Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Marvel to Re-re-launch titles? Options
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 10:22:16 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

SlappyBlades wrote:
I've been collecting comics in an erratic fashion for a long time. I bought a majority of the New 52 from DC. And most of what I read left a bad taste in my mouth.

Still, I was excited to hear about Marvel Now and remained open minded. I was aware of the re-numberings of recent past and set a rule for myself. I will go only as far as these books would take me.

With that rule in mind, I bought a majority of Marvel Now. With that rule in mind I'm now done with most of the books I tried. I've had enough. I'm going to devote my budget to comics of the past.

Super heroes are and always will be my favorite. But I won't continue to buy the chum hitting the shelves each month. Most of what I buy now is creator owned titles. Image, Dark Horse and an occasional IDW.

I like a lot of these titles. It's easier to find a satisfying read with titles that don't make me feel like I'm throwing my money away. But they're not superheroes. I'm cutting back on creator owned because I want superheroes.

I'm putting the crack pipe down. I'm going to spend more time in the back issue section of my local comic store. I don't want anymore events. I won't buy another new #1. I won't stick around hoping that next month, the next issue will get better.

I won't buy any new comics if this is the way Marvel & DC want to sell them to me.

I've got a lot of holes in my collection. I think it's time to fill the empty spaces.

Man, this post reads like an affirmation, or a mission statement, or resolution. Something I would find on a website looking to gather signatures for something.

Where do I sign???
teh_longinator
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 10:51:03 PM

Groups: Member

Thundercron wrote:
SlappyBlades wrote:
I've been collecting comics in an erratic fashion for a long time. I bought a majority of the New 52 from DC. And most of what I read left a bad taste in my mouth.

Still, I was excited to hear about Marvel Now and remained open minded. I was aware of the re-numberings of recent past and set a rule for myself. I will go only as far as these books would take me.

With that rule in mind, I bought a majority of Marvel Now. With that rule in mind I'm now done with most of the books I tried. I've had enough. I'm going to devote my budget to comics of the past.

Super heroes are and always will be my favorite. But I won't continue to buy the chum hitting the shelves each month. Most of what I buy now is creator owned titles. Image, Dark Horse and an occasional IDW.

I like a lot of these titles. It's easier to find a satisfying read with titles that don't make me feel like I'm throwing my money away. But they're not superheroes. I'm cutting back on creator owned because I want superheroes.

I'm putting the crack pipe down. I'm going to spend more time in the back issue section of my local comic store. I don't want anymore events. I won't buy another new #1. I won't stick around hoping that next month, the next issue will get better.

I won't buy any new comics if this is the way Marvel & DC want to sell them to me.

I've got a lot of holes in my collection. I think it's time to fill the empty spaces.

Man, this post reads like an affirmation, or a mission statement, or resolution. Something I would find on a website looking to gather signatures for something.

Where do I sign???

I'm in. My plan is to cut my spending on weekly books from $200 a month, down to about $120 a month. I can use the extra to buy some back-issues and fill out my Batman/Spidey/X-Men runs.

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
kisstour03
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:54:24 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

My only problem with trade waiting is the waiting. LOL I have several titles I had to drop for financial reasons awhile back that I'm thinking of doing the trade waiting thing now. Probably won't save me any cash in the long run but will give me time to save up for them too. And back issue shopping here on CCL has gotten me lots of cool books I never would have read years ago.
rook68
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 12:38:18 AM

teh_longinator wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
SlappyBlades wrote:

Where do I sign???

I'm in. My plan is to cut my spending on weekly books from $200 a month, down to about $120 a month. I can use the extra to buy some back-issues and fill out my Batman/Spidey/X-Men runs.

$200 a month? I am so jealous. I wish I had that kind of disposable income to buy books.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

kisstour03
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 3:57:38 PM

rook68 wrote:
teh_longinator wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
SlappyBlades wrote:

Where do I sign???

$200 a month? I am so jealous. I wish I had that kind of disposable income to buy books.

Put me in the jealous column as well. Hell at $120 a month I'm in the jealous column. Right now I'm at 10 books in my monthly pulls and that's around $30 or so with shipping. Damn this being an adult with bills crap.
SlappyBlades
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 12:28:25 PM

Thundercron wrote:
SlappyBlades wrote:

Where do I sign???

Thanks, Thudercron. Now that you mention it, it might be all 3. I spent the last year cutting my pull box to pieces.

Take this title out. No, put it back in. No, I had it right the first time. Take that title OUT of my pull box! I don't want it anymore! You can't make me buy it! I won't!

I did this ALL year until only a few titles now remain.

Some books I did like to read. Other were very easy to drop. I had to lighten my budget so I could focus on back issues and buy comics that put a smile on my face when I read them. Rather than comics that regularly miss the mark.

Among many other titles, I'm big into the '70s & '80s The Flash.
kidlippy
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 9:26:23 PM

kisstour03 wrote:
rook68 wrote:
teh_longinator wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
SlappyBlades wrote:

Where do I sign???

Put me in the jealous column as well. Hell at $120 a month I'm in the jealous column. Right now I'm at 10 books in my monthly pulls and that's around $30 or so with shipping. Damn this being an adult with bills crap.

I totally understand that. I want to be a kid again where my biggest worry was "Where's my allowance?"

I hate the re-re-launch crap. I hate having 4 or more "volumes" of a damn book where it could easily be 100 or more issues. I also hate that Fantastic Four, Uncanny X-Men, Avengers, Thor, Iron Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America, and Incredible Hulk had to be discontinued for BS reasons.

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy

roguesquad
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 9:17:07 AM

rook68 wrote:
teh_longinator wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
SlappyBlades wrote:

Where do I sign???

ya, I'm pretty jealous of that too. I only have $25 a month available for my addiction.

All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.
kidlippy
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:16:59 PM

roguesquad wrote:
rook68 wrote:
teh_longinator wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
SlappyBlades wrote:

Where do I sign???

ya, I'm pretty jealous of that too. I only have $25 a month available for my addiction.

$25??? What does that buy you??Think My spending changes from week to week. This month has been a killer on my wallet.

roguesquad
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:31:42 PM

kidlippy wrote:
roguesquad wrote:
rook68 wrote:
teh_longinator wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
SlappyBlades wrote:

Where do I sign???

$25??? What does that buy you??Think My spending changes from week to week. This month has been a killer on my wallet.

That gets me 8-10 books a month depending on certain specials being run.. (i use Discount comic book service).

These re-re-re launches are getting old but I am excited about Silver Surfer.

All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.
kidlippy
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 5:41:11 PM

roguesquad wrote:
kidlippy wrote:
roguesquad wrote:
rook68 wrote:
teh_longinator wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
SlappyBlades wrote:

Where do I sign???

That gets me 8-10 books a month depending on certain specials being run.. (i use Discount comic book service).

I haven't read Silver Surfer since the 90s, but I am looking forward to this new series. Also looking forward to Amazing Spider-Man#1!!

Skattershot
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:04:14 PM

kidlippy wrote:
roguesquad wrote:
kidlippy wrote:
roguesquad wrote:
rook68 wrote:
teh_longinator wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
SlappyBlades wrote:

Where do I sign???

I haven't read Silver Surfer since the 90s, but I am looking forward to this new series. Also looking forward to Amazing Spider-Man#1!!

Kill me now...I'm at about $200 a week. Granted though alot of those are variant titles.

I used to just do the X-titles, but expanded out when the Marvel NOW! came out. Man that was a mistake. An issue of a title a month? You mean WEEKLY! Once all the NOW! stuff is done, so am I. I never did read alot of DC, but at least when they "rebooted", they left it. Sure some got canceled and some new stuff came out, but they haven't renumbered since the New 52. Marvel on the other hand won't let a title break 20 it seems. Wolverine and the X-Men, a fairly recent title is up to 40, so I guess it's time to cancel/reboot. I lost track of how many X-titles there are now...2 X-Force titles and 3 Wolverine solo titles? Published WEEKLY? I have faith Axel and Joe will run it into the ground. It almost seems like it's all Bendis and Fraction doing all the writing anymore, the artwork is getting atrocious, which is sad since I can understand if they had like 4-8 scenes a panel, whereas now they have like 2, maybe 3 if you're lucky.

A book used to take me 30-60 mins to read back then. Now? 5 minutes...

The re-re-relaunch is killing us Marvel. My shop can't even keep up with the weekly ships anymore, and they've never let me down before. I can't blame them if they miss an issue in my pull list 'cuz of this weekly re-re-relaunch. How do the sellers here even keep up with what volumes what? My condolences to all those here..you have my support!
frank666
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 5:33:29 AM

I also think that Marvel has way too titles out at moment or to be more exact they have too titles for too few superheroes. I mean they have 4 or 5 Avengers series and about the same amount in X-Men titles, excluding X-Force.

And what really bothers me, as a long time reader, are the sheer amount of heroes who are now Avengers. There was a time where there were two Avengers teams (West-Coast & East-Coast)with each having now 7 members. But now....?

Marvel really need to rethink their strategy because, at the moment,DC is way better.

Then of course the constant No. 1. I think F4 is now on their third No. 1 in the last 2(?) years. Why? I, at least, don't see the reason.
touchofgrey37
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 2:34:52 PM

Last January, I went to my LCS looking forward to absolutely nothing, and you know what? Two doors down from the place I subscribe at, was a brand spanking new Alcoholics Anonymous rehabilitation center. I took it as a sign.

You see, in my experience, alcoholics are people with addictive personalities. They start out as folks who drink to take the edge off a hard day. Then they drink to forget. Then they drink because it’s the only thing that feels good anymore. Where am I going with this? I am an addict. I’m addicted to comic books and damn it, I’ve only been getting the bad (banned), lately.

Going back to the epiphany seeing that AA center next to my comic shop gave me for a moment, it was then that I decided that I was done buying comics out of habit. I'd read an article around that time about not buying comics because they have your favorite characters in them when you don’t like the story or the way the characters are being handled. About not buying comics just because you’re so used to buying the series that you can’t remember a time when you weren’t buying it. About speaking to the comic companies with your dollar instead of your angry, ranting blog posts. So that’s what I did. Mostly.

So, at this moment in time, I'm following 13 DC titles (6 are minis or cancelled), 8 Vertigo titles (4 minis/ending), 10 Marvel titles (1 ending), 10 Image titles, and three titles from assorted publishers.

That really sort of puts this whole thing in a new perspective, for me. You see, these books? I truly enjoy. Because they hit that comics sweet spot by weaving decent to excellent art, interesting writing, compelling story arcs, and relatable characters into every issue. I’m reading them because they’re good comics. And you know what? My list should be a lot longer, especially from DC. Comics should be good.

DC has the potential for good comics at their fingertips, but they refuse to utilize the resources they have. Even with the reboot shenanigans, they’re still a widely respected comic company. Instead of reaching out to new talent that already have devoted fanbases that would follow that talent anywhere, they snap up writers and artists that haven’t been relevant for over a decade, and even then they were only relevant because people enjoyed complaining about them. I think we all know who I’m talking about.

Marvel, on the other hand, has a case of first issue fever. They're not actually rebooting anything so much as they're giving new characters and concepts the chance to succeed or fail without having them tie too closely with pre-existing characters and concepts. They're doing this specifically to draw in new readers, and from what I've seen, it's working.

Like the new Ms. Marvel and Ghost Rider books, for example. Ms. Marvel has already proven itself to be a good idea, with the first issue sold out completely at a distributor level and almost completely sold out at a retailer level, at least in my area. I'm pulling it at my LCS, after years upon years of either disliking Carol Danvers, or just not caring about her. I'm a Ms. Marvel reader for the first time in the 20 years I've been reading comics, because Marvel took a chance. Ghost Rider...I don't know. I haven't ever read any Ghost Rider stuff, but the new series that's coming out soon, I may try that. They're taking chances again, putting new characters in familiar names and hoping for the best. Whether this tactic will hold up in the long run is uncertain, but it seems to be working for now. So long as the titles I'm picking up continue to interest me, I won't complain about their wanting to branch out a bit from the old formula.

Desperately seeking:

Birds of Prey v1 #8
Catwoman v2 #51
Harley Quinn v1: 7, 9, 10, 13, 14, 22
New Teen Titans v1 #2
Saga #4
rook68
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 4:07:44 PM

I agree with Frank. Too many Xmen and Avenger titles and too many Avengers and I am a huge fan. Now there is Xmen/Avengers, lol. I won't bag on Uncanny Avengers though because I actually love what Remender is doing there. The things I will say is following any big events is tough not only for Marvel but for DC as well. To buy every single issue of a story is costly. You could always buy the trade afterwards but you have to wait for months after the event. Secondly, what is Shang Chi Master of Kung Fu doing on the Avengers? Secret Avengers but still an Avenger. Secret Avengers is a bad copy of Xmen's X Force. I get they want to up his stature as a superhero but he could be better served in his own title like what they are doing in Hawkeye or Daredevil. I can really get into making older underused characters fresh and new. But repackaging familiar characters over and over is lame. Can Wolverine really be on every team? Every where? And in every issue? I guess so.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

ukblueky
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:13:31 AM

As I write this I have zero Marvel books on my monthly pull list. I will occasionally pick up Superior Spider-Man but I never wanted to be stuck buying it. With Marvel re launching some of my favorite heroes I guess Marvel will be getting a copy of dollars from me. Amazing Spider-Man, Moon Knight, and possibly Ghost Rider (I haven't forgotten the last mess Marvel made of this character with the female Ghost Rider).