Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
SUMMER SUPERHERO MOVIE INSANITY!----SPOILERS GALORE Options
Shizz
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 4:59:17 PM

Groups: Member

Yeah, it was awesome to see Silver Surfer done well. I was just disappointed with Galactus....as well as Doom. But I was use to being disappointed in him from the first movie. I would love for SS to get his own spin-off.
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 12:58:19 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I really liked this one upon my first viewings, but closer analysis tells me that some of it doesn't make sense, storywise.

As the movie unfolds, you get the impression that the main story is the wedding of Reed & Sue, and the end of the world/Silver Surfer plot is kind of relegated to a sub-plot. There's just a LOT of the wedding drama going on the first half of this movie, when it should be the other way around.

What's with Sue's role-reversal since the first movie? In the first movie, she was a scientist. Strong career woman, so to speak. Now she suddenly wants to be Suzie Homemaker, and won't stop complaining about her wedding. And she doesn't treat Reed very well, either. You'd think someone with Reed's pedigree could do better.

So throughout the movie, Sue keeps saying she wants her and Reed to quit the FF. Says it's no way to raise kids, plus--what if Reed or Sue were ever killed? Valid concerns. Then at the end, Sue has a change of heart, for apparently no reason at all. Keep in mind this was after she was IMPALED and almost died! She only lived because Surfer was there to save her life. If ever there was an argument to give up super-heroing, getting IMPALED would be it! But no, she pays it no mind. Plus, after Doom is defeated, she says the world needs the FF. But the FF didn't defeat Doom--Johnny did, single-handedly! Sure, he absorbed the others' powers. But this would have been the most opportune time to quit--just give her and Reed's powere to Johnny while the Surfer is still around. Then the world could still benefit from the FF's powers through Johnny.

Anyway, just some of my gripes. Still enjoy the movie, though!
BurningDoom
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 1:20:52 AM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

I really liked FF 2, as well. But like others have said, Galactus was a big disapppointment. A giant freaking cloud, really? And despire Dr. Doom being crapped on the first movie, I thought he was redeemed in the 2nd film. He felt more like his power-driven self in 2nd one.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 11:22:50 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

I noticed that too thundercron. It seemed way too pat, how Sue and reed just totally changed their minds.
comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:37:39 AM

X-MEN: THE LAST STAND

REVIEW

The GOOD:

The final fight was pretty cool. An all out superhero slugfest.

I liked the Multiple Man for some reason, even though he was only a bit part.

The look of Jean as she kind of "phoenixed" was cool.

The relationship between magneto and Xavier was more fully fleshed out.

The debate about whether or not being a mutant can be "cured" was a good plot point.

Kelsey Grammar was a great Beast, and the way he shut down Mag's at the end was pretty awesome.

The end scene, with Xavier transplanting his mind into the coma patient, while predictable, was still cool.

The world is hunting for Magneto. Of course, they would. Realistic.

The BAD:

Why, oh why, would Jean/Phoenix go with Magneto. It made absolutely no sense. And since it was one of the major plot points of the movie, the entire movie suffered for it.

Too many characters. It was confusing.

Rogue's arc made sense.....but it had no emotional pull like it should have. I mean, we're dealing with powerful stuff, but, it all seemed rushed and ho-hum.

It's always way too easy fr bad guys to escape capture. the scene where Mystique, Juggernaut and Multiple Man are rescued was so stupidly predictable. I mean, won't the humans ever learn? How many times do these mutants have to escape capture?

Conclusion:
Couple of enormous plotholes that affected my enjoyment, but the action was good and there were some real "pay-off" scenes.
C+

comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:59:28 AM

IRON MAN

REVIEW

The Good:

Tony's transformation. It's refreshing that when the good guy goes from irresponsible idiot to hero with a conscience he doesn't lose his entire personality. Tony never became some holier than though good two shoes. He remained cocky and irreverent. It was way more realistic this way.

Downey Jr.'s acting. Man, he's just really good.

Some of the scenes with the mindless robots in Tony's workshop are really funny.

Terrence Howard and Jeff Bridges were great.

Loved the tease with the "10 rings". I'm thinking we're going to get a "real" Mandarin in Iron Man 4.

I loooved the idea of Iron Man going on a quest to destroy his tech that had been co-opted by the terrorists. Great story.

The fact that it took him a while to actually get proficient with the armor was a nice touch of realism.

Agent Coulson was great. Finally a governmental security agent who isn't either incompetent, corrupt or straight out evil.

The BAD:

I didn't get why Stane went from this behind the scenes power player to totally over the top armor wearing bad guy. It didn't make sense. I mean, why didn't he just keep using flunkies? He totally sold himself out.

The blatant Burger King product placement was offputting.

The terrorists were pretty stupid. I mean, Stark built a suit of armor right under their noses. That was intelligence insulting.

Conclusion:

This was a really good movie. Strong acting. Plenty of "payoff" moments. Solid story.
B+

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:28:28 AM

Shop at My Store

Although it's still kind of weak, I don't hate on X-Men 3 as much as others. You mentioned "why would Jean Grey join Magneto". The flip side is also true--why would Magneto try to recruit Jean Grey? How could he possibly think he could harness her power? He just saw his former best friend get murdered by her (which didn't seem to affect him all that much, by the way). You'd think he'd realize the same could happen to him if Jean simply had a bad day, or if she thought Magneto looked at her funny.

I actually liked how they tried to adapt the Dark Phoenix Story. Look, the inter-galactic version we saw in the comics just wasn't going to happen on the big screen. Not only for budgetary/time constraints, but because the X-Men movies had established themselves as more down to earth, realistic-type stories. To turn the series into some cosmic epic would have been jarring to the average viewers. But I think the core ideas behind the Dark Phoenix Saga still shone through the movie--Jean Grey goes mad with power, does some really bad stuff, and ultimately has to pay for her crimes with her life. Pretty well done, even if Ratner's directing wasn't as good. And even if Wolverine would have been freaking dead in about two seconds at the end scene.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:01:03 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Thundercron wrote:
Look, the inter-galactic version we saw in the comics just wasn't going to happen on the big screen. Not only for budgetary/time constraints, but because the X-Men movies had established themselves as more down to earth, realistic-type stories. To turn the series into some cosmic epic would have been jarring to the average viewers.

Could you imagine having to introduce (in one movie) the Shi'ar, Imperial Guard, the Blue Area of the Moon, the Watcher, oh, and dozens of alien races? Anyone remember Green Lantern?

Maybe that would work in a TV mini-series or something but not in a 2-3 hour movie.

I liked the huge battle royale at the end of this movie but wish they could have used some more recognizable villains. It seemed like a lot of them were just generic mutants they made up just for the movie. The Marvel Universe is littered with cannon fodder that could have been chosen.

Still liked it, though!Big Grin

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:43:55 AM

I think you gave Iron Man a low grade. That's Marvel's best film, after Avengers, IMO.

Dreadnok01
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 12:44:31 PM

comicuniversity wrote:
RANKING

1) Man of Steel
2) Iron Man
3) Incredible Hulk
4) Amazing Spider-Man
5) Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
6) Captain America: The First Avenger
7) League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
8) X-Men: the Last Stand
9) Iron Man 2
10) Iron Man 3
11) Daredevil

Just my opinion so far
1) Man of Steel
2) Amazing Spider-man
3) Captain America: The First Avenger
4) Iron Man
5) Incredible Hulk
6) Iron Man 2
7) Fantastic Four: Rise off the Silver Surfer
8) League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
9) Iron Man 3
10) X-men: The Last Stand
11) Daredevil
comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:04:27 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
I think you gave Iron Man a low grade. That's Marvel's best film, after Avengers, IMO.

I gave it a B+ and the number two ranking on my list. Can't get much higher than that.

I actually think Marvel plays it pretty safe with their super hero movies. As a result, none of them are really bad....but, on the flipside, none of them are superior movies. Their all, mostly, in that C- to B- range.
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:41:56 PM

It would have gotten the A grade from me.

comicscastle
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:24:46 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

comicuniversity wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

I gave it a B+ and the number two ranking on my list. Can't get much higher than that.

I actually think Marvel plays it pretty safe with their super hero movies. As a result, none of them are really bad....but, on the flipside, none of them are superior movies. Their all, mostly, in that C- to B- range.
I think the low grade was for Iron Man 3, which I felt was an excellent movie. I would like to see a review on Catwoman. Critics loathed it, but I thought it was pretty good. At least I felt Halle Berry did a good job.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

Shizz
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:24:51 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
It would have gotten the A grade from me.

+1
I thought the first IM was awesome. Much better than the last two. Marvel set the bar high with their first superhero movie.

X3: Time Out Wall No, no, no, no, I have no words to describe. The beginning of Fox's superhero decline.
comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:39:07 PM

X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE

REVIEW

The GOOD:

Hugh Jackman is REALLy good. He just embodies Wolverine.

Liev Schreiber is a pretty danged good Sabretooth too. He just exudes menace.

The old couple that save Logan just chew scenery.

The way Emma and Scott's powers are shown is well done.

"How are you going to kill me?" "thought I'd cut your head off. See how that works." Awesome line.

The BAD:

Everything else. This is a pretty bad movie.

Gambit is stupid. Let me just dissect his opening scene. Ok. So, he hates Sabretooth and the entire program and has gone to great lengths to escape them. Wolverine Shows up and Gambit wants nothing to do with him and his quest. So, he blows Logan through a wall to escape him. Then Sabretooth shows up and Wolvie and Sabretooth are killing each other. Problem solved for ol' Remy right? Just use the fight to escape. Nope. Gambit attacks both Sabretooth and Wolverine. Stupid.

And.....there are so many intelligence insulting moments it's ridiculous.
In the same fight that I mentioned above. Gambit is the most gymnastic flipping flopping character ever. he's so agile that he is able to literraly run up buildings. But, seconds later, once he has flippity flopped onto a fire escape, Logan begins to cut the ladder down. And...suddenly, remy has forgotten how to even walk, much less flip out of harms way. he just stands there paralyzed until Logan cuts him down.
And...there's about a hundred of these moments. Oooooh. heres another.--------Strikers entire plan. He knows Wolverine is going to be his enemy. He knows his entire plan hinges on killing wolverine. So, he makes him invulnerable. On purpose. In fact, he tricks him into it WTF?

And...Everybody is a ninja. everybody in the movie is able to slice bullets in half with swords and flip up the side of buildings and do all kinds of ninja stuff. boring.

OK....Dumbest part of this dumb movie. So, Sabretooth and Wolverine have become absolute mortal enemies. I mean, their entire lives have become centered around killing the other. But, then, at the end, when Wolvie is about to be killed by Deadpool (and dont get me started on how stupid it was for Logan to climb on top of that nuclear plant tower for the fight) all of a sudden They are absolute soul mates again. Stupid.

Lots other stuff. But, this movie is flat out for people who just want to see explosions. It just insults the intelligence at every turn.

Conclusion: Believe it or not I give it a D-. Not an F, only because Jackman and Schrieber were good enough to save it from an F. But, this movie is pretty friggin' bad.

BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:50:43 PM

I don't get the hate for Wolverine. Everyone likes to complain that it's not in-depth enough...it's a Wolverine story! It's not supposed to be. All you need are bad ass fights, and cool one-liners.

Reggie
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:25:21 PM

Back in the day it would have been unheard of to get a blockbuster comic movie like Wolverine. But today, we are so oversaturated with comic book movies that they literally have to be oscar worthy to be any good anymore. This same Wolverine movie would have been sheer awesomeness if it came out in the 90's. But now comic book movies have to make complete sense from every little detail and be perfect from story, plot, score, etc. to be worth a damn in most peoples' eyes anymore and it's kinda sad. It loses the fun a movie like these can have. I for one enjoyed X-Men Origins: Wolverine, some bad parts sure, but come on, it's a freaking Wolverine movie!

Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:35:43 PM

Shop at My Store

Reggie wrote:
Back in the day it would have been unheard of to get a blockbuster comic movie like Wolverine. But today, we are so oversaturated with comic book movies that they literally have to be oscar worthy to be any good anymore. This same Wolverine movie would have been sheer awesomeness if it came out in the 90's. But now comic book movies have to make complete sense from every little detail and be perfect from story, plot, score, etc. to be worth a damn in most peoples' eyes anymore and it's kinda sad. It loses the fun a movie like these can have. I for one enjoyed X-Men Origins: Wolverine, some bad parts sure, but come on, it's a freaking Wolverine movie!

Totally agree! People seem to forget that it wasn't too long ago that the best live-action fare around was the Nicholas Hammond Spider-Man tv show, and the Hulk tv show.

Len Wein (Wolverine's creator) was at a convention shortly after this movie came out. He said he enjoyed it.
comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:37:22 PM

Reggie wrote:

Hey man, you can talk your way around it and try to tell me why i should have liked a movie all you want.

Doesn't change the fact that I thought this was a steaming pile of crap. I mean, you can't convince someone to like a movie that they didn't like. Taste is entirely subjective and personal.

I don't understand your "it, literally, has to be oscarworthy" comment which aint too literal afterall (lol)...since, if you are reading my reviews, I like more of these movies than i don't like.
I am a big fan of Iron man, Man ofSteel, Incredible Hulk,Amazing Spider man and others.....and none of those are filling the roles on oscar night. lol.

Sorry, but, I don't care if it's a comic movie or not. If it's good, it's good. If it's crap, it's crap. And, like I said, i am trying to judge these movies on their own merits---not as a comparison to their originating material.

If you fill a bag full of crap and stamp Wolverine's picture on it......It's still a bag of crap. lol

comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:40:49 PM

Reggie wrote:

As far as it being sheer awesomeness in the 90's, that might be true....but, of course, my taste in movies has changed a lot since I was a teenager.

For better or worse, unlike when I was 16, I NEED more than explosions and guns to consider a movie good.