Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Change Request Captions Options
monidaw1
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 10:44:11 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Quote:
It's important info because it explains the scarcity of a particular issue.

It sounds like it only tells you there might be X other copys of the same issue with the other cover out there but in no way is accurate to relay that information that either are scarce.

Like the example above, there could be 9,999 other copys out there on a 250,000 copy print run or possible only 100 others if the majority of stores didn't order enough copys of the standard cover to get to the minnimum required to be able to order 1 copy of the different cover.

Bamf!!! Photobucket Pages

scotteaves
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 11:07:08 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

monidaw1 wrote:

Sure we do. We ignore stuff like indicas, cover titles and such all the time. Easy example, I just figured out where to file

Masakazu Katsura's Shadow Lady #8:Eye's of a Stranger #2
That would be shadow Lady #9

Masakazu Katsura's Shadow Lady: Dangerous Love #4
That would be Shadow Lady #4

No, we don't ignore useful information. You just choose random crap to throw at the wall and complain about. Give it a rest. Ratios are NOT going away from Captions - just because you don't have a use for them doesn't mean the rest of the members (and comic industry) don't. Now, please, move out of the way of an actual discussion on formatting Captions if you have nothing of value to add.

If the title is WRONG per the indicia, submit a Change Request to fix it. And provide something to support the change. Titles ARE NOT based on what is printed on the front cover.

monidaw1
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 12:39:01 PM

Shop at My Store

Quote:
No, we don't ignore useful information. You just choose random crap to throw at the wall and complain about.

It's not random, it's been a question for a while now that I hadn't had the opportunity to address and I wasn't the first to bring it up in this particular discussion. Check padreglcc's response earlier.

Quote:
Question: If we agree to put the ratios at the end like we do with the limited print run numbers, will that cause confusion with either a) captions that look different scattered throughout the database, or b) the average user not knowing the difference between / and : in the captions?

I basically answered his question that yes it could cause confusion, ratio's in general anywhere in the caption can cause confusion if you aren't familiar with what they are Ooh and now that you've explained what they are the information they relay seems even less relevent. I don't expect them to go away since nothing here ever really changes. Maybe in a perfect world they might one day end up as just a side note of information in the general description along with other stuff even more useful like page count, dimension, color/ B&W, etc or maybe stuff that actually portrays the rarity of an issue like the actual number printed. Was it a quarter million or 7 million? Silly

Quote:
No, we don't ignore useful information. You just choose random crap to throw at the wall and complain about.

it's not random, the desks are covered with titles starting with the letters SHA getting sorted, graded and uploaded today.

Quote:
And provide something to support the change. Titles ARE NOT based on what is printed on the front cover.

A scanned indica support enough? I could scan the other indicas for you as well if you'd like some more examples.

Isn't communicatting fun !?! Big Grin

Jim
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 12:45:30 PM

Groups: Member

Monidaw1, variant ratio's are different than model scales. The ratio is set forth by Diamond and the Publishers so it's a well known system that is recognized by most collectors.

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
crackerjack1
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 12:53:15 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Now that the thread has been completely derailed. Ratios will never be removed from wanted information in the database.

Moving on, so where are we deciding to go with this then? We had multiple opinons on the fromatting, but nothing firm on how we should move forward.

It sounds like most people are against the caption as Wraparound 1:25 Sketch Cover and most are leaning towards 1:25 Wraparound Sketch Cover or Wraparound Sketch Cover 1:25. I personally feel that both of these just look off. If I had to choose one, I would say that 1:25 Wraparound Sketch Cover would be the better of the 2, but I still think where there are 2 descriptive terms being used, one could replace the slot generally held for the artist.

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

All-New Ultimates, All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Amazing X-Men, Angel & Faith, Avengers, Avengers World, Batman, Batman Eternal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Daredevil, Earth 2, East of West, Fantastic Four, Flash, Ghostbusters, Guardians of the Galaxy, Harley Quinn, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Injustice, Iron Fist, Justice League, Lazarus, Mega Man, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, Moon Knight, New Avengers, New Warriors, Nova, Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo Team-Up, Sinestro, Star Wars, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Teen Titans Go!, TMNT, TMNT Color Classics, TMNT New Animated Adventures, Tomb Raider, Ultimate Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, WWE Superstars, X-Men

Mini Series

Danger Girl: Mayday, Deadpool vs Carnage, Dexter's Laboratory, Figment, Original Sin, Original Sins, Serenity: Leaves on the Wind, Superman Unchained, Tiny Titans: Return to the Treehouse

All Spider-Man and TMNT Appearances and Variants
monidaw1
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 4:06:22 PM

Shop at My Store

Quote:
Now that the thread has been completely derailed. Ratios will never be removed from wanted information in the database.

Derailed is a bit of a reach. It appears to be right on topic.

A. It could have been asked and dealt with secretly in the super secret private approvers lounge but since it wasn't then taking a few minutes to inform the general public what you're actually discussing is and how it has to do with anything important isn't out of the realm of being considerate. Along with should be expected a little commentary of opinions on the topic.

B. The question had already been dealt with and finished with the answer being Four Score and Seven Years ago our Forefathers set up some guidelines that have to be followed. If you're saying that those guidelines aren't set in stone and are subject to revision then having the opinion expressed that that information about Ratio's could be placed elsewhere instead of cluttering up and confussing the Captions to some of us in the general public especially since we don't neccesarily see the added value as an identifier above and beyond that of the artists name. and in general tend to think less is more/concise is better.

C. Everything else was in response to padreglcc's question or scott's commentary.

Quote:
There is a lot of good and useful information in the Guidelines for anyone adding info to the Database. It is a good read.

It's right up there on my read list along with that book in the glove compartment of the truck and that stack of booklets from all the appliances as soon as I finish uploading the other 908,000 comics into the store. Big Grin

Carry on and don't forget to VOTE!!!! Party

Spider-Man
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 5:47:17 PM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

crackerjack1 wrote:

Moving on, so where are we deciding to go with this then? We had multiple opinons on the fromatting, but nothing firm on how we should move forward.

It sounds like most people are against the caption as Wraparound 1:25 Sketch Cover and most are leaning towards 1:25 Wraparound Sketch Cover or Wraparound Sketch Cover 1:25. I personally feel that both of these just look off. If I had to choose one, I would say that 1:25 Wraparound Sketch Cover would be the better of the 2, but I still think where there are 2 descriptive terms being used, one could replace the slot generally held for the artist.

I am for, not against, this version.

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

scotteaves
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 8:00:49 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

monidaw1 wrote:

Quote:
There is a lot of good and useful information in the Guidelines for anyone adding info to the Database. It is a good read.

It's right up there on my read list along with that book in the glove compartment of the truck and that stack of booklets from all the appliances as soon as I finish uploading the other 908,000 comics into the store. Big Grin

You should try reading them BEFORE you submit more comics. It'll make it easier for you.

crackerjack1
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 6:28:04 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

monidaw1 wrote:
Quote:

Derailed is a bit of a reach. It appears to be right on topic.

Not a reach at all. This thread is about the DC Comics Wraparound 1:25 variants and how we would like them formatted. Having the ratio in the caption is not in question.

If you have an issue with the ratios in the captions in general it can be handled in a different thread.

monidaw1 wrote:
We ignore stuff like indicas, cover titles and such all the time. Easy example, I just figured out where to file

Masakazu Katsura's Shadow Lady #8:Eye's of a Stranger #2
That would be shadow Lady #9

Masakazu Katsura's Shadow Lady: Dangerous Love #4
That would be Shadow Lady #4

^^ This has nothing to do with this current conversation.

Now you have me doing it........

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

All-New Ultimates, All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Amazing X-Men, Angel & Faith, Avengers, Avengers World, Batman, Batman Eternal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Daredevil, Earth 2, East of West, Fantastic Four, Flash, Ghostbusters, Guardians of the Galaxy, Harley Quinn, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Injustice, Iron Fist, Justice League, Lazarus, Mega Man, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, Moon Knight, New Avengers, New Warriors, Nova, Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo Team-Up, Sinestro, Star Wars, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Teen Titans Go!, TMNT, TMNT Color Classics, TMNT New Animated Adventures, Tomb Raider, Ultimate Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, WWE Superstars, X-Men

Mini Series

Danger Girl: Mayday, Deadpool vs Carnage, Dexter's Laboratory, Figment, Original Sin, Original Sins, Serenity: Leaves on the Wind, Superman Unchained, Tiny Titans: Return to the Treehouse

All Spider-Man and TMNT Appearances and Variants
monidaw1
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 7:15:37 AM

Shop at My Store

Quote:
^^ This has nothing to do with this current conversation.

Now you have me doing it........

Isn't it great. You can carry on a conversation about more than a singular aspect of a topic all in one place and not have to feel bad about it. Big Hug

As for the quote you snipped it was a direct reply to a comment scott made and was posted immediately below said comment and clearly showed an example of not databasing information by indicas or covers which had immediately prior to posting that caused me to waste over 30 minutes trying to find where we choose to keep those books filed in the database and clearly that choice has nothing to do with the cover title or indica but, believe it or not, I actually like the choice on a personnel note wishing in vain that common sense lumping stuff together irregaurdless of what an indica says may one day spread to my X-Titles. Pray

Quote:
You should try reading them BEFORE you submit more comics. It'll make it easier for you.

I'm not the learn how to fix the car myself type. If I owned the car I'd pay a mechanic. Since in this case I'm leasing the car for thousands of dollars a year I expect basic stuff to be handled the dealer or in this case pawned off to the free help. Winking

Now back to our regularly scheduled election.

Vote Front, Back, Middle, Elsewhere (Like in the Item Bio area) or Not at all
YOUR VOTE COUNTS, (Now that all the candidates are finally on the ballot even if they don't expect to win) DON"T WASTE IT.
(Insert Patriotic smiley here)

comicscastle
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 8:12:34 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

This thread has gotten hopelessly off topic, even if some people can't see it, and is just going in circles. I'm locking it. If anyone wants to start a new thread, please do.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar