Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
LongBox Storage Options
dagma333
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:05:17 AM
Groups: Member

I have a question about LongBox storage.

Currently I have my collection in the plastic longboxes.
I have heard that horizontal stacking may be better, longterm, than vertical.....but, its easier to pick through my collection and ogle and ahh over the covers, and reminisce.

In other words, I like digging back in there once in awhile to view them....I also dig in there to add new comics..."hmmm Thor 174...hmmm here is is 173, so I'll slip it front of 174..." etc... So they do get jostled a bit now and then. I try to keep it gentle and minimalized though.

I have noticed that it is difficult to keep all the comics aligned....so there is always a few comics here n there a little skewed, and I worry about --whats it called? spine roll?

Should I use more divider boards to break the box into more segments?

Should I use mylars AND backing boards? (currently just bag n board for most).

What is the difference between an extender board and backing board?

I have heard that I should use Silver-Age boards/bags, even on bronze and modern, because the board extends beyond the comic--yiel;ding more protection when leafing through a vertically stacked longbox.

I realize there are a lot of questions/topics in there. I just wanted to ask the experts---what they feel is the best way for longbox storage which achieves a happy medium between accessibility and protecgtion for the comic. ??
RunRabbitRun
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:36:23 PM

Love the idea of using larger boards.
teh_longinator
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:16:35 PM

Now that I think about it, it might be better just to get a bunch of Golden Age boards so there's a bunch of space between the edges.

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
scotteaves
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:01:48 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

I alternate the way the issues face to keep all the spines from being on one side. They go back to back and face to face. Don't know if it helps on spine roll, but they do square up better in the box.

SwiftMann
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:06:13 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I'm not sure what you mean by horizontal versus vertical stacking of longboxes.

I only use silver age size boards for my collection. I love the extra room. Plus, for the last couple years I've been putting two comics to a bag and board. It allows for more comics per box and keeps it in nice shape.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
teh_longinator
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 11:02:08 PM

SwiftMann wrote:

I only use silver age size boards for my collection. I love the extra room. Plus, for the last couple years I've been putting two comics to a bag and board. It allows for more comics per box and keeps it in nice shape.

I think he means instead of placing the book vertically (with the bottom edge being the one of the cover), you place it horizontally, with the bottom edge being the right/left edge of the cover)

Cave Comics

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
DRUMCZAR
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 2:07:07 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

teh_longinator wrote:
Now that I think about it, it might be better just to get a bunch of Golden Age boards so there's a bunch of space between the edges.

Use the Silver Age bags & Boards. The Golden Age (B&B) don't fit in Long Boxes widthwise.

PEACE!+

EVERYTHING IS 30% OFF!!!

FREE SHIPPING (US Only) STARTS AT $20(Media) / $30 (Priority)
(US Orders only)

ALL INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENTS GET FREE INSURANCE & TRACKING!!!

SHOP AT MY STORE - - ADC'S COLLECTION!

I AM HIGHLY COMMITTED TO MAKING IT ONE OF THE BEST BUYING EXPERIENCES YOU'VE EVER HAD!!!

BALTIMORE RAVENS SUPERBOWL XLVII CHAMPIONS!!!

GO RAVENS !!!
scotteaves
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 7:53:03 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

teh_longinator wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

I think he means instead of placing the book vertically (with the bottom edge being the one of the cover), you place it horizontally, with the bottom edge being the right/left edge of the cover)

I'll bet it's vertical (standing up) vs. horizontal (laying down in a stack).

yourplace2
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 10:36:58 AM

Shop at My Store

I use long boxes and drawer boxes. I stack all the comics inside so they can be viewed like indexed in order. I use current bags when appropriate, Silvers when appropriate. For larger comics, I do not even put in the longs or drawers, but use MAGAZINE boxes that sit on your shelf, and place them on edge in them for indexing as needed.

As for spacers in the drawer or long box. Yes, that does help, but I also put a small box that is about the size of a beanie baby in the back of the box leaving about 3 inches from being used. This allows me to always have room to thumb through the comics without crushing them.

Also, when putting a comic into the bag with a board, I put the comics top in first, so that the flab is on the bottom when the comic is in the long box. Those flaps also cause extra thickness, and after a few times lifting it out of the box, the flaps get folded and damaged. Putting the flap in first delays that. It also allows you to use only 1 piece of tape instead of two. Tape also makes things thicker.

Cool

Join the store on FACEBOOK!

* All items must be returned prior to refund at your expense. Return shipping not refunded.

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 11:24:07 PM

what is the best solution to preventing spin rolls? maybe throwing cardboard in on the sides to to keep them even? fast and cheap you know.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

yourplace2
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 10:13:32 AM

Shop at My Store

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
what is the best solution to preventing spin rolls? maybe throwing cardboard in on the sides to to keep them even? fast and cheap you know.

Did you mean SPINE rolls?

* All items must be returned prior to refund at your expense. Return shipping not refunded.

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 1:39:33 AM

yourplace2 wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:

Did you mean SPINE rolls?
Rolling Eyes yes... spine. my bad.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

dagma333
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 4:33:14 AM

scotteaves wrote:
teh_longinator wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

Yeah, thats what I meant, horizontally, flat stacked, vs standing on edge within a longbox.
teh_longinator
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:20:57 AM

dagma333 wrote:
scotteaves wrote:
teh_longinator wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

Yeah, thats what I meant, horizontally, flat stacked, vs standing on edge within a longbox.

Well consider me interested. I really want to find out if its viable to keep a collection stacked in a pile. It would really save me quite a bit of floor space i think if i could stack my longboxes upward.

Cave Comics

Xylob
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:44:43 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

it seems like it would be a real pain in the @$$ to go through them if they're laying flat, especially in a box.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
yourplace2
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:40:46 AM

Shop at My Store

If you look at the picture, I have them stacked both ways, but mostly standing up, so you can flip through them like index cards would be.

The ones stored flat are mulitple copies of the same comic. Bear in mind, the staple creates a higher side, so eventually, you can't keepo the pile flat anymore, Comics will start rolling off one side. To offest that you have to flip them over every other or every few. But this will eventually create a roll in the comic the same way that happens in the comic shops when they stack them new on the racks.

Werewolf67
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 11:30:40 AM

persoanly, i keep them in the usual longbox, with some dividers for ease of finding them. But one question, do you think that putting two comics two one bad will keep them good and crete space??
dagma333
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:11:28 AM

I don't remember what it was called, "The such n such collection".
That the Mile High Comics guy found.

Essentially some dude had his comics stacked flat (horizontally), and the compression actually kept the comics in shape without much spine roll.
Its a kind of famous find, among comics collectors.

Found it, this is a quote from an article at: www.panelology.info/StoringComics.html

The best practical example, however, is the comic book collection of Edgar Church, which later became known as the "Mile High collection". The most famous and valuable comic book collection ever known to surface, it was discovered and bought in 1977 by Chuck Rozanski of Mile High Comics and consisted of around 20,000 comics, most of which were found to be in high quality grades and included the highest quality copies of many Golden Age comic books ever discovered, including the best known copy of Action Comics #1. The point to be made here concerns the way this collection was stored when Rozanski first set eyes on it:
"I [Rozanski] was ushered into the basement. From the top of the stairs I could see stacks of comics covering the floor. Each stack was approximately 75-100 comics deep, and the further I walked down the stairs, the more stacks I could see (...) It rapidly became clear to me that there was not only a great number of comics, but also that they were in wonderful condition." (Rozanski 2002)

The question therefore of how to best store comic books is not concerned with vertical or horizontal stacking but rather with the amount of care with which this is done. In any case, horizontal stacking avoids the major problem associated with vertical stacking, where the advocated advantage (less stress on individual comics) only comes into play when a container is full. As most long/short box type of storage lacks a device to keep the contents of a semi-filled container from gradually slipping or falling out of their vertical position, this can actually become a detriment resulting in bends. With flat storage in a drawer, this is no problem as long as sideway movement is controlled.