Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
The ol' "Bait & Switch" routine . . . a small venting. Options
Kingsman
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:05:09 AM

Groups: Member

Thanksgiving weekend I visited the family in northern Ohio. I ventured out on Black Friday to various, local comic book stores to see if there are sales to be located. As usual, the stores had some great finds and helpful shop owners . . . except for one.

This particular store was offering 50%-off all back issues . . . great deal, right? The back issue boxes we rather worn, the titles were in semi-alphabetical order at best and the protective bags were haggard. It was easy to assume that the store's back issue business was very sparse.

So going through these bins, I find some gems including two issues of Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8 (first appearance of the symbiote "Black Costume"). The price marked was $2 & $3 each. Once I get to the counter, the owner said "No sale, this must be a mistake."

I certainly understand that "mistakes" happen. But wouldn't it stand to reason that if you are having a large, Black Friday sale that maybe . . . just maybe . . . you would either review your inventory . . . or even care enough to check your inventory that has obviously gone untouched and/or sorted for several years PRIOR to offering a large sale?

What are your thoughts and opinions?
Xylob
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:35:54 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

sounds like that store owner is a douche bag

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:59:24 AM

yeah F that guy. i love hearing about d!ick hole store owners. it cracks me up

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

KingZombie
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:29:18 AM

I had a guy do that to me at a show. When he said that I left the pile of other books I'd dug up and walked away.

Whenever I saw him at other shows I avoided him like the plague. People like that shouldn't be in business.

Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 12:18:31 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

It's crappy when a shop owner uses the customer to locate hot, key issues from their inventory and then not even give them the courtesy of an hourly wage for the time they spend in the store.
BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 1:07:34 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

When I was younger and not quite so concerned with my morals, I would switch around price stickers on the back issues. Blush

It's not always the owner's fault. I'm sure a comic shop owner knows that Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars is worth more than you're average back-issue from the 80s, and it's been that way for quite a while.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 1:10:22 PM

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
When I was younger and not quite so concerned with my morals, I would switch around price stickers on the back issues. Blush

It's not always the owner's fault. I'm sure a comic shop owner knows that Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars is worth more than you're average back-issue from the 80s, and it's been that way for quite a while.

That's BAAAAD!!!!! EVIL!!!!

And not information I'd offer up, personally....
BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 1:34:58 PM

Thundercron wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

That's BAAAAD!!!!! EVIL!!!!

And not information I'd offer up, personally....

I don't do it anymore. I was a kid, like 10-13 years old, and dumb.

4saken1
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 2:37:41 PM

Shop at My Store

So, if this was the work of some evil kid like BurningDoom, should the shop owner still honor the price? Laughing

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

CrossbowComics
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 2:47:10 PM

Shop at My Store

How the heck were they even in there at $2-3? Even a beater copy of that issue fetches $20. It's hard to say without knowing all the details but as marked they should have sold a long long time ago. They must have been in storage a LONG time, which means you probably ought to go back & see what other deals you can find. Somebody probably beat you to the Walking Dead 1 though.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION - TreehouseComicShop.com
also top rated on Ebay as ideaman33

Kingsman
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 4:13:01 PM

CrossbowComics wrote:
How the heck were they even in there at $2-3? Even a beater copy of that issue fetches $20. It's hard to say without knowing all the details but as marked they should have sold a long long time ago. They must have been in storage a LONG time, which means you probably ought to go back & see what other deals you can find. Somebody probably beat you to the Walking Dead 1 though.

I could honestly say that the back issue bins probably have not been touched in years. I am guessing that the store does the bulk of their business with gaming cards, accessories and new issues. I probably spent a good 90-minutes combing through the 50 short boxes.
outcast
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 4:30:32 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

CrossbowComics wrote:
How the heck were they even in there at $2-3? Even a beater copy of that issue fetches $20.
I found a really nice copy of Secret Wars #8 (newsstand, my preferred version) in an unsorted bargain box ($1 each) earlier this year. Some retailers don't really pay attention.
CrossbowComics
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:01:02 PM

Shop at My Store

outcast wrote:
CrossbowComics wrote:
How the heck were they even in there at $2-3? Even a beater copy of that issue fetches $20.
I found a really nice copy of Secret Wars #8 (newsstand, my preferred version) in an unsorted bargain box ($1 each) earlier this year. Some retailers don't really pay attention.

Nice catch. That 1-12 set can fetch $40 pretty easily in decent shape, if you can get a deal on issue 8 you're halfway home.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION - TreehouseComicShop.com
also top rated on Ebay as ideaman33

BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 6:31:53 PM

4saken1 wrote:
So, if this was the work of some evil kid like BurningDoom, should the shop owner still honor the price? Laughing

Just using that as an example. My point was that it's not always the owner's fault and if he's a comic shop owner I'm pretty sure he knows a well-known issue like that fetches much more than $2.

Dementia5
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 6:41:51 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Subscriber

BurningDoom wrote:
4saken1 wrote:

Just using that as an example. My point was that it's not always the owner's fault and if he's a comic shop owner I'm pretty sure he knows a well-known issue like that fetches much more than $2.

I think his point was you are no longer trustworthy. Evil is as evil does, and so forth.

"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son

We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:04:08 PM

Dementia5 wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
4saken1 wrote:

I think his point was you are no longer trustworthy. Evil is as evil does, and so forth.

Right, because people never grow or anything, especially since being 13 years old. I also used to get into fist-fights at that age. Doesn't mean I still go around punching people that make me angry.

4saken1
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:19:38 PM

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
Right, because people never grow or anything, especially since being 13 years old. I also used to get into fist-fights at that age. Doesn't mean I still go around punching people that make me angry.

I think Dementia5 was just pulling your chain.

My point was that people are often quick to judge others without knowing their side of the story. A 'bait and switch' implies intentional deceit, and judging by the circumstances presented it doesn't seem like that was the case.

Some would argue that he should have sold it to Kingsman anyways - heck I probably would have, but I'm not going to judge a comic shop owner trying to eke out a meager living because somebody caught him unaware. In the end, all that really happened was that Kingsman got his hopes up for a few minutes and then was disappointed. He wasn't taken advantage of. There wasn't any cash lost on his part. I just don't see what the big deal is!

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).