Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
First comics? Options
Brainiac5
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 3:54:05 PM

Groups: Member

I lived in a small, Wisconsin town and my "comic store" was a Red Owl gorcery store. I don't remember any DCs or Marvels really being there, so I got Gold Key. Some licensed cartoon properties and my first "super heroes" were Gold Key's Tiger Girl one-shot and The Hanna-Barbera adventure line from Gold Key. We moved to a larger city in Wisconsin and became largely a DC fan.
Xylob
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 4:03:33 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

My first comics were "ancient" hand-me-downs from my mom and her siblings - Hot Stuff, Richie Rich, and Disney stuff (mostly Uncle Scrooge).
My first superhero comic was Justice League 196:

I was 8 when it came out, and mostly unimpressed. I stuck with the Disney stuff for a long time.
When I bought comics it was usually at the local drug store, Safeway, or Mini-Mart.
There is still no comic shop in my home town (glad I don't live there anymore!).

Emeral Dawn #1 is what got me hooked and made me a fan of superhero stuff and a collector:

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
BurningDoom
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 4:54:50 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

I started off reading my dad's collection when I was VERY young. I pretty much learned how to read from his comics. I particularly enjoyed the EC Comics horror comics (Tales From the Crypt, Vault of Horror, etc.), and Superman and Captain Marvel (Shazam!).

The first comic I remember really liking a lot is DC Comics Presents Annual #3:

Which is probably why I liked Superman and Captain Marvel so much as a little kid.

When I started buying my own comics it was during the 90s boom, and I was in grade school and middle school. The first stuff I bought was Spider-Man, X-Men, and Superman. That was around the time The Death and Return of Superman was going on, X-Men: Fatal Attractions was happening, and Venom and Carnage were big in the Spider-Man books.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
comicscastle
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:14:33 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

This is the first comic I can remember owning, although I'm sure I must have had Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck since my parents would be buying them, but I can actually remember seeing this book on the stands and begging my mother to buy it for me. That was in 1957 and now 56 years later I'm still collecting.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Comic Cellar

BruceReville
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:37:01 PM

My first comic was a Thor (most likely Journey Into Mystery) but I can't remember the number - but dang if it didn't start a force of nature that continues to this day

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

freakdylan
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:59:57 PM

Being born to Very Hippy parents, my 1st comics were "The Fabulous Freak Brothers" which I never really understood until my teens, lol. Then when I was about 14 I inherited about 15 longboxes of comics. Read them all over one summer then traded them all in for about $300 in store credit. I thought it was a great deal to be getting all those shiny new comics for my old Marvel comics from the 60sCrying

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

teh_longinator
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 11:07:59 PM

freakdylan wrote:
Being born to Very Hippy parents, my 1st comics were "The Fabulous Freak Brothers" which I never really understood until my teens, lol. Then when I was about 14 I inherited about 15 longboxes of comics. Read them all over one summer then traded them all in for about $300 in store credit. I thought it was a great deal to be getting all those shiny new comics for my old Marvel comics from the 60sCrying

Ouch. I feel ya bro.

My first comic was in 2009 (I think). Batman 688 that my girlfriend bought me. Man, she opened one can of worms on that one :P

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Shadowdodger
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 11:39:51 PM

My first comics were the Archie run of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the late 80's followed by the X-Men re-launch and Image Comics in the early 90's.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
Khaine
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:22:45 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber

My first comic that was only mine and didn't have to be shared with my brothers was GI Joe 21 through marvels subscription service.

I wasn't very happy with the issue as it had no words and I thought I was getting ripped off.
JimmmKelly
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 2:58:24 PM

As I talk about on my blog--HERE THERE BE GIANTS--the first comic I remember picking out for myself in a store was an issue of STUMBO TINYTOWN, a giant-size comic from Harvey.

The first two issues I remember buying with my own money were a few years after that--BATMAN 188 and ACTION COMICS 344--both because I had a bad case of Batmania.

Up until Batmania and the craze for super-heroes, I don't remember ever seeing any Marvel comics in our stores in the hinterlands of Vancouver. Likewise, Charlton didn't seem to get very good distribution.

The popular publishers with us little kids were Harvey, Gold Key, Dell, Archie--and also Fawcett for DENNIS THE MENACE. And yeah, some DC comics--but mainly the funny ones like SUGAR AND SPIKE and THE ADVENTURES OF BOB HOPE.

I really had no interest in SUPERMAN comics or any other super-heroes, until the BATMAN TV show.

MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES
Kingsman
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 7:42:45 PM

These are my two culprits . . .

kisstour03
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:10:05 PM

The first comics I remember "reading" when I was really young were my brothers comics. They were a variety of Marvel and DC from the early to mid 70s and some early 80s as well. The ones I liked best were Hulk and Spider-Man.

The first book I recall picking out myself at the local corner store was probably Incredible Hulk. If I had to guess at an issue probably #238.
Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:49:09 PM

Groups: Approver, Member

This was the first comic I ever owned (not the 1st I ever read).... 'Nuff Said!

rook68
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 12:53:07 AM

freakdylan wrote:

I also know the feeling. I didn't have 15 long boxes but only about two stacks of Master of Kung Fu, Spiderman, Hulk among others. Sold all of them to a summer school teacher for a few bucks. At the time, I was so happy to have candy money. Never realized until my teens that the teacher was ripping kids off. Me being one of those kids.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

ratrapp
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 5:29:06 AM

the first book I remember buying was incredible hulk 272 at a local 7-11 many years ago.we don't have the 7-11 or any place to buy comics locally anymore.closest shop is 40-50 miles away.
dunleavy75
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 8:00:07 AM

My first comic bought was an issue of Spider-Man around 1990. Other than a short window in the late 90's/early 2000's, I've been collecting ever since!

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
jhorsley3
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 9:34:34 AM

Shop at My Store

The first comic book I remember buying was Wolverine #50, the yellow one with the slashes through it from the local Red Apple grocery store. I was young and thought it would one day be worth a lot of money, like $20 or something.

After that my dad (who was an avid collector) would buy me Wolverine, Superman, Action Comics, Man of Steel and Adv of Superman each month from the grocery store with some Batman comics mixed in when he felt like it.

The first comic I can remember reading was the Death of Superman series. That one sticks out in my head.

Like our facebook page: Th3 Comics
Khaine
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 9:42:09 AM

This is off topic but, I had said before I just recently got back into comics. Whatever happened to newsstands and grocery stores selling comics?

When I was a kid you could get comics in a variety of stores now it seems if your not lucky enough to have a specialty store near you, your only option is the internet.
jhorsley3
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 9:58:09 AM

Shop at My Store

Khaine wrote:
This is off topic but, I had said before I just recently got back into comics. Whatever happened to newsstands and grocery stores selling comics?

When I was a kid you could get comics in a variety of stores now it seems if your not lucky enough to have a specialty store near you, your only option is the internet.

Barnes & Noble still has some, but yeah I miss the racks at the grocery store to just grab one that looked good.

Like our facebook page: Th3 Comics
Alarion
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 10:59:16 AM

I think this was my first, or one of my first comics. I was getting a GI Joe issue here and there as well. All bought off spinner racks

I don't remember what my first super-hero book was though - which is actually kind of disappointing Confused