Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Barcode vs. Spidey Logo Options
copperhead
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2008 11:20:52 PM
Groups: Member

Some of my older comics have a barcode where all the cover scans that I find have a Spidey logo in its place. What's the difference? I don't think it warrants a change request with a new scan, I was just wondering why.
vacantpassenger
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2008 11:23:58 PM

The issues with barcodes are newsstand editions and the spidey heads are direct editions. Not really any difference (99.9% of the time)

copperhead
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2008 11:26:58 PM

thanks, it is true , you learn something new every day.
tpw84101
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 12:53:07 AM

I always knew that basic difference, but what I never understood is why they even bother coming out with two different editions. One for the comic shop and one for the magazine rack at the grocery store? Wouldn't it save a whole lot of time and money for the publishers to just have one version?
vacantpassenger
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 1:05:37 AM

I believe it had something to do with returns on unsold items. I recall something along the lines of Direct Editions could not be returned for credit if unsold, and newsstand issues could, because of two reasons: direct editions would be bought at a higher discount and also directly form the publisher. So they were marked to be able to tell the difference.

MsMacDugle
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 12:17:40 PM

Occassionally, on the Newsstand Editions the prices ARE different, & sometimes the Newsstand Editions have been used as testing grounds for say creating the next Flipbook formatted comic, and those will need to be added as variants. I should know we have a little of both making up our collection. And on the rare occassions when our price is different you'll find me adding the variant. I fought to have the Newsstand Edition/Price Variants accepted. But, when the price doesn't change, I accept the cover image already in the data base unless I feel our cover is in better condition.

I'll be in & out from time to time, but don't mind me. I'm just under doctors orders to maintain my health issues.

"God so Loved us that he gave us his only son as the perfect gift to cover all our sins & to restore us into his presence one day"
yourplace2
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:53:45 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

This is an old thread. I found it with a search looking for the topic of bar codes vs spidey or graphic.

I noticed on some of the issues with the spidey logo, the price box has a CC and number, but no UK price. They also have a price for Canada.

Those with Spidey logos have the UK price, but no CC and number.

I'm in favor of adding a variant to the DB, so that collectors may find the differences and add them to their collections easier than the lotto way (buy and hope for a bar code variant or spidey variant).

Truth is, the ones printed for the Newsstands are probably rarer, as they were returned and destroyed by the distributors. Many times, the comics had the price tags or bar codes torn off, and then the comic was trashed by the retailer, and credits were applied from the torn price tags or bar codes. Sometimes you can find these torn ones in bargain bins.

If we do not separate them, we can't get the accurate sales or values, because no one will ever know if one is more sought than the other.

Join the store on FACEBOOK!

* All items must be returned prior to refund at your expense. Return shipping not refunded.

scotteaves
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:56:33 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

The whole Newsstand vs. Direct issue has been discussed ad nauseum at CCL. It hasn't happened for quite a number of reasons and continually beating the topic to death won't help.

It was even a full member vote a little while back and here are the results - http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=480265