Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Radio Station Contests Options
The_Ghost
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:18:04 AM

Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Media Host, Member, Moderator

Have any of you ever taken part in local radio station contests? I'm not talking about "be the 10th caller and you'll win concert tickets" kinda contests but ones that actually make you work for the prize. Contests that are interesting and fun.

When I lived in Wyoming, one of our local radio stations (Y100) had a contest to promote Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The contest was called Search for the Grail or something like that. The station had hidden the "grail" somewhere in my town of 17,000 people and at a certain time everyday, the station would announce a clue as to the location of the grail.
A ton of people played the game and looked all over town and even on the outskirts of town hoping the clues would lead them to the right place. My friends and I were playing and checked out the dunes, fields, downtown, around the drive-in, and many other areas just like everyone else and then we heard a rumor that the grail had been found. Turned out it wasn't so the search was back on.
Eventually, the grail was found in an area we had searched in 4 times. It was in the grass under an F.O.E. sign. The grail was actually place in a shoe under that sign. Someone had found it a few days before and took it into the radio station. The guy thought the shoe was the grail and the station said "thats not it" so the contest went on. The shoe was placed back where it was found and someone else came along a few days later, picked up the shoe, LOOKED INSIDE, and pulled out a small bronze cup and THAT was the grail. They took the shoe and grail to the station and won the contest which was a week vacation to Honolulu, Hawaii with all exspenses paid.
We kept thinking of the poor doofus who first found the shoe and didn't look inside. He's probably still kicking himself.

So, do any local stations do cool contests like this one did?

Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation
ukblueky
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 6:00:52 AM

Groups: Member

That sounded pretty cool.Never heard of any station in or around my area doing any contests like that.

The_Ghost
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 12:18:24 PM

Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Media Host, Member, Moderator

Yeah, it was a creative contest and a lot of fun. I think the majority of the town listened to Y-100 so they all got involved. The prize was worth hunting through the fields, downtown, and wherever the clues led us. Not only did you get an all exspenses paid week on the islands but also a good amount of cash.

Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation
Mick77
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 2:56:12 PM

My wife won a call in contest that was just a generic "be the 93rd or something caller". She won it on a Wednesday which paid out $10,000! After taxes, we used it on our wedding. One of her co-workers won the same contest the next week for another 10k and then AGAIN for $1,000 on another day. She gave them her mother's name and SSN because the rules stated you could only win once LOL!! Something about those phone lines at her old job, they could get in anywhere without a busy tone for some reason.

My Uncle George Pierce 02/22/2012

Spread the word on Parkinson's Disease, help to find a cure!
!
Dreadnok01
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 4:35:03 PM

A station here does the "Jingle Bell Rock" every Christmas. They decorate and hide a rock somewhere in town and give clues to its location. People around here go nuts for it every year.
heavyearly2000
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:00:56 AM

Unfortunately, more stations are using national (syndicated) programming. That means less local contests are being held. The one Dr.Fate shared sounded like fun with many people in the community participating. With station consolidation those types of contests are few and far between compared to the era when radio was relevant.

MY WANT LIST

[center]I realize your comic got a 9.8 grade from them; it still gets a 0.0 for content from me.[/center]
CosmicAvenger
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 11:13:52 AM

Groups: Beta, Characters Host, DC Host, Member, Moderator

A pretty big radio station here in Toronto did that for the Green Lantern movie. I dont remember the exact prize but it involved a special screening and a bunch of swag.

In order to win the prize, there were four specially placed GL posters around the city and you had to take a picture beside all four.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
StephenJondrew
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 11:13:02 AM

Groups: Forum Admin, Member

The radio station I listen to do quite a few contests. In one of my past jobs I used to listen to them all day which in turn meant I was on a winning streak for awhile winning everything from movie tickets to concerts to even an iPad.

Most of what I won was "call in when you hear the cue to call" but they do a lot of other cool contests. I once heard another radio station that is just within reception of me make people dance all day to Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up -- I think it was only for concert tickets too. :D

GONNAGEEK.COM PODCAST
firecop322
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 12:55:55 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Our local rock station does an easter egg hunt every year, the Friday before Easter. They hide 105 eggs through out the county and have clues as to where they are located. The prizes are pretty sweet, gift cards to local businesses, movie theater passes, OU Bobcats swag. They have a golden egg every year that is sponsored a local jewlery store. That prize usually consists of some nice piece of jewlery.