Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Comic Books » Chromium Cover Books
RaymondJohn
Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:38:12 PM
Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member
Location: Shelby Township, Michigan
Joined: 2/24/2007 | Posts: 497 | Points: 1,556
Tonight, looking for something to read,I decided to go through
one of my Short Boxes that I use for my 'unlisted' books and
came across a set of four issues of Sabre-Tooth and figured
what the heck..., never read them before so pulled them out and
tucked between this series was a Chromium Cover, Sabre-Tooth Special. This is the only Chromium Cover Book that I own since I really never
collected anything in the 90's. Afraid to mar or finger-print it up, I put it back as careful as I could.

Now, I've read a few posts here where some people commented pretty
negatively on 'the whole 90's thing with the Foil and Chromium Covers and
so on....' and from those comments or posts, I realize that the publishers must have really went over-board producing books with those types of covers, but, I have to say...., I was pretty impressed with it,
I guess never having really had one in my hands before.....

Anyways..., made me wonder what anyone else thought about these 'types'
of covers and why
....

Two Rules For Success:
Rule Number One: Never Tell All You Know....
--Raymond John
KingZombie
Sunday, September 14, 2008 11:41:30 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member
Joined: 4/14/2007 | Posts: 4,543 | Points: 90,059
I think people resented them because they were used to jack up the prices of books. You didn't always have a chromium cover and a regular cover of the same issue to choose from. But yeah, they were a gimmick but at the same time, they were slick looking.
infinitespeech
Monday, September 15, 2008 12:21:53 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member
Location: NY
Joined: 6/1/2008 | Posts: 5,781 | Points: 17,343
KingZombie wrote:
I think people resented them because they were used to jack up the prices of books. You didn't always have a chromium cover and a regular cover of the same issue to choose from. But yeah, they were a gimmick but at the same time, they were slick looking.


to add to that...almost EVERY SINGLE BOOK NO MATTER THE PUBLISHER was coming out with a chromium-polybagged-hologram-stick of bubble gum-comic every day! It got to the point where it was just ridiculous! There was probably an Archie hologram variant issue somewhere. I was kind of ticked that the Age Of Apocalypse Alpha/Omega books had the chromium covers



If it's the 4 issue Sabretooth series by Tex then it's a good one! I just completed that series for the 2nd time good story
bovard
Monday, September 15, 2008 12:22:54 AM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member
Location: Earth
Joined: 6/18/2007 | Posts: 2,795 | Points: 26,106
Yeah, some of the chromium and foil covers were just a way to try and sell more comics. IMO, not that different a strategy than the current rut of variant covers.

Don't get me wrong, certain variants, and chrome covers, I really like, but many are just overdone.

A couple of my favs in chromium are the Aphrodite IX #1 Dynamic Forces Cover, and Witchblade #60 - they were just really cool!
comicscastle
Monday, September 15, 2008 12:34:38 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member
Location: New Jersey
Joined: 1/30/2008 | Posts: 15,590 | Points: 436,668
infinitespeech wrote:
KingZombie wrote:
I think people resented them because they were used to jack up the prices of books. You didn't always have a chromium cover and a regular cover of the same issue to choose from. But yeah, they were a gimmick but at the same time, they were slick looking.


to add to that...almost EVERY SINGLE BOOK NO MATTER THE PUBLISHER was coming out with a chromium-polybagged-hologram-stick of bubble gum-comic every day! It got to the point where it was just ridiculous! There was probably an Archie hologram variant issue somewhere. I was kind of ticked that the Age Of Apocalypse Alpha/Omega books had the chromium covers



If it's the 4 issue Sabretooth series by Tex then it's a good one! I just completed that series for the 2nd time good story


The closest I can think of was the Archie meets Punisher with the die-cut cover. Of course that was on the Marvel version, the Archie version was a regular cover.


The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-AKA Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Comic Cellar--Hall of Heroes--Swifty's Olde Tyme Comic Shoppe


infinitespeech
Monday, September 15, 2008 12:45:20 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member
Location: NY
Joined: 6/1/2008 | Posts: 5,781 | Points: 17,343
comicscastle wrote:
infinitespeech wrote:
KingZombie wrote:
I think people resented them because they were used to jack up the prices of books. You didn't always have a chromium cover and a regular cover of the same issue to choose from. But yeah, they were a gimmick but at the same time, they were slick looking.


to add to that...almost EVERY SINGLE BOOK NO MATTER THE PUBLISHER was coming out with a chromium-polybagged-hologram-stick of bubble gum-comic every day! It got to the point where it was just ridiculous! There was probably an Archie hologram variant issue somewhere. I was kind of ticked that the Age Of Apocalypse Alpha/Omega books had the chromium covers



If it's the 4 issue Sabretooth series by Tex then it's a good one! I just completed that series for the 2nd time good story


The closest I can think of was the Archie meets Punisher with the die-cut cover. Of course that was on the Marvel version, the Archie version was a regular cover.


I'm so upset this was even and idea that was approved by someone lol I actually never heard about it or if I did I thought it was a joke thanks CC
viper1980
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:38:00 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Joined: 6/3/2007 | Posts: 1,238 | Points: 3,855
I agree that the gimmick thing was annoying but it also produced some nice looking covers...the Fatal Attractions books were particularly nice...the AoA Prime book looked like crap cause the artist was terrible...
infinitespeech
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:46:07 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member
Location: NY
Joined: 6/1/2008 | Posts: 5,781 | Points: 17,343
viper1980 wrote:
...the AoA Prime book looked like crap cause the artist was terrible...


Who was that guy??? Regardless the book flew off the shelves because of the great story AND you had guys buying 5 to 10 copies of the chromium/polybagged books because they thought the books were going to open the flood gates to untold riches...idiots Rolling Eyes
viper1980
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 1:00:55 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Joined: 6/3/2007 | Posts: 1,238 | Points: 3,855
infinitespeech wrote:
viper1980 wrote:
...the AoA Prime book looked like crap cause the artist was terrible...


Who was that guy??? Regardless the book flew off the shelves because of the great story AND you had guys buying 5 to 10 copies of the chromium/polybagged books because they thought the books were going to open the flood gates to untold riches...idiots Rolling Eyes


He certainly wasn't Jim Lee lol...and the story was good, but man, that art was horrible...

The Generation X book had a great chromium cover I thought
MCF
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:42:07 AM
Rank: Eternal
Groups: Beta, Member
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Joined: 1/5/2007 | Posts: 475 | Points: 116,849
Regarding X-Men: Prime, wasn't the cover artist Bryan Hitch? And the cover for X-Men: Alpha was by Joe Mad. I thought they were pretty good. Happy

Personally speaking, I loved chromium covers and were cover enhancements I had no problems paying $3.50 for (which was the price most of them fetched back in the day). Along with the 3D holograms seen in the 30th anniversary Spider-Man and X-Men books, this is a cover enhancement I wouldn't mind seeing a return.

Examples of good chromium covers that used the metallic sheen to good effect are X-O Manowar # 0, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter # 1, and Superman (Vol 2) # 82.
infinitespeech
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:21:23 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member
Location: NY
Joined: 6/1/2008 | Posts: 5,781 | Points: 17,343
MCF wrote:
Regarding X-Men: Prime, wasn't the cover artist Bryan Hitch? And the cover for X-Men: Alpha was by Joe Mad. I thought they were pretty good. Happy

Personally speaking, I loved chromium covers and were cover enhancements I had no problems paying $3.50 for (which was the price most of them fetched back in the day). Along with the 3D holograms seen in the 30th anniversary Spider-Man and X-Men books, this is a cover enhancement I wouldn't mind seeing a return.

Examples of good chromium covers that used the metallic sheen to good effect are X-O Manowar # 0, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter # 1, and Superman (Vol 2) # 82.


It wasn't one of Hitch's better covers if it was lol...now some of the metallic-hologram-enhanced covers did look good, however it was just the flood of books with these covers got to be a bit much for a couple of years. Some of the titles gave you an option if you wanted the 'enhancement' or not and that was cool...but others forced you to get the higher priced book. Though the Turok one is an example of A good book with a good cover and it wasn't done for the first 12 issues of the title

I own quite a few of these enhanced books and in the beginning i got swept up but by the third week (and it could have been that I was working in a comic store part time) I was just soooooo sick of seeing them from every publisher who jumped on the bandwagon...that may actually be what upset me more

viper1980
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 3:48:09 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Joined: 6/3/2007 | Posts: 1,238 | Points: 3,855
whoever it was it was garbage, plain and simple...worst cover ive seen maybe ever...and as for chromium/gimmick covers, while there was a time that yes, they were way over used, it still produced some nice looking covers...and ultimately to me, that's what i'm looking for
from_seattle
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:45:14 PM
Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member
Location: western Washington state
Joined: 4/29/2007 | Posts: 147 | Points: 432
What about my 3 favorite gimmick covers:

Sleepwalker #19 you could punch out the cover and have a mask of Sleepwalder

Force Works #1 with fold-out cover (bought 2 copies in a quarter bin just so I could unfold one of them)

and

Mighty Magnor #1 (Malibu Comics) This cover was awesome because it was like a pop-up book. Really, really cool. Has anyone else done this? There is even a kid being consoled by his friends on the cover because his sister ruined his mint copy by removing the adhesive so it would pop-up.
BurningDoom
Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:40:46 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, TV Host
Location: Redding, CA
Joined: 1/5/2007 | Posts: 12,826 | Points: 61,211
I love special covers! I love chromium covers, hologram covers, and foil covers! My collection specializes in them. I most all the ones named in this thread, and if comic companies started churning them out again I'd be all over it.

-Nate-
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
ntkeith
Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:03:00 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Guru, Member
Location: Denver, CO
Joined: 4/16/2007 | Posts: 1,750 | Points: 146,231
Yes, X-Men Prime was terrible art, I never liked that artist, every person looked like the missing link. Maybe they should dig him up for Marvel Apes?

I thought the best Chrominum Covers were the Marvel Collectible Classics: X-Men, where they reprinted 6 key issues. I think they were a higher grade of crominum, they just looked better and were not as heavy.

And my vote is that today we are repating the sins of the past. I bet there is less than 5 books that have more covers than Secret Invasion #1, the only one I can think of was Gen 13 (Vol 2) Issue #1.
You've heard the legend, now see it come to life! I Want More Comics
MCF
Friday, September 19, 2008 1:33:29 AM
Rank: Eternal
Groups: Beta, Member
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Joined: 1/5/2007 | Posts: 475 | Points: 116,849
from_seattle wrote:
What about my 3 favorite gimmick covers:

Sleepwalker #19 you could punch out the cover and have a mask of Sleepwalder

Force Works #1 with fold-out cover (bought 2 copies in a quarter bin just so I could unfold one of them)

and

Mighty Magnor #1 (Malibu Comics) This cover was awesome because it was like a pop-up book. Really, really cool. Has anyone else done this? There is even a kid being consoled by his friends on the cover because his sister ruined his mint copy by removing the adhesive so it would pop-up.


What the? These are really interesting gimmicks! Will definitely be picking them up the next time I shop for back issues!

Thanks!! Big Grin
MCF
Friday, September 19, 2008 1:36:32 AM
Rank: Eternal
Groups: Beta, Member
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Joined: 1/5/2007 | Posts: 475 | Points: 116,849
infinitespeech wrote:
It wasn't one of Hitch's better covers if it was lol...now some of the metallic-hologram-enhanced covers did look good, however it was just the flood of books with these covers got to be a bit much for a couple of years. Some of the titles gave you an option if you wanted the 'enhancement' or not and that was cool...but others forced you to get the higher priced book. Though the Turok one is an example of A good book with a good cover and it wasn't done for the first 12 issues of the title

I own quite a few of these enhanced books and in the beginning i got swept up but by the third week (and it could have been that I was working in a comic store part time) I was just soooooo sick of seeing them from every publisher who jumped on the bandwagon...that may actually be what upset me more


I do agree that the glut of enhanced covers during the '90s really killed the uniqueness of these covers. Did we need arbitrary cover enhancements for no good reasons on comics like Brigade # 2 or CyberForce # 4?

Fortunately the crazed has died down... the last comic with a cover enhancement that I can remember picking up was Superman (Vol 2) # 166. Did anybody pick up enhanced covers recently? (limited edition foil/leather Avatar covers notwithstanding)
viper1980
Friday, September 19, 2008 2:06:45 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Joined: 6/3/2007 | Posts: 1,238 | Points: 3,855
for me Wolverine #50 with the die cut cover...now that was a slick cover
BurningDoom
Friday, September 19, 2008 3:20:29 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, TV Host
Location: Redding, CA
Joined: 1/5/2007 | Posts: 12,826 | Points: 61,211
There was a lot of useless ones, but then there were a lot of really cool ones too like:

-X-Men: Alpha, Omega, and Prime Chromium Covers
-X-Men: Fatal Attractions Hologram Covers
-Spider-Man: 30th Anniversary Hologram Covers
-Superman #82 Chromium (Return of Superman)
-Batman #500 Double & Foil Cover (Knightfall Finale, and 1st appearance of "Azrael Batman")
-Green Lantern #50 Glow-In-The-Dark Cover

I could go on, but I really liked these "gimmicks".

-Nate-
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
NilesCable
Friday, September 19, 2008 4:04:36 AM
Rank: Metahuman
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Location: Austria - Europe
Joined: 5/6/2007 | Posts: 163 | Points: 482
There were good and bad gimick covers back then, but the problem was that they overdid them. And as nobody learned from past times, especially Joe Q. and Marvel, they do it now again with flooding the market with variant covers. But as Joe Q. regularly says, as long as the people buy them, they will make them - until the market crashes again.

In the time between those two crazes, I really liked the seldom coming out of variants and bought them, but a few months back I told my lcs to only put one copy of each book I ordered into my box, unless I tell him I want a specific cover. Otherwise, I now give a sh*t about the cover. I already buy around 100 books a month, I cant cash out for another feeled 15 Marvel variants additional, even though my lcs gives them to me for cover price and sometimes even for free. But thats the benefit when you pay around $ 550,- each month for comics.
If live gives you a box of candy - eat them as fast as you can, before somebody else wants some :)
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 pages: [1] 2

Forum Jump

Access

You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.402 seconds.
(0.234 seconds)

All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2015, MidTen Media Inc. P-WIN-IIS02