Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Oz the Great and Powerful Options
Xylob
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 4:37:51 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Has anybody here seen this yet?

I went yesterday and thought it was fantastic.
As soon as the end credits started rolling I turned to my wife and said "I want to see that again.".

One of the very best parts? NOT a musical.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
barney
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 5:43:54 PM

Saw it yesterday. Thought it was very entertaining.
Curious in what Disney's plans are now, there obviously going to make money on this movie and you know they can't leave well enough alone.
Do they plan on remaking the original Wizard of Oz movie, if they plan on continuing the series and perhaps adapting the books, they would almost have to.
Even though this movie was an original story.

comicscastle
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 6:23:32 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Stupid question time. My wife is from China and has never seen the Wizard of Oz. Is this a movie she would enjoy on it's own or do you need to know the back story?

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 6:28:19 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I've been curious about this movie since I first heard about it. Probably going to see it soon. So far the reviews have been mixed, but I really don't care about what other people say about movies - I like to judge it myself. Very happy to hear that it is not a musical.

I read somewhere that Franco had signed up for two or more movies, maybe it's just options? And there is plenty of material out there. 14 total novels written by L. Frank Baum. set in Oz. I simply must read "Queer Visitors From the Marvelous Land of Oz" an early newspaper comic strip.

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations
TMNT figure lot

MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 6:31:38 PM

Shop at My Store

comicscastle wrote:
Stupid question time. My wife is from China and has never seen the Wizard of Oz. Is this a movie she would enjoy on it's own or do you need to know the back story?

You don't need to know anything about the old movie apparently. Of course there will be nuggets for fans of the original but it is designed as a stand alone, introductory type of thing. A prequel actually. Hope you both enjoy it!

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations
TMNT figure lot

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 6:45:49 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Disney originally wanted to do a remake of The Wizard of Oz, but could not secure the rights. I'm assuming that means they couldn't secure the rights to ANY of the original novels, which is why they opted for an original prequel story of their own.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 6:52:54 PM

Shop at My Store

Wait a minute, I thought that Disney was all-powerful. How come they can't get the rights? Just send the mouse and duck over. That'll take care of things real fast.

Hall Liquidations
TMNT figure lot

freakdylan
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 7:42:55 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I found the movie very boring! The entire movie is just a giant set up for a sequel. I normally dont go to movies due to the price of 5 people but heard this one was one of those must see in theater, wrong. I found nothing special about it being on big screen. I would save money and wait till it hits Bluray.

I also hated the casting of Glenda.

Even the special effects weren't that great for spending 300mil on the movie.

The only redeeming part of the movie is I dint fall asleep, which is a plus.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

fenix1977
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 9:00:27 PM

I did not like it..and I did not hate it. Maybe the not hating it had something to do with all that leather they had Mila Kunis in...

Mad Bloggings

freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:24:09 AM

fenix1977 wrote:
something to do with all that leather they had Mila Kunis in...

LMAO
I missed about 10 minutes of the movie while my mind drifted off wondering how she go those pants on ........................................................................................................... damn mind wandered off again.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:52:17 AM

Thundercron wrote:
Disney originally wanted to do a remake of The Wizard of Oz, but could not secure the rights. I'm assuming that means they couldn't secure the rights to ANY of the original novels, which is why they opted for an original prequel story of their own.
Negative Ghost Rider - too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Certain things from the first movie are copyrighted trademarks of WB like the ruby slippers, all of the songs, the specific shade of green on the witches skin, her freakin' chin wart (of all things!), some other stuff...
but ALL of the books are in the public domain.
The original movie was actually an adaptation that took heavy liberties - Disney can certainly do their own adaptation of the book that the original movie came from.
because the original movie was fairly different from the book, Disney would have to make sure theirs was also similarly dis-similar from the movie.
they could waste time and money dicking around to make sure their movie was different from WBs (or *gasp* just stick more to the book) or adapt one of the other books. Apparently, this new movie is very loosely adapted from L. Frank Baum's work.
I haven't read any of the original books, but they're all at the top of my list now.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
keldog
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 8:06:46 AM

Groups: Member

I took my daughter and wife to see it on Easter. It was ok but I think it was made to only be seen in 3D to get the full effect. We saw it in 2D and my daughter started to fall asleep until the China Doll character was introduced. I guess she could now relate to something in the movie. I could not get the whole witch/sister thing and not knowing who was the good or bad in the beginning was a waste. They should have added a witch of the south. Glida’s father did not rule Oz either. The water/tears should not have burned the witch of the west’s face until she turned evil. If that that is the case then Glinda’s face should have burned when she cried when she thought the wizard died.
It was an ok movie but it had many holes in the story.

"War At Any Provocation"

http://comicbookshow.blogspot.com
Grwurz
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:10:34 PM

I thought the movie was OK. I took my 7 year old daughter to see it and she thought it was great.

The story was a little hokey, but so are the original books, but the special effects were great. I liked Michelle Williams the best out of the witches and I have trouble taking Mila Kunis seriously in a movie for some reason. Although the leather pants were great!

As for not having seen the original and seeing this one.

It's not necessary, but I highly advise is. The movie stands on its own but there are some things that are nods to, and plant the seeds for, the original.

Oh and the original movie is almost nothing like the book. It's basically the characters, the location, and the central idea. So, if Disney wanted too, they could make a version faithful to the book. But I bet they were afraid to because the original movie is so loved the way it is. They were probably worried that such a radical departure from the original would fall flat on it's face.

Free shipping is available on ANY order $40.00 and above. No minimum books necessary. Whether it's 1 book or 100 books. If it's $40.00 or more, it ships FREE!

Also, if you buy 10 or more $1.00 books, all the $1.00 books are 25% off. Effectively making them $.75 books! I've got hundreds of them!

Come take a look!
dunleavy75
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 5:28:40 PM

I thought the visuals were excellent, and overall it was pretty good.

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
Smallville95
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 1:18:13 PM

I am a major fan of anything Oz and I thought it was pretty good. I took my girlfriend to see it and she hasn't seen the original but she said she enjoyed this one. I understand comments about Kunis' performance and I agree....I couldn't take her seriously as a Wicked Witch....her voice isn't right for it. Sequel wise- I heard that it is indeed planned to turn it into a franchise again but they don't want to touch the original, at least not yet. They say they have 20 years in Oz to still explore before the original and a lot can happen in that time. But otherwise this was a good movie and I recommend it especially if you have seen the original because there are some cool nods if you pay attention :)

Madness is like gravity...all you need is a little push!
jamnloki
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 10:05:47 AM

Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host

This was a great movie. The visuals were just awesome. Franco is not my favorite actor,but I thought he did a good job.

Mila Kunis, Drooling ...even green.

Smallville95 wrote:
I am a major fan of anything Oz

Here too. Wizard is one of my favorite movies. The books too. Over the years I've been trying to get my hands on anything Oz I can.

R.I.P. Morgan Anthony Jacques

R.I.P. TRACY L. BROWN

** Make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules **:HERE