Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Rate these horror movies Options
ShenValleyInitiative
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:54:54 AM

Groups: Member

I recently have been looking at different websites online of the top 100 horror movies of all time, I've seen most of the movies on each list. But there were some I had not seen. So I found them on the cheap at amazon and pulled the trigger.

Please rate them, also keep in mind.....every one of these were on the top 50-100 lists I had looked at from AFI to Rotten Tomato's to IMDB.

- Dog Soldiers
- John Carpenter's The Fog
- Suspiria
- Zombi 2 aka Zombie
- City of the Living Dead
- [REC]
- The Serpent and The Rainbow
- Phantasm
- Let The Right One In
- A Tale of Two Sisters
- I Saw The Devil
- Black Christmas (1974)
- The Legend of Hell House

I realize most are pretty old and are probably dated/cheesy....but I can watch movies while taking the age of the film in consideration.

Please take the time to rate and give any thoughts on any of the films you have seen. Thanks.

ShenValleyInitiative
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:03:21 AM

Mods I completely forgot about the horror thread, move this thread there if horror is more appropriate than movies. I guess it fits in either.

comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 8:46:58 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

I have only seen three of these:
Phantasm and let the Right One In and the fog.

Phantasm is surprisingly good for an 80's horror movie. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember it be refreshingly smart and unique for a horror flick when i did see it.

Let the Right One In is very good. Period. Forget horror movie. It is just a very good movie. well written, tense, moody, beautifully shot. And an ending that should have been obvious in hindsight, but wasn't when viewing.

Again, it's been a while since I've seen the Fog, but I remember it sucking pretty hard. The type of movie that is only scary to 12 year olds at a sleepover.

So, of the three I've seen.

1) Let the right One In
2) Phantasm
3) John Caroenter's the Fog

ShenValleyInitiative
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 5:29:16 PM

Thanks for the response comicsuniversity.

Just picked these up off of amazon, some pretty obscure stuff with a few mainstream. Seen any of these? Thoughts?

- Fido
- Dead Snow
- Return of the Living Dead
- The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue
- The House By The Cemetary
- Dead And Buried
- Jaws

inhumanking
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2012 1:21:15 PM

ShenValleyInitiative wrote:
Please rate them

i guess it goes without saying, i'm not rating what i haven't seen (i know, i said it anyway)

- John Carpenter's The Fog: despite it's share of 80's cheese, i've always loved this one. are there better out there? of course. and while it may not scare me these days like it did when i saw it as a child, it holds it's own and is still a LOT of fun to watch.

- The Serpent and The Rainbow: liked this one too. not a lot of out-and-out scares or frights, but still good, and still fun to watch.

- Phantasm: haven't watched this in a long time, but it made enough of an impression as not the 'same old thing' that i'd watch it again.

- Let The Right One In: fantastic, pure and simple. you can't go wrong with this. i saw it in my local art house theater and bought the dvd. **NOTE: before viewing, make sure you're watching the dvd with "Theatrical version subtitles". i rewatched my purchased dvd to discover the subtitles were not the same, and it detracted from the film significantly (for me, anyway).

- I Saw The Devil: very, very good. not a 'horror' film as much as a mixed genre, if you like any other Korean flicks (they are some of the best... Old Boy, Thirst) this should satisfy you. better than most english language films made today.

- Return of the Living Dead: classic. ages so well. a must for any zombie fan, one of the best mixes of comedy/satire & horror.

- Jaws: classic, pretty fantastic, if i remember. need to re-watch.

if you haven't seen these, give them a try: Old Boy, Thirst, Martyrs, Prince of Darkness... pretty random, i know, but these are the ones that popped in my head while replying.
The_Ghost
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2012 1:27:59 PM

Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Media Host, Member, Moderator

Just picked these up off of amazon, some pretty obscure stuff with a few mainstream. Seen any of these? Thoughts?

- Dead Snow

I rented DEAD SNOW a few months ago. I thought it was a German made film but my friend says its Swedish.
Anyways, it started out ok but got stupid, imo. The stragest scene was a guy having sex while he's taking a dump on a toilet in an outhouse. lol

Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation
Dementia5
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2012 6:39:46 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Subscriber

I recently have been looking at different websites online of the top 100 horror movies of all time, I've seen most of the movies on each list. But there were some I had not seen. So I found them on the cheap at amazon and pulled the trigger.

Please rate them, also keep in mind.....every one of these were on the top 50-100 lists I had looked at from AFI to Rotten Tomato's to IMDB.

- Dog Soldiers
- Suspiria
- Zombi 2 aka Zombie
- [REC]
- Phantasm
- Let The Right One In
- A Tale of Two Sisters
- I Saw The Devil
- Black Christmas (1974)

I realize most are pretty old and are probably dated/cheesy....but I can watch movies while taking the age of the film in consideration.

Please take the time to rate and give any thoughts on any of the films you have seen. Thanks.

Ah! Finally, a horror film thread with class!

Let The Right One In, if it's the Swedish film (not USA) is one of my all time favorite horror films. Almost perfect blend of eerie characters, who are well developed, and with that foreign independent vibe I love so much. I'm jealous you have this.

The Legend of Hell House was a great, sinister film for me growing up... not sure how it would hold up for me today, but I always enjoy watching Roddy McDowell.

A Tale of Two Sisters is a real creepshow, and has some sizzling scary moments. I watched this only a few years ago, and thought it was smart. There's a buildup to a scene that left me mighty uncomfortable in my recliner with the lights out (recommended approach).

The Serpent and The Rainbow is yet another thinking man's horror flick. Good acting all around (one of Bill Pullman's earlier works). Takes itself a little too seriously, but very enjoyable.

Phantasm is an 80s classic that I know you will enjoy. Has some cheese, but it was a fairly novel film at the time for what it was.

John Carpenter's The Fog
is yet another older classic, and one of John Carpenter's best. Prob his first great film in my book. Lots of atmosphere and claustrophobic devices throughout (I mean, it is the Fog).

Suspiria and the best for last, Susperia is prob going to take the prize for favorite foreign "artistic" horror film. Some genuine jump out of your chair moments which might seem cliche to you, but only because director Argento did them all first. Has a dynamite soundtrack by the prog band Goblin to boot; a highly coveted vinyl if you ever come across it and want to do a fair deal. If you like this, you will also like the more modern Tarrantino film Hostel.

Well now you've done it. I have to go check these on Amazon myself. Any of them on Blu-Ray?

Throw these in with The Hills Have Eyes, The Last House on the Left and a couple Jean Rollins films and you would pretty much match my shopping basket the last time I went on a horror film spree at my LCS. Enjoy!

"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son

We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

SpidermanGeek
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:05:56 AM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

Mind you, I was young when I saw it..but the original Black Christmas is BORRRING!!! That whole line about the caller being inside the house is the scariest thing in the entire flick. You can watch the trailer and get as many chills from it as sitting through the movie.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.
ShenValleyInitiative
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:50:36 AM

inhumanking wrote:
Please rate them

i guess it goes without saying, i'm not rating what i haven't seen (i know, i said it anyway)

- John Carpenter's The Fog: despite it's share of 80's cheese, i've always loved this one. are there better out there? of course. and while it may not scare me these days like it did when i saw it as a child, it holds it's own and is still a LOT of fun to watch.

- The Serpent and The Rainbow: liked this one too. not a lot of out-and-out scares or frights, but still good, and still fun to watch.

- Phantasm: haven't watched this in a long time, but it made enough of an impression as not the 'same old thing' that i'd watch it again.

- Let The Right One In: fantastic, pure and simple. you can't go wrong with this. i saw it in my local art house theater and bought the dvd. **NOTE: before viewing, make sure you're watching the dvd with "Theatrical version subtitles". i rewatched my purchased dvd to discover the subtitles were not the same, and it detracted from the film significantly (for me, anyway).

- I Saw The Devil: very, very good. not a 'horror' film as much as a mixed genre, if you like any other Korean flicks (they are some of the best... Old Boy, Thirst) this should satisfy you. better than most english language films made today.

- Return of the Living Dead: classic. ages so well. a must for any zombie fan, one of the best mixes of comedy/satire & horror.

if you haven't seen these, give them a try: Old Boy, Thirst, Martyrs, Prince of Darkness... pretty random, i know, but these are the ones that popped in my head while replying.

Thank you for the in depth post. Only one I have watched so far is The Fog. Not Carpenter's best, but it ws good for what it was. I'm off work today and plan to watch movies all day, I'll give my take on the others afterward.

ShenValleyInitiative
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:51:33 AM

The_Ghost wrote:

- Dead Snow

I rented DEAD SNOW a few months ago. I thought it was a German made film but my friend says its Swedish.
Anyways, it started out ok but got stupid, imo. The stragest scene was a guy having sex while he's taking a dump on a toilet in an outhouse. lol

Kind of reminds me of a scene from High Tension. Similar but different.

ShenValleyInitiative
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:53:42 AM

Dementia5 wrote:

- Dog Soldiers
- Suspiria
- Zombi 2 aka Zombie
- [REC]
- Phantasm
- Let The Right One In
- A Tale of Two Sisters
- I Saw The Devil
- Black Christmas (1974)

Ah! Finally, a horror film thread with class!

Let The Right One In, if it's the Swedish film (not USA) is one of my all time favorite horror films. Almost perfect blend of eerie characters, who are well developed, and with that foreign independent vibe I love so much. I'm jealous you have this.

The Legend of Hell House was a great, sinister film for me growing up... not sure how it would hold up for me today, but I always enjoy watching Roddy McDowell.

A Tale of Two Sisters is a real creepshow, and has some sizzling scary moments. I watched this only a few years ago, and thought it was smart. There's a buildup to a scene that left me mighty uncomfortable in my recliner with the lights out (recommended approach).

The Serpent and The Rainbow is yet another thinking man's horror flick. Good acting all around (one of Bill Pullman's earlier works). Takes itself a little too seriously, but very enjoyable.

Phantasm is an 80s classic that I know you will enjoy. Has some cheese, but it was a fairly novel film at the time for what it was.

John Carpenter's The Fog
is yet another older classic, and one of John Carpenter's best. Prob his first great film in my book. Lots of atmosphere and claustrophobic devices throughout (I mean, it is the Fog).

Suspiria and the best for last, Susperia is prob going to take the prize for favorite foreign "artistic" horror film. Some genuine jump out of your chair moments which might seem cliche to you, but only because director Argento did them all first. Has a dynamite soundtrack by the prog band Goblin to boot; a highly coveted vinyl if you ever come across it and want to do a fair deal. If you like this, you will also like the more modern Tarrantino film Hostel.

Well now you've done it. I have to go check these on Amazon myself. Any of them on Blu-Ray?

Throw these in with The Hills Have Eyes, The Last House on the Left and a couple Jean Rollins films and you would pretty much match my shopping basket the last time I went on a horror film spree at my LCS. Enjoy!

Awesome D5! Thanks for the reviews, I know you know your stuff. I'll be sure to watch these first. As far as blu ray goes, most were on blu ray IIRC. But I snagged them on dvd, if they're quality like I think they will be. I'll upgrade to blu. Gotta love amazon.

ShenValleyInitiative
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:56:51 AM

SpidermanGeek wrote:
Mind you, I was young when I saw it..but the original Black Christmas is BORRRING!!! That whole line about the caller being inside the house is the scariest thing in the entire flick. You can watch the trailer and get as many chills from it as sitting through the movie.

Same. Black Christmas has been the weakest of the movies I bought on my shopping spree. And you're exactly right about just watching the trailer. haha the movie adds nothing. But I give it credit for being one of the original slashers of the "modern" era, it birthed all the Halloweens, Friday the 13ths, and A Nightmare on Elm Streets.

I've been looking at another early slasher called Sleepaway Camp, which has a twist that was pretty ahead of its time. I know its campy (no pun intended) as hell though.

ShenValleyInitiative
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 9:01:57 AM

I've gotta say, some of my favorite stuff has been from an italian director named Lucio Fulci "the Godfather of Gore."

- Zombi 2 aka Zombie
- The Beyond
- The House By The Cemetary

I'm looking into his other works now.

Dementia5
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 9:26:30 AM

SpidermanGeek wrote:

Looks like I owe you another bit of thanks, SG. I've been trying to find the name of this movie since I first heard about it. Now I know which film it is!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Dementia5
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 9:31:06 AM

inhumanking wrote:
Please rate them

Vouching for Jaws, which is an incredible re-watch. My first film in the theatre, ever! Scary as all get out at that age, but watch it for the performances.

ROTLD is a campy classic, if you like the Roxette look, you'll like the female opposite who is not shy and has nothing to hide. Leave it at that.

I commented on these two as a follow-up because I didn't see these titles in the orig post. Maybe because you've already seen them; if not, Jaws should be top of the list for "accessibility".

Prince of Darkness is also a wonderful Carpenter film.

If you want a real smorgasborg of some of the absolute best horror told today, by the undisputed stalwarts of horror direction, you MUST pick up Masters of Horror, from Showtime. I might argue their individual best works are all contained in this collection, definitely for Carpenter.

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

ShenValleyInitiative
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 8:23:33 AM

Watched Dead & Buried, very strange film. Not bad. Just odd. Stars a young James Farentino as a small town sheriff in a town called Potter's Bluff.

Plan to get into Susperia, Let The Right One In and Phantasm today. I love my days off.

Big Grin

comicuniversity
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 11:04:17 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

Dementia5 wrote:
inhumanking wrote:
Please rate them

Vouching for Jaws, which is an incredible re-watch. My first film in the theatre, ever! Scary as all get out at that age, but watch it for the performances.

ROTLD is a campy classic, if you like the Roxette look, you'll like the female opposite who is not shy and has nothing to hide. Leave it at that.

I commented on these two as a follow-up because I didn't see these titles in the orig post. Maybe because you've already seen them; if not, Jaws should be top of the list for "accessibility".

Prince of Darkness is also a wonderful Carpenter film.

If you want a real smorgasborg of some of the absolute best horror told today, by the undisputed stalwarts of horror direction, you MUST pick up Masters of Horror, from Showtime. I might argue their individual best works are all contained in this collection, definitely for Carpenter.

Prince of Darkness is amazing!! The final scene. I mean.....well, you have to watch.
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:26:47 PM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

Dementia5 wrote:
SpidermanGeek wrote:

Looks like I owe you another bit of thanks, SG. I've been trying to find the name of this movie since I first heard about it. Now I know which film it is!

When a Stranger Calls (1979) had essentially the same plot. This also could have been the film you were searching for.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.
yourplace2
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:11:23 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

If you liked The Fog, be sure to see The Mist. I think THE MIST was everything The Fog should have been and more.

Also be sure to look for those movies that came out under the theme of HORRORFEST: Movies to Die For! These movies are really great flicks! AfterDark Films came out with 8 movies every year for a few years in a row.

Check them out right here: http://www.horrorfestonline.com/

Hypnotized Hypnotized Hypnotized Hypnotized Hypnotized Hypnotized Hypnotized Hypnotized Hypnotized Hypnotized Hypnotized Nailbiting Nailbiting Nailbiting Nailbiting Nailbiting Nailbiting Nailbiting Nailbiting Nailbiting

Join the store on FACEBOOK!

* All items must be returned prior to refund at your expense. Return shipping not refunded.

wickedcomics
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:52:35 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

- Dog Soldiers
- Suspiria
- Zombi 2 aka Zombie
- [REC]
- Phantasm
- Let The Right One In
- A Tale of Two Sisters
- I Saw The Devil
- Black Christmas (1974)

IF you haven't seen them, REC and REC 2 should be watched by all horror fans. They are two awesome movies that I can't believe I missed (up until last week). Both are filmed in Spain and come with subtitles, but don't let that sway you in any way. They are both great horror movies to watch.

- Dog Soldiers (7/10 I really enjoyed this werewolf movie. For the budget they had, they did really good with this one. A sequel has been in the talks for years, hopefully they launch one)
- John Carpenter's The Fog (7/10 great classic, I enjoyed this much more than the remake)
- Suspiria (8/10 Considered one of the scariest movies of all time. The cinematography is just second to none. The entire movie has an eerie creepy feeling. The score isn't the best and often makes this movie seem cheesier than it is, but if you can get passed that it's one of Dario Argento's masterpieces)
- Zombi 2 aka Zombie (6.5/10 Great gore movie, Lucio Fulci outdoes himself in this one. A must watch for any "zombie" fan)
- City of the Living Dead (5.5/10 Great for the gore, not so great for the story and movie as a whole. This movie is really really dated and it's a good italian horror movie for it's time but it's also very cheezy. The gore still looks great even today. If you're into gore than this is one you shouldn't miss)
- [REC] (8/10 this movie was AWESOME. I heard a lot about it from many different people, so I figured i'd give it a shot. Wow this foreign film is a hidden gem. Anyone that hasn't seen it should go out and rent it, it's superb on every level.)
- The Serpent and The Rainbow (6/10 Gotta love good old fashion voodoo. This is a great movie that I remember from my childhood and should be checked out by all horror fans.)
- Phantasm (7/10 this is just such a creepy movie. I remember watching the undertaker with his little chasing orb things when I was little and he creeped me out. Another one of those horror movies you have to see to enjoy)
- Let The Right One In (8/10, this was a great vampire movie with a different take. It isn't the traditional vampire movie everyone has seen, def check this gem out)
- A Tale of Two Sisters (Haven't seen this, but I own it and it's on my "to watch list")
- I Saw The Devil (Never heard of it)
- Black Christmas (1974)(7/10 Classic horror movie much better than the remake. Some wacko calls a sorority house with a prank phone call and one by one they begin to disappear.)
- The Legend of Hell House (never heard of it.)