Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
please grade my book Options
bovard
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 4:36:29 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

KOLLECTOR71 wrote:
Would you be happy if you ordered a NM book and got this?

Inside is great, back is ok - just the top and bottom corner creases have me wondering?

I'm thinking VF- Think

Definately not NM. Some might call it VF-, but even that might be a stretch, I would probably say FN/VF.

Did you ask for a return, or partial refund?

KOLLECTOR71
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 6:35:26 PM

Groups: Member

Thanks guys,

The staples are not rusty, they just have a shadow in the pic, from a slight indention.

And yes I am going to ask for a partial refund or to send the book back.

I can forgive a grade up or down, but that is just way off the mark. I just wanted another opinion before I contacted him. And by the way it wasn't a CCL seller it was from that other place.

Thanks again.
Sam

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
frozilla
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 8:35:31 PM

While we're at it, let me submit one:

(Btw don't worry about the rest of the book, it's -acceptable- but these pics show the key points)

Was graded as 'VF'...

Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
bovard
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 8:39:01 PM

Shop at My Store

frozilla wrote:
While we're at it, let me submit one:

(Btw don't worry about the rest of the book, it's -acceptable- but these pics show the key points)

Was graded as 'VF'...

Can you post one more pic of the overall? It's good to see the individual aspects, but the overall would be helpful too.

frozilla
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 9:02:04 PM

bovard wrote:
frozilla wrote:

Was graded as 'VF'...

Can you post one more pic of the overall? It's good to see the individual aspects, but the overall would be helpful too.

Not sure if you can make out the indentations on both front and back, near the bottom of those pages.

Edit: Crap. The front got cut off at the bottom.

bovard
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 12:26:13 AM

Shop at My Store

frozilla wrote:
bovard wrote:
frozilla wrote:

Was graded as 'VF'...

Not sure if you can make out the indentations on both front and back, near the bottom of those pages.

Edit: Crap. The front got cut off at the bottom.

This is kind of a tough one from the photos. But, given the very minor spine curve, few spine creases, and the slightly overhung cover, I think that puts you at FN/VF. But, when you look at the overall book, it looks pretty nice. Depending on how severe the indentations are, then it could drop you down to FN. But, it's hard to say without the book in hand. Dents and waviness are one of the hardest things to judge from pics, so it's really dificult to say...

frozilla
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 7:14:24 PM

bovard wrote:

This is kind of a tough one from the photos. But, given the very minor spine curve, few spine creases, and the slightly overhung cover, I think that puts you at FN/VF. But, when you look at the overall book, it looks pretty nice. Depending on how severe the indentations are, then it could drop you down to FN. But, it's hard to say without the book in hand. Dents and waviness are one of the hardest things to judge from pics, so it's really dificult to say...

To me, I thought it was quite a major spine roll. I figure there's worse out there but I can't recall anything remotely recently I've seen that bad (as far as the roll itself) - the actual left end of the book sits up 1/4-3/8" off the table when I sit it down. Perhaps the pictures are a bit deceiving as they're really close.

Anyhow, I bought it was VF, I'd guess it's F. Oh well, it wasn't that expensive. I'm working (slowly) on completing that ASM group and don't want to put it in my collection as F - would've taken VF.

bovard
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:02:12 PM

Shop at My Store

frozilla wrote:
bovard wrote:

To me, I thought it was quite a major spine roll. I figure there's worse out there but I can't recall anything remotely recently I've seen that bad (as far as the roll itself) - the actual left end of the book sits up 1/4-3/8" off the table when I sit it down. Perhaps the pictures are a bit deceiving as they're really close.

Anyhow, I bought it was VF, I'd guess it's F. Oh well, it wasn't that expensive. I'm working (slowly) on completing that ASM group and don't want to put it in my collection as F - would've taken VF.

From the pic it looks like a minor roll, but that's sort of beside the point, as even a minor roll drops below VF, and then you add the few creases, etc. You have the book in hand, so you would be able to judge the severity of the roll best.

You could buy this one, if you're looking to complete a High Grade run.

PM me if interested. I'm actually running a pretty good sale as well, and I'm always open to offers.

frozilla
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 8:59:56 PM

Thanks Bovard. I may look more into what you have and see if we can make a package deal.

For the time being, I'll submit a two-fer for the public's opinion:

Subject A:
º
º

and Subject B:
º
º

Input welcomed. I'm just trying to tune my own grade-meter by public consensus. I think I may be being a bit too harsh on grading, but we'll see.

frozilla
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 9:11:16 AM

^bump for please :)

bovard
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 11:08:25 AM

Shop at My Store

I'm thinking VG/FN, or FN, on both the Flash and Iron Man. I've been scratching my head on these, because at first glance they look higher, but with the Flash there is the page toning that can be seen around the edge of the book, and trying to decide exactly how much that affects the grade is tough. The Iron Man also looks nice, and then you start to notice the few lines here and there that move inwards on the cover (upper right), and the lower right corner crease. Books in FN condition usually will have some wear around the spine and edges. A case could be made for that grade as well. If they were my books I would probably grade them VG/FN.

I would like to hear some other opinions on these grades as well, but sometimes the Grade my Book section seems like a ghost town. But, hopefully a few more will chime in.

Thundercron
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 11:26:01 AM

Shop at My Store

I would agree that VG/FN sounds right for the Iron Man due to the bad business going on at the lower corner on the front cover. I think the Flash is much nicer, with the main defects being along the spine. I don't think the page tone is too terrible, but it's hard to tell about the spine creasing from a scan.
CrossbowComics
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 4:22:04 PM

Shop at My Store

I don't see anything that by definition pushes either book below FN, there's enough general wear I'd probably lean toward lower FN or 5.5. The Flash looks like it might have some spotty tanning on the inside edges of the cover which I'd take a bit off for.

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com

frozilla
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 7:27:19 PM

I figured as much. The Iron Man was advertised as VF/NM. The Flash was advertised as F/VF. And today, I received 3 comics, advertised as VF+ and the are AT BEST *F*, with me thinking more like VG/F.

I am really REALLY getting fed up with these sellers way overgrading their comics then pleading ignorance when they're confronted with them. TBH I contacted the Iron Man seller and he has offered a form of 'discount'. That's good but really when I buy a book at a certain grade, I'd like to get what I'm buying instead of having to contact them back and haggle for some recompense.

CrossbowComics
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 9:17:54 PM

Shop at My Store

Well the IM gets dropped to 6.5 just based on the creasing alone, a 1 inch crease is acceptable in FVF but not several. Either the seller didn't look at it or made no effort to grade it. FVF is not unreasonable on the Flash but there's at least one small stain & not disclosing it on a book over FN is playing with fire a bit. The crease with a couple small tears on the top edge is a little much for FVF too. Beyond that I'd need to see the inside edges of the cover, sometimes it gets a bit spotty & ugly when you can see some browning around the edges like that.

I noticed you don't have any feedbacks from Treehouse, someday you should stop in. The only turn-off for most people is that I don't offer free shipping.

Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:24:29 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I would give both books Solid FINE grades. MAYBE a FINE-, but to me, that's pushing it.
bovard
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:50:38 PM

Shop at My Store

CrossbowComics wrote:
Well the IM gets dropped to 6.5 just based on the creasing alone, a 1 inch crease is acceptable in FVF but not several. Either the seller didn't look at it or made no effort to grade it. FVF is not unreasonable on the Flash but there's at least one small stain & not disclosing it on a book over FN is playing with fire a bit. The crease with a couple small tears on the top edge is a little much for FVF too. Beyond that I'd need to see the inside edges of the cover, sometimes it gets a bit spotty & ugly when you can see some browning around the edges like that.

I noticed you don't have any feedbacks from Treehouse, someday you should stop in. The only turn-off for most people is that I don't offer free shipping.

Yep! Or the Comic Book Stop. Doug is one of the most strict graders out there, I would also throw The Pack Rats Barn (LadyJay) in the mix, as having very strict grading. And, I consider myself to be pretty tight on grading as well.

It's one thing to see a difference of a point or two on a grade, and of course we all can make mistakes from time to time, or just miss something. But when you see someone claiming VF/NM on a FN at best book, that's pretty bad.

There are lots of other sellers on CCL who have really good grading skills, the two I mentioned above are just a few of the best, imo.

bovard
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:55:19 PM

Shop at My Store

So what do you guys think on my ASM #199?

CrossbowComics
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:59:25 PM

Shop at My Store

Thankyou Miles!

frozilla
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 7:35:25 PM

Thanks for the responses guys! That's my contention Miles - that if I buy something graded VF/NM, I can understand getting a VF book but not F or ever worse. An offer for a percent refund is alright, but just grade it correctly. I think some may be intentionally grading a grade or two high on certain books so people buy them and even if they give them a partial refund they got to sell a low-graded book they'd normally never sell.

As far as your ASM 199, I can go by what I can see and it looks to me VF/NM. I'd probably have to see it at certain angels and closer to go above that.