Welcome Guest Active Topics
lcfrick
Saturday, December 21, 2019 1:16:30 PM
Groups: Member
So has anyone else watched this and if so what did you think of it?

Initially I wasn't impressed, after the first episode I was annoyed they even called it Watchmen, since it appeared to only take place in the Watchmen universe, but otherwise had nothing else to do with it.

Boy, was I wrong.

It looks like Alan Moore had absolutely nothing to do with the show, but it sure felt like he wrote the entire thing.

All the little things that were overlooked or made no sense early in the season comes full circle and made perfect sense at the end. Several little mysteries from the original comics are revealed (and in a satisfying manner too!) And even some nice subtle callbacks to the original comics as well. As a matter of fact I wish I had re-read the TPB before I watched the show.
MoonKnight1
Saturday, December 21, 2019 3:26:36 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
lcfrick wrote:
So has anyone else watched this and if so what did you think of it?

Initially I wasn't impressed, after the first episode I was annoyed they even called it Watchmen, since it appeared to only take place in the Watchmen universe, but otherwise had nothing else to do with it.

Boy, was I wrong.

It looks like Alan Moore had absolutely nothing to do with the show, but it sure felt like he wrote the entire thing.

All the little things that were overlooked or made no sense early in the season comes full circle and made perfect sense at the end. Several little mysteries from the original comics are revealed (and in a satisfying manner too!) And even some nice subtle callbacks to the original comics as well. As a matter of fact I wish I had re-read the TPB before I watched the show.

Thanks for starting this thread. I was close to doing it but am happy that someone else did it first. Big Hug

I have been watching the Watchmen and my thoughts mirror Big Grin yours. Haven't finished it yet, still 2 shows to go but I find it thoroughly enjoyable for many different reasons.

For one thing, I am happy that it follows the events in the comics rather than the movie. Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie but there were some things about it that I didn't like. Particularly how they changed the ending. You know, the whole squid creature and stuff?

Another thing I liked was how each episode focused on a certain character. Gave them backstory and explained motivations. Just like the comic did. Also, just like the comic, there are recurring images/themes appearing throughout the show along the lines of the smiley face button. Very much an homage to the comics.

I also love how some characters from the comics might not have exactly showed up in person but their presence was felt, Rorshach for one. Comedian for another.

And yes, at first I was doubtful that this took place in the Watchmen Universe but after a while it became clear that it was in fact set in that continuity. There were several characters that appeared in the comics that also showed up in the series. A few I recognized immediately and others I was surprised by.

Very well done show. I always thought that the best way to have done the comic book series was in this fashion.

Haven't seen the finale yet, couple shows to go. Don't think I'll be disappointed.

Howie's Saying of the Week

The truth hurts doesn't it. Oh sure, maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts - Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen)

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
lcfrick
Monday, December 23, 2019 10:06:49 AM
Groups: Member
I think my favorite part of the show was the reveal of Hooded Justice.

When a mystery like that has been around for so long with no resolution, it's nearly impossible to live up to imagination of people with the actual reveal, but the show absolutely positively managed to surpass even the most interesting possible scenario I could have imagined for that reveal.

One mildly interesting thing I was thinking about. This doesn't take place in the same universe as the Doomsday Clock (since Veidt's scheme to create world peace was discovered because of Rorshach's journal), while in this one his journal is apparently written off, discredited, or redacted.

And I definitely agree with you that I'm glad they went with the giant squid ending on the comic too.
MoonKnight1
Friday, January 24, 2020 1:03:40 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Finished it last month. Very solid.

The Hooded Justice reveal was surprising but made sense. The Dr, Manhattan reveal was more surprising but I thought that there was something strange going on with a certain character...Winking don't want to give anything away.

Jeremy Irons as Old Man Ozymandias was hilarious and right on point. Jean Smart as Laurie Blake (Silk Spectre) was an inspired choice.

It certainly set the stage for a Season 2 but unfortunately that does not seem likely.

Howie's Saying of the Week

The truth hurts doesn't it. Oh sure, maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts - Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen)

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations