Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
INVINCIBLE: Compendium... or TPB's? Options
inhumanking
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 12:56:41 PM

Groups: Member

So, Kirkman's 'Invincible' is the next title in the list of "i passed on it initially and wished i hadn't" books that i've decided to catch up on.

the dilemma: grab the VERY economical compendium, or go with the (seemingly more comprehensive, and definitely) more expensive TPB's?

here's why i ask...

from all the sources i can find, the compendium collects issues # 1-47.

the TPB's (#1-9) seem to include additional issues / story material on top of #1-47: Image Comics Summer Special, #0, #25(origin stories from the back), The Pact #4.

not to mention #1/2 which is only collected in the HC#2.

i'm leaning towards the compendium... but the 'completist twitch' in me doesn't want to miss out on anything that is cool or enhances the story experience.

i know there's a handful of CCL'ers who follow(ed) this series... can you guys shed any light that will help my decision?

SwiftMann
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:15:02 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

If you're even thinking trades, spring for the Ultimate Collection HCs. The cover price for these is just a little more than the trades that make them up (and the first is actually cheaper). Plus, you get a lot more material than in the trades AND a ton of extras.

I'm not sure what the 1/2 you're referencing is. There wasn't a 1/2 issue.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
inhumanking
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:24:19 AM

SwiftMann wrote:
you get a lot more material than in the trades AND a ton of extras.

i was wondering if i'm really 'missing' anything story-wise if i don't get to read those seperate issues... are they just appearances 'for-the-sake-of', or are they pertinent?

SwiftMann wrote:
If you're even thinking trades, spring for the Ultimate Collection HCs. I'm not sure what the 1/2 you're referencing is. There wasn't a 1/2 issue.

i noticed there was no #1/2 in the CCL library, so i wasn't sure. on the Invincible wiki page it states that #1/2 is collected in Invincible Ultimate Collection Hardcover Vol. 2 and also in The Complete Invincible Library Vol.1.

i realize that it IS the wiki page, but their inclusion of a #1/2 in two different collections with ISBN #'s didn't seem that random, as if the data came from the publisher.

the Ultimate Collection HCs definitely seem like the way to go... if i can catch them cheap.

SwiftMann
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:29:03 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

inhumanking wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:
you get a lot more material than in the trades AND a ton of extras.

i was wondering if i'm really 'missing' anything story-wise if i don't get to read those seperate issues... are they just appearances 'for-the-sake-of', or are they pertinent?

I'm not sure that they are terribly pertinent. Probably more in the nice-to-have category.

inhumanking wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:
If you're even thinking trades, spring for the Ultimate Collection HCs. I'm not sure what the 1/2 you're referencing is. There wasn't a 1/2 issue.

i noticed there was no #1/2 in the CCL library, so i wasn't sure. on the Invincible wiki page it states that #1/2 is collected in Invincible Ultimate Collection Hardcover Vol. 2 and also in The Complete Invincible Library Vol.1.

i realize that it IS the wiki page, but their inclusion of a #1/2 in two different collections with ISBN #'s didn't seem that random, as if the data came from the publisher.

the Ultimate Collection HCs definitely seem like the way to go... if i can catch them cheap.

What we note as being in Ultimate Collection Vol 2 is based on my copy of it (and I also bought all the issues along the way and have sold most of them here): Collects Invincible #14-24, #0 and Image Comics Summer Special #1

There's definitely no #1/2. They seem to be confusing that with the FCBD Summer Special issue.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
padreglcc
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:01:59 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

SwiftMann wrote:
If you're even thinking trades, spring for the Ultimate Collection HCs. The cover price for these is just a little more than the trades that make them up (and the first is actually cheaper). Plus, you get a lot more material than in the trades AND a ton of extras.

+1. I only read Invincible in the HCs. Not only do you get a complete story arc at once, but because they're oversize, the art is really presented beautifully.

“We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." W. H. Auden

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
inhumanking
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:19:25 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
What we note as being in Ultimate Collection Vol 2 is based on my copy of it (and I also bought all the issues along the way and have sold most of them here): Collects Invincible #14-24, #0 and Image Comics Summer Special #1

There's definitely no #1/2. They seem to be confusing that with the FCBD Summer Special issue.

got it. i'd take your word every day of the week over wiki.

padreglcc wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

+1. I only read Invincible in the HCs. Not only do you get a complete story arc at once, but because they're oversize, the art is really presented beautifully.

yeah. i love the HC/oversized presentation of comic art. since i'm not in a rush to read them (due to my already extensive backlog), i'll probably keep my eyes open and pick them up when the price is right.

thanks, guys

inhumanking
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 12:19:04 PM

quick update...

thanks to Amazon's already low prices and my Amazon rewards VISA, i scored all of the Invincible HC's for just a ridiculously ugly small % of msrp.

just started on # 3 last night, and i'm loving every bit of this series.
padreglcc
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 12:29:39 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Glad to hear it (both that you got the HCs for cheep and that you're enjoying them)!

“We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." W. H. Auden

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
fenix1977
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 12:25:37 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I need to get the trades for the issues I can't pick up on the cheep. The prices for the first couple of issues are nutty.

Mad Bloggings