Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Winter Storm Khan. Whaaat? Options
MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 12:16:52 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Since when have snow storms gotten names? I turn on the Weather Channel to find out when the snow is starting and how much I'm getting and suddenly realize that a quarter of the country is cowering before the fury of Winter Storm Khan! Are you serious? I don't know whether I should batten down the yurt or run outside and scream at the sky Shatner style.

If they're doing it alphabetically how can we already be on K? I understand that the 24 hour news cycle needs to feed the beast but come on. I guess it keeps the people who come up with the special logo and theme music employed...

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

padreglcc
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 12:20:11 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

KHAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!!!!

Oh, and here's an article from the Weather Channel on why they name winter storms.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 12:45:56 PM

Shop at My Store

Dang, I totally missed out on Winter Storm Gandolf. Can't wait for Yogi, probably mid-March. And there's one named "Q" also. Must be a Trekkie naming some of these.

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

Spider-Man
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 1:20:05 PM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

Stupid ratings ploy.

Its bad enough that any threat of snow drives the local TV people into a frenzy, but now they will have a name to attach to that "1 to 3 inches of fluffy snow" that turned into rain.

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

Thundercron
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 8:48:16 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Spider-Man wrote:
Stupid ratings ploy.

Its bad enough that any threat of snow drives the local TV people into a frenzy, but now they will have a name to attach to that "1 to 3 inches of fluffy snow" that turned into rain.

They freak out over an inch of snow in your neck of the woods, too? I almost look forward to it anymore--get to see the New Fish sent out to the outskirts of town, where they give live demonstrations on the viscostiy of the snow. Seriously, half of China could slide into the ocean and the half-inch of snow would still be the lead story.
padreglcc
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 9:49:58 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

A half inch would shut down everything when I lived in Kentucky. Being from northern Michigan I always found that funny. I only live a few miles from Lake Michigan now and lake effect snow is pretty regular occurrence - we've had about 20 inches in the last 3 1/2 days. We don't start getting freaked out until we get over 10 inches in a single day.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
fenix1977
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 2:50:21 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

It is super fun working in a college town when the first snow of the year hits. The kids that are from areas that don't get snow freak out and act like it is the end of the world.

Mad Bloggings

MoonKnight1
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 10:25:29 AM

Shop at My Store

I hope all of our friends in the North East are coping with the wrath of Nemo!

Hall Liquidations

fenix1977
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 9:34:23 PM

It was a cluster F here for a bit. Then everyone got their ducks in a row and good old north country elbow grease got us dug out. Except where I work. They don't seem to believe in plowing.

Mad Bloggings

MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:40:10 PM

Shop at My Store

Winter Storm Hercules last week, now the movie Hercules comes out? Coincidence - or shrewd marketing ploy?

Coming soon on TWC! The adventures of Polar Vortex and Thunder Snow! Keeping the Earth safe from it's nemeses Doctor G.L. Obalwarming and his diabolical minion Ozone Hole! Anxious

Hall Liquidations

BruceReville
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 5:32:46 PM

Groups: Member

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 6:15:20 PM

Shop at My Store

BruceReville wrote:

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!!Laughing Rolling on the Floor Laughing Rolling on the Floor Laughing Rolling on the Floor Tongue

Hall Liquidations

rook68
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 11:50:48 PM

Groups: Member

You guys are hardcore. The majority of you guys battle the elements to go to your LCBS and drive miles. While I live in San Diego. Today being in the low 70's. I have no idea what it's like to battle the snow. I know how lucky I am live here. Seriously not trying to sound smug either. I just respect the things some of you do to attain your books.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

kidlippy
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 5:29:25 AM

After reading this, I just found out that in my hometown of Winnipeg just had Winter Storm Hercules. I had no idea these winter storms were being named. But after having -51 celcius (with wind chill), which I can see having a name considering how often we are getting winter storms up here.

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy

Flagwaver
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 6:57:55 AM

padreglcc wrote:
A half inch would shut down everything when I lived in Kentucky. Being from northern Michigan I always found that funny. I only live a few miles from Lake Michigan now and lake effect snow is pretty regular occurrence - we've had about 20 inches in the last 3 1/2 days. We don't start getting freaked out until we get over 10 inches in a single day.

Growing up in Louisville, I can probably count on one hand the number of times we had snow days. If we did, like in '78 and '94, it had to be at least a foot. Nowadays, kids get out at just the threat of one snowflake. Schools were closed here on Monday and Tuesday and we didn't get any of the snow they had predicted from the vortex.
kisstour03
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 7:28:14 PM

Things have finally settled down here in New Brunswick weather wise. We got pounded hard two days before Christmas with an ice storm that left a (banned) ton of people without power through Christmas. I know people that were without power for 11-12 days!!!! After the ice storm we got pounded buy a few days of snowfall. And three days ago we got a day of heavy rain to make things nice and soupy and lots of leaky roofs and a bit of flooding. And following the rain it dropped down cold and made a nice skating rink of the driveways and roads. Damn I love the Maritimes Big Grin