Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Fight Like A Jedi Options
padreglcc
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 11:24:57 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Just got a very cool Christmas present. It's a comic book titled "Fight Like A Jedi" and is an independent release produced by Lucasfilm to help raise money for an 8 year old named Matthew who was diagnosed earlier this year with a malignant brain tumor.

When the people at the 501st Legion and Cherry Capital Con (a Traverse City, MI comic con) heard about this boy's situation, they reached out to artists to ask them to produce original pieces of Star Wars art since Matthew is a huge fan of Star Wars. At first, they were just going to give him the art, but somehow Lucasfilm got involved and turned the project into a sketchbook (limited to 1000 copies) to help raise money to cover the hospital costs.

Most of the artists are local Michigan guys, but there are three contributing artists of note: Tony Moore (Walking Dead), David Petersen (Mouse Guard), and David Johnson - my brother! It turns out that my brother was one of the crew that starting this whole thing going.

They sold the books for $10 a pop and, in conjunction with a Star Wars memorabilia auction, have raised over $15,000 for Matthew. Pretty solid, in my opinion. This is definitely one of the ways art ought to be used to bless people. Not only did this kid get some awesome original art, but his family got some HUGE help with medical bills. As I understand it, there are still about 100 copies available as of today. If you want one, send me a PM and I can get you in touch with the guy spearheaded this project.

Since I'm at family Christmas and don't have access to a scanner, here are a few pics I took to share with you guys. Hope you enjoy.

Cover:

Plo Koon by Tony Moore

Darth Vader by David Petersen

Imperial Guard and Rancor by my brother, David Johnson

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
scotteaves
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 11:31:01 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

That's awesome!

1) Add that bad boy to the database!
2) How do I get my hands on one? Big Grin

padreglcc
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 11:34:00 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

scotteaves wrote:
That's awesome!

1) Add that bad boy to the database!
2) How do I get my hands on one? Big Grin

Scott, just edited the original post to answer question #2. I'll send you the guy's email address and you can order one.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

padreglcc
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 9:11:11 AM

This book is now in the database here.

CosmicAvenger
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 7:42:42 PM

Groups: Beta, Characters Host, DC Host, Member, Moderator

Thats some great stuff. Its nice to know communities can band together in ways like this to help out. Kudos to your brother for being involved.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
padreglcc
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:53:38 AM

If anyone is interested in picking one of these up, they now have a website you can buy from at fightlikeajedi.bigcartel.com

MoonKnight1
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:44:42 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I'm in. Love Star Wars and I love helping kids even more. Kudos.
Howie

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations