Welcome Guest Active Topics
Why is Washington Dc Not a State? Options
cycle89
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:12:18 AM
Groups: Member

Why is Washington Dc Not a State?
comicscastle
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:58:58 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

The founding fathers did not want the federal government to be run by a state. It remains neutral to all state laws that way. Can you imagine the red tape if it was? The federal government and the state government would both be trying to get their way. It is in everyone's best interest for it to stay that way.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

Tamwood
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:18:12 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Because then we'd have 51 states. And that'd just be odd.
Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:55:30 AM

Tamwood wrote:
Because then we'd have 51 states. And that'd just be odd.
http://instantrimshot.com/

It doesn't matter if it's 50 Cents or 50 Dollars - if you list it as NM it better be NM.
Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!

Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...
LadyJay
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:58:20 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host

It's been talked about a few times. Aside from the neutrality issues that Pat mentioned, my understanding is that the states that donated the land used for our nation's capital would need to give their permission in order for DC to become a state. Washington DC was orginally built on land donated by Maryland and Virginia. I think (although I'm not sure) that Virginia eventually took some or all of theirs back. Either way the Maryland part of the donation still exists (or DC wouldn't).

monidaw1
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:01:03 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

What a tangled web.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_retrocession

Looks like the most likely future outcome is most of DC going back to Maryland except a small part around the buildings that Congress would still control and fund and that's assuming Maryland ever wants it back and that it stands up to any consitutional challenges which giving the land back that VA donated to quell the fears of people wanting to keep their slaves while upgrading the port of Alexandria to be competetive have avoided so far but could still occur. Once RG3 wins the Superbowl a few times you might see Maryland pushing for reclomation but even if it happened, the Redskins would still be In Washington County and wouldn't have to change their name forcing millions of people to have to redecorate everything from their cars paint job to their sofas. Whew!

Bamf!!! Photobucket Pages

Xylob
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 6:59:01 AM

cycle89 wrote:
Why is Washington Dc Not a State?
Because they don't deserve to be?
Seriously, because the US doesn't want a state named Cracksylvania.

It doesn't matter if it's 50 Cents or 50 Dollars - if you list it as NM it better be NM.
Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!

Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...
LadyJay
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:32:36 AM

monidaw1 wrote:
What a tangled web.

Looks like the most likely future outcome is most of DC going back to Maryland except a small part around the buildings that Congress would still control and fund and that's assuming Maryland ever wants it back and that it stands up to any consitutional challenges which giving the land back that VA donated to quell the fears of people wanting to keep their slaves while upgrading the port of Alexandria to be competetive have avoided so far but could still occur. Once RG3 wins the Superbowl a few times you might see Maryland pushing for reclomation but even if it happened, the Redskins would still be In Washington County and wouldn't have to change their name forcing millions of people to have to redecorate everything from their cars paint job to their sofas. Whew!

No, unless they physically move, the Redskins would not be in Washington County. Washington County is in the the western part of the Maryland. And Maryland doesn't need to take back any part of DC to get the Redskins. The team is already in Maryland, Fed Ex field is located in Prince George's County Maryland, not the District of Columbia.

ShenValleyInitiative
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 10:19:11 AM

Groups: Member

LadyJay wrote:
monidaw1 wrote:
What a tangled web.

No, unless they physically move, the Redskins would not be in Washington County. Washington County is in the the western part of the Maryland. And Maryland doesn't need to take back any part of DC to get the Redskins. The team is already in Maryland, Fed Ex field is located in Prince George's County Maryland, not the District of Columbia.

LJ is correct on the county. the team's stadium is in Landover Maryland. There is talk of them moving the games back into DC, serious talk actually. Apparently to the old RFK grounds. I'm all for that too. Redskins HQ is actually in Ashburn VA, and training camp is in Richmond VA starting next year. Maryland can have the Ravens, we'll take the Skins lol

LadyJay
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:21:29 PM

ShenValleyInitiative wrote:
LadyJay wrote:
monidaw1 wrote:
What a tangled web.

LJ is correct on the county. the team's stadium is in Landover Maryland. There is talk of them moving the games back into DC, serious talk actually. Apparently to the old RFK grounds. I'm all for that too. Redskins HQ is actually in Ashburn VA, and training camp is in Richmond VA starting next year. Maryland can have the Ravens, we'll take the Skins lol

No, No, No. I'd rather see Maryland keep the Skins and let Va (or anybody else) have the Ravens.Batting Eyelashes

monidaw1
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:22:57 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

RFK is the only Redskin stadium. If I refuse to accept any substitute then they never moved and I get to know they're in Washington wether it's County, DC or State.
Big Grin

Besides, we all know Marylands team is the Baltimore Colts. Applause

Bamf!!! Photobucket Pages