Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Spouses and collecting Options
kisstour03
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 5:08:36 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

BurningDoom wrote:
My wife isn't so much dirty, as she is a clutterer, though.

I've told my wife her middle name should be "Clutter". WOW!!! she can clutter up a freshly cleaned up kitchen and living room FAST!! Maybe that's her super power.
43rdStreetComicBooks
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 7:04:04 PM

Groups: Member

My gf pretty much is ok with it mostly because 99% of everything I buy cards, comics etc I am going to sell. I pretty much gave up on collecting years ago really. I still collect specific issues or items, as long as its something I want to hang on my wall other then that its all to be resold really.

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convince the world he didn't exist"

www.43rdstreetmtgcards.com

www.43rdstreetcomicbooks.com

roguesquad
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:54:02 AM

My wife hates it. She has repeatedly told me to stop buying comics and to trash the 1400+ that I have in the basement. Of course I don't listen to her. Laughing I tend to work 50-55 hours a week so if I want to buy some comics, I'm gonna buy some comics. Some may call that selfish but I just don't care! Big Grin

All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.
ukblueky
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:03:45 AM

BurningDoom wrote:
fenix1977 wrote:
She is ok with it. As long as I don't go off the deep end. My comic book room is the most organized and clean room in the house..mostly because I keep her out of it.

Laughing

Too true at my house, too. My wife isn't so much dirty, as she is a clutterer, though. And part of that is me being OCD about my collection.

The same is true at my house. My comic room is off limits (as far as hanging out or loitering goes) to the wife, kids, and pets. Because of this its the most organized room in our home.

DaLeah96
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:20:51 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

My wife is fine with my collecting, but then we met because I was managing a comic shop that her mother was part owner of. Cool

She also got into ElfQuest and has a better EQ collection than I do with rareities and original art that I didn't have.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here.
rook68
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:44:01 AM

My wife tolerates me collecting comics. She knows it makes me happy so she let's me do it. She thinks it's nerdy but like the general public who don't collect comics. She has learned that it's cool because of the films and television shows that have come out every year based on comic books. She even let me change one of our bed rooms into a "Library". Funny thing is that the comic books out number standard books in the library.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

redartz60
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 9:39:02 PM

My wife is fine with my hobby, as long as I keep it reasonable. She helps look for comics at the flea markets, and enjoys going to Free Comic Book Day. She actually has amassed a short box of books herself (with a bit of help from her geek husband, of course). Some of my books I'll keep for good, some will eventually be sold to aid our retirement, and some are claimed by my collector son...
Brainiac5
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 3:42:16 PM

My wife buys some tie-ins that have to do with TV shows she likes: Emergency!, Dragnet, Adam-12, and Dark Shadows-so she goes to the Antiques Mall with me.
Shadowdodger
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 11:46:26 PM

My wife is actually really cool about it. She knew when she met me that this is something I'm in to. As long as it doesn't interfere with the mortgage and other bills she doesn't say anything. I have "my room" and the basement to keep everything.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
rook68
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 1:04:56 AM

Shadowdodger wrote:
My wife is actually really cool about it. She knew when she met me that this is something I'm in to. As long as it doesn't interfere with the mortgage and other bills she doesn't say anything. I have "my room" and the basement to keep everything.

Not me. She had no idea until it was too late.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

Logan73
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 5:36:32 AM

Interesting topic to the point of leading me to my first reply. Life would be somewhat different if my wife enjoyed comics, but in realty she hates them. She believes they take me away from her (which of course has more than a grain of truth to it at times). Over the winding road and our years together we came to a workable agreement... if I refrain from spending too much time at one sitting, and only buy new comics from the money of selling my current comics, then peace abounds.

I will probably sell them all in time to help pay for the patio set for our close to the beach retirement house one day.

I thought about passing them on to my children, but since I do not have any children (as far as the courts and I know about)... it seems like a lot of work just to pass the torch.
Khaine
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 7:51:30 AM

no nephews or nieces? My girls are not into the same books I was as a child so I gave my nephews a box filled with GI Joes, Transformers and Star Wars.
dunleavy75
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 7:56:16 AM

As long as I stay in my budget, my wife is way cool about my hobby. I'm not like other guys that have other hobbies like cars, guitars, etc., my only vice is comics, so it's cool.

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
jhorsley3
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 9:56:31 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

My wife is slowly becoming more of a comic geek/nerd then she ever thought she would. She doesn't read comics, but she knows I love them. She does love to watch all the comic movies and can talk about them pretty in depth.

She has no problem with my collecting, since all 4 of our kids also collect.

My dad passed away last year and he was an avid collector. He collected comics for himself and he collected certain titles for all his grandkids. This is what got my kids into collecting.

Like our facebook page: Th3 Comics
Jshock80
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:37:53 PM

My Wife could care less, as long as there is food on the table, bills are paid, and my son is not in need, she does not care one bit, and that is cool she likes the movies and stuff but that is as far as it goes, she collects her own things and I never question her stuff, so it all worksout in the end.
Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:55:02 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

rook68 wrote:
Shadowdodger wrote:

Not me. She had no idea until it was too late.
Yeah, mine knew I collected some action figures (I'd only just gotten into that when we met) and she knew that I loved video games, but I hadn't collected comics for a long time when we met and she had no idea about my collection that was in storage. It wasn't until 2006, 6 years after we met, that I got back into comics.
She was not happy.
It took her a while to get to the point where she would tolerate it.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
kisstour03
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:48:52 PM

I see the same comments in every forum I belong to for collecting. Be it comics, toys or whatever. "My wife hates it." "She hates it but tolerates it." "she'd kill me if I knew what I spend every month." I'm lost when it comes to this attitude because my wife is so easy going about these things. Easy going with everything really. Why do wives/girlfriends hate whatever it is you collect so much? Is it a control thing? Money thing?
fenix1977
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:04:35 AM

Now that we have a wedding to pay for I cut my pull list in half. I figure it is a show of good faith..that I am willing to curb my spending..and now I can give her the stank eye when she wants to go shoe shopping. Rolling on the Floor

Mad Bloggings

ratrapp
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:12:13 AM

yeah,some g/f or wives look at it like it's taking money away from them.i drag race when I get time and one of my past g/f hated it because she said every time I bought a part for a car it took away from buying her a ring.needless to say we're not together.i just got into reading/collecting comics about 3 years ago after taking a long hiatus and the current g/f tolerates it but if she knew how much I've spent she'd go through the roof.i feel as long as I pay my bills what I do with my extra money is my business.
scotracycowles
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:54:50 AM

fenix1977 wrote:
She is ok with it. As long as I don't go off the deep end. My comic book room is the most organized and clean room in the house..mostly because I keep her out of it.

The hard part is keeping the kids out of the comic room. My son is turning 5 in a few weeks. He is quick to point out how he always shares his toys and "homics" with me, but I don't share mine with him.Wall