Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Wolverine and Cyclops Options
BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 8:27:55 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

So I've been recently going back and re-reading the original Age of Apocalypse storyline. It's taking a little while, but it's been great. It's still as epic as it was when I read it 15+ years ago. And I'm catching a lot of stuff I didn't catch the first time, connecting a lot of the dots that I didn't before.

I came across something in particular that stood out to me and really made me go "wow". I'm sure many of you remember the way Wolverine (going by Weapon X in the storyline) and Cyclops looked like in the Age of Apocalypse, particularly that Cyclops only had 1 eye (literally) and Wolverine only had one hand:

One of the little details I had forgotten about was that they both mention that in the past they had gotten into a fight, which the results of which was Cyclops losing an eye and Wolverine losing a hand.

1. I didn't realize Cyclops optic blasts were powerful enough to destroy Adamantium (the Adamantium that would have been in the bones of Wolverine's hand).

2. This goes to prove that Wolverine's healing factor MOST-DEFINETLY has limits or else his hand would have healed back (albeit without Adamantium), which it didn't. Yet Wolverine fanatics insist he can survive pretty much anything.

I just thought that was interesting, and wanted to share.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
RedComet33
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 2:38:35 PM

Groups: Member

interesting find. I've never read that particular run but I've heard great things about it.

With the exception of a few, comics aren't what they use to be. That's why I stick to the 60's - 80's. GO MARVEL.
fenix1977
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 5:22:21 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Wolverines ability to heal seems to be based on the Universe. In the 616 I have seen him heal from stuff that seems just completely ridiculous. Also there was the Ultimate Hulk vs Ultimate Wolverine mini series where the Hulk ripped Wolverine in half. The healed the two halves back together and survived some other messed up stuff during that mini series as well.

Mad Bloggings

ShenValleyInitiative
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:16:53 AM

I believe its been stated Wolverine put the stump on his hand because he lost the adamantium in the hand from that fight with Cyclops. Otherwise his hand still would have grown back (without adamantium).

Does it make sense? No, but I've read that from Marvel in the past.

BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:05:46 PM

Yeah, the metal cap at the end of his stump would stop any healing, now that you point that out. But I've got to wonder why he'd do that?

vinceclortho
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:45:59 PM

If I remember correctly, at the end of Factor X #4 there's a circumstance that throws another kink into your conundrum, specifically dealing with the death of Havok.

If your new to the Marvel War of Heroes app enter referral code muv861982 for a cool in-game card and reward.

Check out my Sporcle quiz! X-Men Past and Present

BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:54:03 PM

vinceclortho wrote:
If I remember correctly, at the end of Factor X #4 there's a circumstance that throws another kink into your conundrum, specifically dealing with the death of Havok.

Are you talking about Wolverine popping his claws out of his stump? He explains that one by saying when his hand was taken off, his claws were retracted into his arm.

vinceclortho
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 10:26:03 AM

BurningDoom wrote:
vinceclortho wrote:

Are you talking about Wolverine popping his claws out of his stump? He explains that one by saying when his hand was taken off, his claws were retracted into his arm.

And how many fights does Wolverine get into that he doesn't have his claws popped?

In the new series he's got some sort of Apoca-cannon thing that negates the need for the second set.

Just semantics though.. I have really enjoyed all things AoA - from the original 4 month crossover, to the 10th anniversary limited series, to the soon-to-be cancelled ongoing.

If your new to the Marvel War of Heroes app enter referral code muv861982 for a cool in-game card and reward.

Check out my Sporcle quiz! X-Men Past and Present

comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 10:38:26 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

This is definitely a tangent but;

I remember when Adamantium was "indestructible". The same way i remember Galactus was unbeatable.

Bothers me how Marvel has power upped and powerdowned certain things over the years.
No friggin' way should Cyclops optic blasts be able to vaporize Adamantium.
freakdylan
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 10:56:02 AM

comicuniversity wrote:

No friggin' way should Cyclops optic blasts be able to vaporize Adamantium.

But isnt everyone missing the point that there is no bone between the wrist and hand just cartilage. Just like a box knife couldnt cut through bone but could be used to remove a hand simply cut between wrist and hand.

This would negate the need to destroy the adamantium. Just cut his hand off with the adamantium still in it.

The thing I never liked about wolverine is when he swipes at something it cuts it into 2 pieces (top half and bottom half) yet he has 3 claws. So in reality the item would be cut into 4 pieces (top 2 small slivers and bottom). :)

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 3:49:46 PM

that bugged me in Hulk Vs. he cuts deadpools arm off and deadpool was putting it back together but there was just one middle piece. kind of annoyed me.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 5:41:57 PM

vinceclortho wrote:
And how many fights does Wolverine get into that he doesn't have his claws popped?

Hey, I didn't write it. You'll have to take that up with Larry Hama.

It was revealed in some dialogue, rather than seeing it actually happen. So we don't really know how the fight went down exactly (other than Wolverine losing the hand and Cyclops losing the eye). Maybe Cyclops got the drop on Wolverine.