Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » TV » DC Universe
barney
Sunday, June 02, 2019 9:15:28 AM
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
Anybody here watching the DC Universe shows?
Titans, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, Young Justice
What are your thoughts?
monidaw1
Sunday, June 02, 2019 5:59:06 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I'm in the let them get a years worth out then subscribe for 1 month to binge a years worth at a time frame of mind. It worked great for Netflix last January. Caught everything Marvel had out including both seasons of Punisher, that bird in a box movie, first 7 seasons of Walking Dead and a bunch of other stuff and with the Free 30 day trial cancelled on day 29 it was all free. I've got more e-mails ready for next year. Dancing I figure eventually there are going to be at least a dozen different streaming places hiding everything I want to see so they'll all get 1 month subscriptions at a time to binge. Hopefully most offer free trials or someone comes along and consolidates the industry into one place to pay and play for everything.
Thundercron
Monday, June 03, 2019 10:01:25 AM
Shop at My Store
monidaw1 wrote:
I'm in the let them get a years worth out then subscribe for 1 month to binge a years worth at a time frame of mind. It worked great for Netflix last January. Caught everything Marvel had out including both seasons of Punisher, that bird in a box movie, first 7 seasons of Walking Dead and a bunch of other stuff and with the Free 30 day trial cancelled on day 29 it was all free. I've got more e-mails ready for next year. Dancing I figure eventually there are going to be at least a dozen different streaming places hiding everything I want to see so they'll all get 1 month subscriptions at a time to binge. Hopefully most offer free trials or someone comes along and consolidates the industry into one place to pay and play for everything.

And if everyone followed this plan, there would be no streaming services anywhere, ever. Applause
lcfrick
Monday, June 03, 2019 12:32:45 PM
Groups: Member
Thundercron wrote:
monidaw1 wrote:

And if everyone followed this plan, there would be no streaming services anywhere, ever. Applause

Thankfully most people are much too lazy to put in the amount of effort it takes to be cheap (I know that from personal experience).

I get value for my money out of Netflix every month, so it's not worth the hassle to do 30 day trials.

Other subscription series, though, like CBS All Access (Discovery is garbage, but Picard should be worth checking out) and Disney+ when it comes out, won't have enough content to justify that, so I'll be perfectly happy doing a free trial followed by a month or two to watch everything I want to watch and then unsubscribing.

Honestly, nothing I've seen on DC Universe has really grabbed me to convince me to sub for a month. As much as I love Dick Grayson, I've never been overly tempted to collect or read Teen Titans/Titans. Maybe when the animated Harley Quinn comes out I'll sub for a month and check those two out.
Thundercron
Monday, June 03, 2019 1:06:07 PM
Shop at My Store
Reading through this thread, it just occurred to me that releasing a whole season of a show all at once is counterproductive to courting longtime subscribers. Interesting that the most successful tv show in years (Game of Thrones) did not rely on the "binge it now" model to succeed. Maybe the streaming services should take note.
lcfrick
Monday, June 03, 2019 2:36:51 PM
Thundercron wrote:
Reading through this thread, it just occurred to me that releasing a whole season of a show all at once is counterproductive to courting longtime subscribers. Interesting that the most successful tv show in years (Game of Thrones) did not rely on the "binge it now" model to succeed. Maybe the streaming services should take note.

I've honestly started taking the binge approach for everything I watch. (I even waited on GoT, I'll be getting HBO Go for a month or two to watch the entire series.)

The last two years I just left every episode of Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow on my DVR until the entire season has finished up and I can just watch the entire run in a few days/couple of weeks.

I switched from watching every week once I realized that I started watching Arrow after their 2 month break and I realized they had a bunch of references to minor things that had happened earlier in the season which I had absolutely no recollection of (plus some major ones too).

Though it's not all bad news, because I thought this season of Supergirl was complete garbage and if I watching episode by episode, I would have just not bothered to go beyond episode 3. Instead, because I waited until all of the episodes were on my DVR, I was able to skip through the episodes so that I got the gist of what was going on and it ended up getting really good around episode 16 (when Lex Luthor was introduced) and watched the rest of the season at normal speed.
Xylob
Monday, June 03, 2019 7:30:19 PM
Thundercron wrote:
RInteresting that the most successful tv show in years (Game of Thrones) did not rely on the "binge it now" model to succeed. Maybe the streaming services should take note.
I literally just got done cancelling my 1 week of free HBO 'trial' that I only added to Hulu so I could binge the latest season of GoT.

Anywhooooo....
As far as the DC streaming service goes, they don't have enough yet for me to pull the trigger.
It would be a different story if I didn't already own much of their existing content on BluRay & DVD.
Regardless, Warner Bros. is launching their own streaming service later this year and has already started yanking their content from Netflix and other services.
I'll wait for them to offer a WB/DC bundle.
Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...
monidaw1
Tuesday, June 04, 2019 7:51:03 AM
Shop at My Store
It may be cheap but I grew up when TV was free including the entire NFL season and playoffs for watching assuming the stadium sold out. I'm not going to buy every season of every TV show to watch at home and I'm not subscribing to 12 different services to watch monthly as content comes out slowly and with erratic release dates. Even in the near future it looks like you can't subscribe to even one and get all of their content as in this case where a good chunk of the MCU and Star Wars is headed back to Netflix in the next 10 years as an exclusive.
https://www.cbr.com/marvel-disney-films-netflix-return/

At some point the market is going to say enough and demand a one stop view all option again. It might be as a deluxe type package like the everything bundles cable and early dish services used to offer.

I've got so many free streaming services right now that I can find a movie to watch every night, sometimes newer ones, sometimes ones I missed like Fisher King Sunday night, sometimes one's I haven't seen in a while like Jerry Maguire last night. Imdb, Crackle, Tubi, CW Speed, etc.

I'm not up on the tech side of this but I have someone who said they were bringing me Doom Patrol on a stick thing to watch once it finishes. Apparently I'm supposed to be able to plug the stick thing into my PS3 and watch somehow. Apparently sharing stick things is thing now.

This whole breaking up and scattering stuff about is frustrating unwanted. Imagine if CCL broke up and said you now had to subscribe to a different yearly database for each publisher!!!! Imagine comic publishers doing the same thing and saying instead of one order from Diamond a week we now have to have 15 orders a week with 15 separate shipping charges, minimum's and paperwork to get new material in from 15 different publishers?
monidaw1
Tuesday, June 04, 2019 9:28:22 AM
Shop at My Store
Quote:
And if everyone followed this plan, there would be no streaming services anywhere, ever.

I would actually think most comic book lovers who buy new books from their local stores or singular online supplier would feel the same way and hope this nonsense of breaking up content and scattering about ends.

Picture this, Marvel and Disney suddenly pull their comics and say you can now only get them exclusively from the Marvel and Disney stores, but neither of the two have all of both available. That's exactly what they're doing right now taking the content to Hulu and Disney as separate locations with neither having all of both and both requiring separate subscriptions and hassle to go to to pick up.

Now imagine Warner Brothers doing the same thing and pulling their content to exclusive DC comic stores requiring yet another subscription.

Now you find yourself driving to 4 different stores in possibly different towns now to get what you used to pick up at just the one comic store.

Imagine if this continues, and Image, Dark Horse, IDW, Dynamite and Valiant follow the example.

Now the time you had for reading is lost in driving time, some you have to drop entirely because the one store doesn't have enough titles to justify the trip more than once a year during a sale and then you have to hope the content is still there during the sale to bulk buy.

The loss of revenue now may also mean the original comic store can't afford to shelf stock every title from Zenescope that you used to pick up sporadically on impulse.

It's a Lose-Lose situation if left unchecked.

If the additional content the individual stores are now providing is good enough to justify offering there then it should have also been good enough to offer thru the original outlet.

It's a pure money grab spitting in the face of the consumer who isn't rich denying them the chance to enjoy programming they want to see.

Shame on You
lcfrick
Tuesday, June 04, 2019 11:27:43 AM
Streaming services are in that weird nebulous area between competition and monopoly.

On one hand it's more convenient to be able to have one place to get all of your streaming, but then that creates a monopoly. On the other hand it's much more inconvenient to have a bazillion different streaming services with one thing you want to watch.

I think that most streaming services expect you to remain subscribed 100% of the time as they release new content. However I think the market has clearly moved to a point where people have no reason to subscribe all the time to everything they want, but to just do it on a month by month basis when content they want to watch is out.

There's something slightly similar going on in the PC video game market right now with Epic Games creating their own store to compete with Valve/Steam.

However their strategy is, rather than trying to compete with Steam, to buy up games and make them exclusive to their store which forces people to buy from their store if they want that game.

This is all instead of offering basic functionality to their launcher... like achievements, tracking time played, wishlist, or A SHOPPING CART.

So basically Epic Games isn't trying to compete with Steam, they're trying to push them out of the market so they can have their own monopoly.
Thundercron
Tuesday, June 04, 2019 1:18:24 PM
Shop at My Store
I think what's happening here is people are just cheap, and expect things for little or no money (kind of like the back issue comic market). It's a growing societal trend across the board. To me, all these streaming services are no different than all the different premium cable channels offered on top of basic cable back in the day. HBO, Showtime, Cinemax--you had to pay. And even back then it was like fifteen bucks per channel. And the content then was rigid and limited (one channel, one program viewed at a time). Compare that with Netflix, for example, and the ability to watch any of their offerings at any time, and for pretty much half the price.

Nobody complained about "too many" premium cable channels back then. You just paid for what you wanted and could afford, and were happy with that. Now? "There's too many streaming services." "I can't afford this!" Seriously? You can't plunk down the equivalent of two fancy Starbucks coffees in exchange for hours and hours and hours of on demand, mobile entertainment? Really?

Sorry for the rant. I just think everyone in this country acts way too coddled and entitled.
monidaw1
Thursday, June 06, 2019 6:45:28 PM
Shop at My Store
https://www.newsarama.com/45474-dc-universe-streaming-service-being-reevaluated-by-at-t-warner-media-report.html?fbclid=IwAR1stnH4zcj7zm2R8r313YSipS7wFz0MiU6ihXWh7jexfXaarYk_hIFgP8s

It looks like DC's on the way out anyway maybe coming back in a consolidated warner bros service later in 2019.

Quote:
I think what's happening here is people are just cheap, and expect things for little or no money

I expect them to come out and have commercial interruptions so the money is paid in advertising dollars.

Quote:
Nobody complained about "too many" premium cable channels back then. You just paid for what you wanted and could afford, and were happy with that. Now?

Actually I never even knew anyone who could afford to get all of them and for long chunks of time we would have to pick only one if we could afford that for a while.

Quote:
You can't plunk down the equivalent of two fancy Starbucks coffees in exchange for hours and hours and hours of on demand, mobile entertainment? Really?

There's not hours and hours on any one of them I want to see. It's more like a couple on this, a couple on that and in this area many of my customers I talk to about it can't even do any of them since internet connection is so bad or non existent. Even if they could afford the cost of a firestick, they may not have the extra $60 for an internet connection from Century Link if it's even available, another $9.99 a month for the modem thing that disperses it around the building if you don't buy it outright, a couple Starbucks, for this one, a couple Starbucks for that one, a couple more Starbucks for the next, so forth and repeat.

I don't even have a vehicle because I don't want to go anywhere bad enough to want to pay the insurance, tags, inspection and upkeep and car payment. I've got other essentials that require the funding like internet for one and now even CCL is threatening to make their product useless to large chunks of the country that have crappy internet or none by doing away with the crappy software.

It must be nice to have options and extra money. Many people don't and the continued diversification is causing many of us to have to do without. Even if I could fund a dozen streaming monthly contracts, how in the hell am I supposed to surf that many each night looking for something to watch? I waste a good chunk of the limited time I have already just trying to find something to watch on the free one's so that by the time I select something I'm frequently staying up past my bedtime just to finish it.

MoonKnight1
Friday, June 07, 2019 3:28:30 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I remember a time where you only got 3 or 4 channels, if you were lucky. But they were free. Sure you had to buy the 14" black and white television, invest in bunny ears or fashion an antenna out of a coat hanger and soda cans and throw down for the electricity to power the thing. But it was basically free and if you wanted to watch one of the dozen and a half shows that came on then you would have to be sitting in front of the boob tube when they came on. If two shows that you like came on at the same time you would have to decide which one to watch. Unless you had one of them newfangled doohickeys like a VHS recorder that you could tape it with and then watch it later hoping that some numbskull in your family didn't accidentally Angry erase over four episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation and replace them hours upon hours of All My Children...Wall

Enough about my childhood. Stupid younger brothers and sisters...Phbbbbt Rolling Eyes

I am not too happy about the Balkanization of television.I would love to watch Doom Patrol. or Star Trek Discovery, or The Mandalorian. But I don't want to have to subscribe to a half dozen streaming services just so I can watch one or two shows from each.

I just got Amazon for free with my new Verizon package. That service stinks. I have watched The Tick seasons one and two (fantastic by the way) and if I weren't getting it for free I would totally cancel it. The selection isn't bad but the reception is horrible. When you start a show, or restart after pausing, it pixelizes for a minute or two before clearing up. At first I though I might be going blind. If you miss something and try to rewind you need to guess where you are rewinding to because it does not show you. It constantly loses connection and you have to restart whatever you are watching. That's not a problem with anything else I use, just Amazon.

There is no way I would pay for that service. When my free subscription is up I will not renew.

I do like that there is diversity and a wealth of options but I do long for some type of one-stop shop where you can just get the shows you want for one price. Daydreaming

Time. That;s another factor. I can barely keep up with shows I want to watch now and all I have is cable. If I got several streaming services when would I use them? Sleepy

Howie's Saying of the Week

The people I distrust most are those who want to improve our lives but have only one course of action in mind - Frank Herbert

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
barney
Sunday, June 09, 2019 11:18:48 AM
Well this turned into a big debate on streaming services. I guess I'm not as cheap as most people, although I do agree that a bundled service would be much better, however it is what it is for now.
And I know from recent news this week specifically the future of the DC streaming service might be in doubt (partially I'm assuming because of the lack of subscribers, and also the fact that TimeWarner is launching their own service at some point).
Anyway since apparently no one has seen these shows (a shame in it self). there actually pretty good.

Titans: well not expecting much from the first images and reports from this show it was actually pretty good. It was a rather dark and violent show (which i don't really associate with the Titans) it worked well here.

Young Justice: Outsiders: If you loved the Young Justice show you'll love this.

Doom Patrol: In my opinion one of the best shows on Television period, just so strange and bizarre its hard to explain, it borrows heavily from the Grant Morrison run. Main antagonist is Mr. Nobody, with appearances by Flex Mentallo, Danny the Street, Beard Hunter and Animal-Vegetable-Minaral Man to name a few.

Swamp Thing: Yes I know the show has already been cancelled, not however because of the quality of the program but due to financial problems (and with few subscibers, that might be what happens more and more often and that's a shame). Even though knowing it's not going to have a decent ending I'm going to stick with it, the first wo episodes were great. It has real horror vibe to it and I feel they really got the character right.

And yes I admit they really could use more content but I am enjoying what they do have and looking forward what they have coming up.
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, June 11, 2019 1:58:44 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
To me it's not so much about the cost of the service, it's the free time I have to use the service. It doesn't seem to be that expensive really, but if I pay for it and then rarely use it then it's not really worth it.

Having said that...

You had me at Doom Patrol. Now you say that Flex Mentallo appears? Mr. Nobody? Danny the Street? I think I'm going to have to subscribe now if only for that show. Drooling

Quick question, is it a computer access only thing or can you view it on a TV set? I do have a "Smart" television that gets YouTube, Netflix, Amazon and several others. I'm wondering if that could pick it up?

Too bad about Swamp Thing. I thought that would be pretty cool if done right. Thing is, they probably already have several shows finished and probably a lot of unused footage. Looks like they shut down production before filming had completed so there won't be a full storyline but if the cast is amenable (and they seem to be) then it could be brought back at some point on another platform.

Howie's Saying of the Week

The people I distrust most are those who want to improve our lives but have only one course of action in mind - Frank Herbert

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations