Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
The diffarence between DIRECT EDITIONS and NEWSTAND EDITIONS? Options
sabertoothvsX23
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 4:41:42 PM

Groups: Member

Hello Everyone. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my newstand editions are inferior to direct editions. I know that often those comics I bought from the newsagent are often in poor condition but if they arnt? Are they worth less? Are they the rejects before they go onsale? Whats the deal?Think

sabertoothvsx23.spaces.live.com
Joey Von
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 10:21:10 PM

Groups: Beta, Member

To my knowledge, the only time there would be a difference is if they have different cover or if the newstand was on cheaper paper. For a while in the 90s, Marvel published direct editions on glossy paper & direct editions on the (at the time) regular non-glossy paper for a quarter or 2 less. So did Image, my copy of Spawn #2 is newstand and it doesn't have the nice glossy print quality of the direct editions.

Check me out on facebook and flickr
sabertoothvsX23
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 4:25:03 AM

Groups: Member

The covers are slightly differant but from what I can see, only on the bar code section. For instance, my copy of Wolverine Origins from the comic shop has simply "DIRECT EDITION" written in the bar code box (for obviouse reasons) but the ones in the newsagent have "WOLVERINE: ORIGINS" written in white lettering in a black strip, in the same place. And I have noticed this with all the comics from MARVEL. It troubles me because over the years I have collected a few from the Newsagent when I have missed out at the comic shop. Here in Australia, they are they are released at the Newsagent, two months after they are on the shelf at the comic shop. I'm thinking the Direct Editions are for the more avid collectors who demand cheaper, cleaner, bagged comics and the Newstand Editions are more for those who are just starting (just getting addicted, LOL) or for those who are just after after a quick read etc.

sabertoothvsx23.spaces.live.com
Joey Von
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 1:16:27 PM

Groups: Beta, Member

Oops, sorry about that. Didn't realize you were talking about the Australian printings. Over here in the states, the newstand version appear within a week or two of the direct editions. Good to know!

Check me out on facebook and flickr