Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
The "Why Is This Issue Worth So Much?" Thread Options
BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:05:34 AM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

This is the thread to figure why certain issues are worth so much. Sometimes it's obvious like the death of a character or a key event. But sometimes, it's not so obvious.

I'm wondering why this guy is worth so much:

I realize that it's an early Thanos story, and Thanos is a pretty popular villain. But this particular issue I'm finding in the $50 range. And that's pretty much out of my price range. And the issue that precedes it in the storyline (Avengers Annual #7) also features Thanos and isn't worth nearly as much.

It's a little annoying because I have like all the significant Thanos, Warlock, and Captain Marvel issues from the 70s except for this one.

Nobody debuts or dies in this issue, either. Well, Thanos does. But we all know that Thanos has walked the line between life and death many times over because he's Death's consort. So that doesn't really mean anything.

Any ideas anyone?

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
comicfan17blue
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:12:02 AM
Groups: Member

The only reason I can think of is a harder to find issue and with increased demand since it was revealed that Thanos would be the villain in the next Avengers movie has caused the value to increase.
BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:21:57 AM

comicfan17blue wrote:
The only reason I can think of is a harder to find issue and with increased demand since it was revealed that Thanos would be the villain in the next Avengers movie has caused the value to increase.

I'd agree, but I was looking for this issue before the movie ever came out. So I don't think that's the case here.

frozilla
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 11:12:00 AM

First, great idea from a thread. It's one where I think "Man, why didn't I come up with that thread?"

I have no stats to back this up so take it for what it's worth but I don't think Marvel Two-in-One was as widely circulated as the main lines and also, an annual? Even less so (though Avengers annual #7 IS an annual as well..)

As far as pricing, I don't think those two annuals are that far apart on price. I recently picked this one up and it was pretty reasonable, though that might be due to the fact I held out until I found a nice condition copy. The one I picked up is around VF+ and it was considerably less than what Overstreet has the value at.

It has some 1st appearnces of some minor characters and is told to be death of Thanos and Warlock as well. Also says it's the last chapter of that storyline.

Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
ukblueky
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:14:08 PM

Cant figure out why the new Batgirl and Catwoman #13's are going for around 20 bucks.Dont tell me its cause of the gimmick cover.

frozilla
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:27:26 PM

ukblueky wrote:
Cant figure out why the new Batgirl and Catwoman #13's are going for around 20 bucks.Dont tell me its cause of the gimmick cover.

Yeah, I thought that was a goof, too. the only thing I can think is maybe the Death in the Family storyline demand caught most sellers by surprise? I'd givie it a month or two, I bet it'll go back down when the hype simmers.

Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:29:44 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

ukblueky wrote:

Pretty sure it's because it's the First appearance of New 52 Joker. Pretty sure there was a huge run on these early, because of perceived demand.

Wait for about 2 or 3 months. they'll be selling for a fraction of that, I would bet.
comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:30:19 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

LOL. Frozilla. we must have been typing at the same time.
ebcomix
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:31:17 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

The Marvel Two-In-One Annual is a pricey book because it's a great story combined with some of Jim Starlin's best artwork, along with Avengers Annual #7. It's been in my top 100 greatest comics of all time for pretty much all time

Dave H
ComicReaderBatman
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:12:08 PM

I agree with all of you guys with the Two in one book. Why is Walking Dead #1 so expensive. Once the t.v. show is over, the book isn't going to be worth much but thats what i think.

I wear a mask. And that mask, it's not to hide who I am, but to create what I am.
ukblueky
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:40:53 PM

I dont see Walking Dead #1 going down much in price.The show has become such a sucess that it has long passed cult status.

4saken1
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 7:34:57 PM

Shop at My Store

ukblueky wrote:
I dont see Walking Dead #1 going down much in price.The show has become such a sucess that it has long passed cult status.

Ditto. If it does drop, it won't be for a long time and probably not that much.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

Tamwood
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:44:47 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Walking Dead #1 was already over-priced before the TV show came along. The TV show just allowed the price to reach epic levels of absurdness, and it won't really drop that much. The first issue was very short-printed, and still in demand among actual comic collectors, not TV-speculators.

Batgirl and Catwoman #13 were not high-ordered. Both books are second, if not third, tier books in the current comic landscape. And most comic book readers DON'T PAY ATTENTION, which is amazing, considering there's a physical catalog every month, as well as websites for every comic book company and an online catalog website (comixology). Not to mention the little postcards that Marvel and DC sent out to comic shops for every single crossover storyline.

That said, most people probably didn't know that Death of the Family was going to be crossing over into Catwoman and Batgirl, and thus, they didn't order the book from their shop. And shops, needing to be financially responsible, didn't order in a slew of copies, and so you've got a lot of demand for early storyline issues, and not much supply.

I'm really surprised that Red Hood #13 isn't up there as well, as it is an unofficial tie-in to the storyline. Maybe it just needed the die-cut cover gimmick, too.
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:16:03 PM

it seems because an artist or writer puts something new out its automatically a high end comic i.e. venom 1 and 2 because Moore drew them... its kinda dumb imo. point in case... the new marvel NOW issue of deadpool #1 will probably be a sought after book mainly because of his ties to TWD and venom.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 9:26:07 PM

i got one... why is darkwing duck(2010) 1, so much?

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

Thundercron
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 9:29:07 PM

Shop at My Store

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
i got one... why is darkwing duck(2010) 1, so much?

.......because it's cute?
LordMikel
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 10:13:24 PM

Tamwood wrote:
Walking Dead #1 was already over-priced before the TV show came along. The TV show just allowed the price to reach epic levels of absurdness, and it won't really drop that much. The first issue was very short-printed, and still in demand among actual comic collectors, not TV-speculators.

Batgirl and Catwoman #13 were not high-ordered. Both books are second, if not third, tier books in the current comic landscape. And most comic book readers DON'T PAY ATTENTION, which is amazing, considering there's a physical catalog every month, as well as websites for every comic book company and an online catalog website (comixology). Not to mention the little postcards that Marvel and DC sent out to comic shops for every single crossover storyline.

That said, most people probably didn't know that Death of the Family was going to be crossing over into Catwoman and Batgirl, and thus, they didn't order the book from their shop. And shops, needing to be financially responsible, didn't order in a slew of copies, and so you've got a lot of demand for early storyline issues, and not much supply.

I'm really surprised that Red Hood #13 isn't up there as well, as it is an unofficial tie-in to the storyline. Maybe it just needed the die-cut cover gimmick, too.

That "Do not pay attention" is so true. But then sometimes I think LCS are to partially blame. They never look at Batgirl crossing over with Batman and think, "I usually sell 5 Batgirl and 25 Batman, but they are crossing over, perhaps I should order 12 Batgirl in case a few more people want it." They just order the 5.
Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:50:58 AM

Shop at My Store

Okay, on to more candidates for this thread. I propose:

Frank Miller Daredevils (specifically, #158-191 of volume 1)

Back in the day, Miller was hot, and the prices quoted in Overstreet were valid. I can also verify that, on a local level, some of these issues were darn near impossible to find in the days before the internet, especially #158-175 or so. Then the internet came, and it appeared that many of these were readily available at any time. Couple that with the fact that Miller has lost many of his fans in the last ten years or so (which is a shame, because all of his 1980's to 1990's stuff really holds up today).

Truth is, nobody really cares about Miller anymore. But Overstreet still prices this stuff like it's still gold. Even by last year's Overstreet it's ridiculous--$35 for #174 and 175, $32 each for #176-180. The most overpriced issue, though, has to be #181 at $55. Sure, it's the death of Elektra, a sweet Bullseye go-around, and even a Punisher cameo. But this issue was the most widely distributed of the run, and can easily be had for $10 to $20, absolute tops.
BurningDoom
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 1:14:00 AM

Thundercron wrote:

Back in the day, Miller was hot, and the prices quoted in Overstreet were valid. I can also verify that, on a local level, some of these issues were darn near impossible to find in the days before the internet, especially #158-175 or so. Then the internet came, and it appeared that many of these were readily available at any time. Couple that with the fact that Miller has lost many of his fans in the last ten years or so (which is a shame, because all of his 1980's to 1990's stuff really holds up today).

Truth is, nobody really cares about Miller anymore. But Overstreet still prices this stuff like it's still gold. Even by last year's Overstreet it's ridiculous--$35 for #174 and 175, $32 each for #176-180. The most overpriced issue, though, has to be #181 at $55. Sure, it's the death of Elektra, a sweet Bullseye go-around, and even a Punisher cameo. But this issue was the most widely distributed of the run, and can easily be had for $10 to $20, absolute tops.

Nobody cares about Miller anymore? I've never been a big Frank Miller fan before, but the influence in the Nolan Batman films and the success of Sin City and 300 seems to suggest otherwise.

Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 1:20:38 AM

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

Nobody cares about Miller anymore? I've never been a big Frank Miller fan before, but the influence in the Nolan Batman films and the success of Sin City and 300 seems to suggest otherwise.

Hey, I'm not saying his older stuff doesn't influence today's talent. But ever since his Dark Knight 2, his pedigree has really diminished. I guess people didn't really care for his All Star Batman and Robin, either, not to mention his bizarre venture into film-making. I also hear he ruffled a LOT of feathers with some comments over the years about Muslims, terrorists, and the occupy folks.