Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Absolute Editions / Hardcover collections Options
inhumanking
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 2:02:22 PM

Groups: Member

i'm considering dumping full runs of some series / story arcs that are available as collections in hardcover editions or Abolute editions (DC).

i can read reviews on Amazon or descriptions on Wikipedia all day, but i'm looking for a little more depth... specific details regarding the format and content, not story-centric.

if anyone here owns any of the following in HC or an Absolute edition and would be willing to answer a few questions, PM me or post here: (thanks in advance!)

- Preacher

- Sandman

- Death

- Batman: Long Halloween

- Batman: Dark Victory

- Batman: Hush

- Batman: Dark Knight

- Identity Crisis

- The Cape (IDW)

- Locke & Key

- The Crow (Graphitti HC)

Reggie
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 2:35:15 PM

I own all the HCs of Locke & Key that are out. What details do you want to know?

inhumanking
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 2:42:00 PM

Reggie wrote:
I own all the HCs of Locke & Key

do any of the HC's contain the 'Guide to the Known Keys' one-shot?
since the 'Grindhouse' one-shot just came out, i'm hoping it will be included in a future HC edition, but i haven't been able to find out if the 'Guide' one-shot has been included.

also, how would you rate the extras (sketches, scripts, interviews, and especially a cover gallery... any variant covers?)

Reggie
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 5:13:56 PM

inhumanking wrote:
Reggie wrote:
I own all the HCs of Locke & Key

do any of the HC's contain the 'Guide to the Known Keys' one-shot?
since the 'Grindhouse' one-shot just came out, i'm hoping it will be included in a future HC edition, but i haven't been able to find out if the 'Guide' one-shot has been included.

also, how would you rate the extras (sketches, scripts, interviews, and especially a cover gallery... any variant covers?)

"Welcome to Lovecraft" Book 1: Includes a forward by Robert Crais. Includes small art gallery of standard covers for issues 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6(Cover for original issue 1 is what is on the cover of hardcover), colored headshot sketches of Bode, Kinsey, Tyler, Nina, Sam and Rendell, a sketch of Lovecraft island, and 2 elevation sketches of Keyhouse. Includes 2 very small biography's for Hill and Rodriguez. Attached ribbon bookmark.

"Head Games" Book 2: Includes elevation drawings of Keyhouse for North, West, South and East on inside covers. Introduction by Warren Ellis. Excerpts from the "Diary of Benjamin Pierce Locke" for 6 of the known keys(although for the Omega Key its a burnt image). Four pages of detailed steps by Rodriguez for developing a page of Locke & Key. Art Gallery including all standard covers for issues 1-6 plus cover art for 1:10 variant of issue 4. Same small bio's as Book 1. Attached ribbon bookmark.

"Crown of Shadows" Book 3: Wellhouse elevation and cross section drawings inside covers. Introduction by Brian K. Vaughan. Excerpts from Benjamin's diary of 9 known keys. Art gallery of standard covers for 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6(no #5), 1:10 variant for #s 2, 3 and 5. Attached ribbon for bookmark.

"Keys to the Kingdom" Book 4: Illustrations of 16 different keys inside covers. No introduction. Includes standard cover art for issues 1-6 at beginning of each chapter. Excerpts from Benjamin's diary of 15 known keys. No art gallery. No ribbon bookmark.

"Clockworks" Book 5: Floor plans of Keyhouse inside covers. Includes standard cover art for issues 1-6 at beginning of each chapter. Excerpts from Benjamin's diary of 18 known keys. No art gallery. Attached ribbon for bookmark.

None of these include any one shots such as the "Guide to the Known Keys". I actually read somewhere that all the one shots that have been or will be released are to be collected in their own hardcover along with new material.

chiller67
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 6:56:04 PM

I have about 8 Absolute editions including Dark Knight Returns and Hush.
Honestly? When I read any of them it makes me wish all comics were printed this way! The paper stock is very high quality, they're nicely bound and look magnificent. They weigh a ton and you need reinforced shelves to hold them lol.

The Absolute edition of Hush has a 9 page (and they're big pages) introduction from Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee as well as all the covers from the various comics and trade paperbacks plus pages and pages of sketches and preliminary drawings.
I have the Dynamic Forces edition which is signed with a Batman head sketch by Jim Lee.
This is truly a beautiful book and the artwork is stunning in this format.

The Absolute Dark Knight Returns includes Miller's seminal work along with it's sequel - The Dark Night Strikes Again. It's a huge volume and also has sketch pages, the original proposal, action figure designs etc.
I'm not actually sure how much, if any, of the bonus material in Dark Knight is exclusive to this edition as there have been a few luxury hard cover versions of DKR. I think it's the only single volume of both series.
This was my first Absolute edition and was purchased to replace my tattered copy. I figured if I'm gonna shell out a few quid on a book I better buy one that I like! Even if it had DK2!
Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of DC's Absolute Editions. The Sandman volumes are next on my Absolute list.

Good Luck.
chiller67
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 7:00:43 PM

Oh, I forgot. I also have the hard cover of Identity Crisis. The book that got me back into comics. How could I forget that? It has an excellent commentary piece at the back of the book and all the various covers.
I also forgot to mention Absolute Hush has annotations by Jim Lee.
inhumanking
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:09:53 AM

Reggie wrote:
"Welcome to Lovecraft" Book 1: Includes a forward by Robert Crais. Includes small art gallery of standard covers for issues 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6(Cover for original issue 1 is what is on the cover of hardcover), colored headshot sketches of Bode, Kinsey, Tyler, Nina, Sam and Rendell, a sketch of Lovecraft island, and 2 elevation sketches of Keyhouse. Includes 2 very small biography's for Hill and Rodriguez. Attached ribbon bookmark.

"Head Games" Book 2: Includes elevation drawings of Keyhouse for North, West, South and East on inside covers. Introduction by Warren Ellis. Excerpts from the "Diary of Benjamin Pierce Locke" for 6 of the known keys(although for the Omega Key its a burnt image). Four pages of detailed steps by Rodriguez for developing a page of Locke & Key. Art Gallery including all standard covers for issues 1-6 plus cover art for 1:10 variant of issue 4. Same small bio's as Book 1. Attached ribbon bookmark.

"Crown of Shadows" Book 3: Wellhouse elevation and cross section drawings inside covers. Introduction by Brian K. Vaughan. Excerpts from Benjamin's diary of 9 known keys. Art gallery of standard covers for 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6(no #5), 1:10 variant for #s 2, 3 and 5. Attached ribbon for bookmark.

"Keys to the Kingdom" Book 4: Illustrations of 16 different keys inside covers. No introduction. Includes standard cover art for issues 1-6 at beginning of each chapter. Excerpts from Benjamin's diary of 15 known keys. No art gallery. No ribbon bookmark.

"Clockworks" Book 5: Floor plans of Keyhouse inside covers. Includes standard cover art for issues 1-6 at beginning of each chapter. Excerpts from Benjamin's diary of 18 known keys. No art gallery. Attached ribbon for bookmark.

None of these include any one shots such as the "Guide to the Known Keys".

thanks, Reg. this is exactly what i was looking for. if the 2 (so far) one-shots make it into HC, i'll definitely convert this series.

inhumanking
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:15:07 AM

chiller67 wrote:
I have about 8 Absolute editions including Dark Knight Returns and Hush.
Honestly? When I read any of them it makes me wish all comics were printed this way! The paper stock is very high quality, they're nicely bound and look magnificent. They weigh a ton and you need reinforced shelves to hold them lol.

The Absolute edition of Hush has a 9 page (and they're big pages) introduction from Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee as well as all the covers from the various comics and trade paperbacks plus pages and pages of sketches and preliminary drawings.
I have the Dynamic Forces edition which is signed with a Batman head sketch by Jim Lee.
This is truly a beautiful book and the artwork is stunning in this format.

The Absolute Dark Knight Returns includes Miller's seminal work along with it's sequel - The Dark Night Strikes Again. It's a huge volume and also has sketch pages, the original proposal, action figure designs etc.
I'm not actually sure how much, if any, of the bonus material in Dark Knight is exclusive to this edition as there have been a few luxury hard cover versions of DKR. I think it's the only single volume of both series.
This was my first Absolute edition and was purchased to replace my tattered copy. I figured if I'm gonna shell out a few quid on a book I better buy one that I like! Even if it had DK2!
Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of DC's Absolute Editions. The Sandman volumes are next on my Absolute list.

Good Luck.

thanks, Martin. these were pretty much 'no-brainers', but i wanted to get a 'real person's opinion.

for instance, i've heard disappointing things about Absolute Identity Crisis and Absolute Death, but those may have been more related to what some may consider false or misleading advertising.

inhumanking
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:15:15 AM

Reggie wrote:
I actually read somewhere that all the one shots that have been or will be released are to be collected in their own hardcover along with new material.

looks like you were right.

from Joe Hill's blog:

"Have had a lot of questions about whether GRINDHOUSE or OPEN THE MOON will appear in a future hardcover. The answer is, yes, but not for a while.

The story begun in the first volume of LOCKE & KEY (WELCOME TO LOVECRAFT) will conclude in the next book, OMEGA. But at some point in 2014, there’ll be what I think of as the “bonus” LOCKE & KEY book: a collection of standalone stories tentatively called THE GOLDEN AGE. That’s where you’ll find GRINDHOUSE, OPEN THE MOON, IN THE CAN… and four other stories
."

Reggie
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:40:54 AM

inhumanking wrote:
Reggie wrote:
I actually read somewhere that all the one shots that have been or will be released are to be collected in their own hardcover along with new material.

looks like you were right.

from Joe Hill's blog:

"Have had a lot of questions about whether GRINDHOUSE or OPEN THE MOON will appear in a future hardcover. The answer is, yes, but not for a while.

The story begun in the first volume of LOCKE & KEY (WELCOME TO LOVECRAFT) will conclude in the next book, OMEGA. But at some point in 2014, there’ll be what I think of as the “bonus” LOCKE & KEY book: a collection of standalone stories tentatively called THE GOLDEN AGE. That’s where you’ll find GRINDHOUSE, OPEN THE MOON, IN THE CAN… and four other stories
."

Dancing Sweet! It had been a while since I heard that. Glad to hear its still in the works.

inhumanking
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:54:11 PM

Reggie wrote:
I own all the HCs of Locke & Key that are out.

hey Reg- i think i remember you posting that you own 'The cape' in HC. can you tell me if it contains the 4 issues main series and the one shot?
thanks-

Reggie
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:35:13 PM

inhumanking wrote:
Reggie wrote:
I own all the HCs of Locke & Key that are out.

hey Reg- i think i remember you posting that you own 'The cape' in HC. can you tell me if it contains the 4 issues main series and the one shot?
thanks-

I checked my copy and it says under the indica "Originally published as The Cape One Shot and The Cape issues # 1-4". Hope this helps.
-Reg