Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Movies » Star Wars - "Why is it that...?"
MoonKnight1
Saturday, September 18, 2021 4:15:13 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Star Wars: Why is it that...? is exactly what it sounds like.

I love Star Wars and the franchise even through it's ups and downs but there were always these questions that I had. Such as:

Why is it that -

In Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi they showed that Rey was an adept swimmer despite the fact that she grew up on a desert planet without any water. When and how did she learn to swim? The Force? In between scenes? Silly

Why is it that -

In Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope the very first scene shows R2-D2 and C-3PO heading towards Tatooine in an escape pod. The Star Destroyer scans it for life forms and upon finding none they let it go. Later, when the Millennium Falcon is tractor beamed into the Death Star the Stormtroopers search the ship and find no one because they are hidden under the floorboards. Why didn't they "scan for lifeforms"? Time Out

Why is it that -

In Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace while on the Trade Federation blockade ship in the first scene of the movie Qui Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi were set upon by Destroyer Droids. They used "Force Speed" to run away as fast as the Flash. Seemed like a useful ability that they never used again. Could have come in handy in more situations that I can think of but how about when they were fighting Darth Maul? or the Battle of Geonosis? Or when Obi Wan went up against Jango Fett? Or? Or? Confused

Like I said, love the Galaxy and part of that is tough love!

What do you think? Anyone else got some "Why is it that...?" relating to Star Wars? Call Me

Howie's Quote of the Week

You better watch what you say, You better watch what you do to me, Don't get carried away - Tom Petty

My eBay Store Hall Liquidations
lcfrick
Saturday, September 18, 2021 11:22:25 PM
Groups: Member
MoonKnight1 wrote:
Why is it that -

In Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope the very first scene shows R2-D2 and C-3PO heading towards Tatooine in an escape pod. The Star Destroyer scans it for life forms and upon finding none they let it go. Later, when the Millennium Falcon is tractor beamed into the Death Star the Stormtroopers search the ship and find no one because they are hidden under the floorboards. Why didn't they "scan for lifeforms"? Time Out

This one I actually do have a reasonable explanation for!

Because Han uses his smuggling compartments for everyone to hide, it's reasonable to assume that they would be shielded from scanning (Han even comments that he never expected to be smuggling himself). It's just that usually they only shield against scans which look for the kind of cargo that he smuggles and it's likely that they'd also be good at shielding against lifeform scans as well (which the Death Star likely did and came up with nothing).

Because the Empire assumes that it's a smuggling ship, they send in a scanning crew (the people that Han/Luke/Chewie beat up and them imitate to lure the Stormtroopers into the Falcon) with most sensitive equipment which could penetrate the normal smuggling compartment scanning, finding things that a normal lifeform scan wouldn't pick up.

They likely didn't believe the story that the crew bailed immediately after leaving Tatooine, but they also didn't believe the crew was still on the ship. They probably were just expecting to find smuggled goods which would be confiscated and even if they did find someone, they'd immediately surrender given the enormity of their situation.