Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
please grade my book Options
frozilla
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 7:34:39 PM

Groups: Member

Hi and welcome to yet another installment of Frozilla's "Grade My Booooook"! Laughing I just can't get enough samples for you guys to judge! This latest installment is Detective Comics 525. I'd like to submit it for your examination and afterwards i'll tell you what the seller graded as and what I did and the outcome of said exchange! Sounds fun right? Let's play!
___

Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
Jim
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 7:43:47 PM

comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 9:15:20 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

I would concur with errant. Although I would put it at the high end of that scale.

That top right corner gives me pause, but certainly isn't any more than a "major crease".

That cover seems to have maintained its gloss somewhat despite the slight scuffing. That's a good thing.
The interior pages seem pretty tight despite the yellowing and the slight orner foldover. They seem complete.

Yeah......VG+ /F-. But much closer to the F- than the VG+.

IMHO.
frozilla
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 2:14:57 PM

Ok, I suppose all the results are in; here's how it rolled -

~I bought it (and 2 other comics in similar condition) from someone touting these books were in VF+ condition. I sent a message to the seller and said that I thought that this book was VG/F at best (1 other being passable at F and the other being VG/F). He did refund partial funds but then sent me a copy/paste of VF/VF+ grading. Long story short, we vastly disagreed on the grading with me telling him that I could've accepted a VF as his VF+ but not something as egregious as this.

Stay tuned for the next episode of Frozilla's "Grade my Boooook!" Dancing

comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 3:00:54 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

frozilla wrote:
Ok, I suppose all the results are in; here's how it rolled -

~I bought it (and 2 other comics in similar condition) from someone touting these books were in VF+ condition. I sent a message to the seller and said that I thought that this book was VG/F at best (1 other being passable at F and the other being VG/F). He did refund partial funds but then sent me a copy/paste of VF/VF+ grading. Long story short, we vastly disagreed on the grading with me telling him that I could've accepted a VF as his VF+ but not something as egregious as this.

Stay tuned for the next episode of Frozilla's "Grade my Boooook!" Dancing

If anyone says they believe that comic is VF+, they are either lying or retarded.
Thundercron
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 3:08:11 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

My late two cents puts it at the low end of the spectrum--4.0. Due to corner creases, and the appearance of a pretty loose cover at the staples.
Jim
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 4:01:12 PM

I didn't notice the loose staples at first but I think Corey is right. Probably more like a 4.0-4.5. There is no way this book would ever grade out in the VF range....ever. A Fine grade is an acceptable discrepency IMO but thats about it.

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
frozilla
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 4:11:31 PM

I'll call attention to the stain on the lower left corner of the back as well. It's not blatantly obvious but when you see it, you can't un-see it.
A problem with this scenario is that I'd like to order from the guy again since he has some things I'd liek to get but I just can't trust someone that says that's VF+; had he said "oops that was an oversight, I didn't check the books when they went out" would've been better than to argue with me saying they were VF+.

Reiterating, I'd be willing to accept VG/FN but I initially called it as VG+. AHowever I didn't pay attention to the staples that much either, jsut the holes around them Loser it could possibly go as low as VG.

frozilla
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 12:17:23 AM

This episode of Frozilla's "Grade My Book!" brings a more positive experience to light. I bought this book while on vacation to Washington DC *several* years ago. I forgot I had it until recently I ran across it while reorganizing my collection. Without further adieu, my submission:

The back has no flaws that I can see and the inside is straight up off-white. The front has all of the detracting elements that I can see.

CrossbowComics
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 3:03:29 AM

Shop at My Store

A 7 for sure, probably a 7.5, that upper edge is the wildcard, hard to tell exactly what's going on there. If it got banged or crunched a bit I'd list it as a 7.

COMING SOON - TreehouseComicShop.com
also top rated on Ebay as ideaman33

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 3:16:45 AM

Shop at My Store

Agreed. 7 or 7.5.
CrossbowComics
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 3:30:59 AM

Shop at My Store

I'll agree with Errant's first guess on the Detective, VG+. The staining probably drops it to VGF all by itself. Minor stains are acceptable in FN, that's a bit more than a minor stain.

COMING SOON - TreehouseComicShop.com
also top rated on Ebay as ideaman33

frozilla
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 8:25:24 AM

About what I'd guessed on the Defenders #1. The top has about a thumb-width scuff that looks as if someone may've brushed thru it, unbagged, while in a box.
The reason that I remember where I bought it is that it had the pricetag/name of store still on the bag ($3.25/Coliseum of Comics). Why couldn't I have had more money when i was younger? I would've probably bought the store out of stock :)

frozilla
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:51:26 PM

StreetNERD wrote:

in case but no grades help me out

Ok, first - the pics are too small for anyone to be able to see details of the spine, creases, dents or any other detracting elements. Second, what are those anyway, some sort of reprint that someone CGC'd? Curious.

Thundercron
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:56:00 PM

Shop at My Store

Definitely interested in what the labels say.
StreetNERD
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:17:39 AM

frozilla wrote:
StreetNERD wrote:

Ok, first - the pics are too small for anyone to be able to see details of the spine, creases, dents or any other detracting elements. Second, what are those anyway, some sort of reprint that someone CGC'd? Curious.

Yes they reprints i got from a yard sell but i cant get a good pic on my phone any ideas

SHAZAM!!!!

follow me @ComicHeadTerry on Instagram
ComicReaderBatman
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 5:58:31 PM

StreetNERD wrote:
frozilla wrote:
StreetNERD wrote:

Yes they reprints i got from a yard sell but i cant get a good pic on my phone any ideas

If you have a printer you can scan the covers and pages on to your computer

I wear a mask. And that mask, it's not to hide who I am, but to create what I am.
ComicReaderBatman
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 4:28:16 PM

I am wondering if you guys can help me. I have a Batman #184 that I would like to know what grade it is. It has slight yellowing of some of the pages. These are the front back and first page photos:

I wear a mask. And that mask, it's not to hide who I am, but to create what I am.
comicscastle
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 4:47:35 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

With that much cover creasing I'd say GD, maybe GD/VG depending on how solid the book is in general.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

ComicReaderBatman
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 5:10:35 PM

comicscastle wrote:
With that much cover creasing I'd say GD, maybe GD/VG depending on how solid the book is in general.

Thank you for the feedback! It helps me so much!