OCD) bc if i was doing this for some future monetary gain... then i'd be the fool. Besides, i haven't sold a book since 1989.. so I doubt i'll start now lol.
Spider-Man
Thursday, December 08, 2022 3:54:14 PM
Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber
I was that way also. Amazing Spider-Man (2014) had 50 variants for #1. FIFTY!! But I spent too much time and money getting them all because I had to have them. I had to have a complete collection. The chase to find them was part of the fun and I do miss that a little, but I am now working on the ones I am missing in decent condition.

I was lucky enough to have a comic store manager that gave me the right of second refusal for the ASM variants. If their store got in the variants, another ASM collector had first crack at the variant if there was only one. If he did not want it, I could buy it. That is how I got the ASM #667 Dell'Otto 1:100 variant. The other guy thought it was an ugly cover and did not want to spend the $50 the store was asking. So I was able to get it. Most of the other variants I needed, I had go to eBay.