Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
SUMMER SUPERHERO MOVIE INSANITY!----SPOILERS GALORE Options
comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:08:36 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

So, As I mentioned in my comicaholic thread.....My son and I are trying to watch every single comic book super hero movie ever made and released on movie screens this summer.

I am going to review them all and rank them all here.
comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:09:21 PM

RANKING

1) Avengers
2) Batman
3) Man of Steel
4) Batman Begins
5) Iron Man
6) Spider Man 2
7) Superman: The Movie
8) Incredible Hulk
9) Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
10) Batman Forever
11) Amazing Spider-Man
12) Hellboy
13) Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
14) Captain America: The First Avenger
15) League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
16) X-Men: the Last Stand
17) Green Lantern
18) Ghost Rider
19) Hulk
20) Catwoman
21) The Wolverine
22) Fantastic Four
23) Spider Man 3
24) Iron Man 2
25) Superman III
26) Iron Man 3
27) Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
28) Blade Trinity
29) X-Men Origins: Wolverine
30) Batman and Robin
31) Daredevil
32) Superman 2
33) Spawn
comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:16:41 PM

The first movie we watched was CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER.

REVIEW

The Good:

It successfully captures the feel of the 1940's, at least as well as a movie like this should.

The action sequences are largely believable and exciting. My personal faves are when Cap first gains his powers and chases down the Hydra spies, ending on the submarine and some of the montage scenes when Cap and the howling Commandoes go after Hydra. Pretty cool. There is a slight loss of believability at a couple moments (when the Hydra guards fail to be able to hit Bucky and Cap from point blank range on the train, and the car chase after the super plane Cap jump off scene.

The acting of Tommy Lee Jones and Stanley Tucci. Spot on as usual.

I really enjoyed the character building early. Steve rogers as a hero and the Red Skull as a villain is clearly and well established early.

The bad:

There isn't any real riveting, suspenseful moments. The movie has very little "emotional" pull.

The deplorable aim of the bad guys. I mean, I am tired of my intelligence being insulted in movies like this. Write the scene better. Don't be lazy and just have bad guys miss constantly.

Conclusion:

This is a pretty standard C+/B- movie. It ain't great and it really doesn't bear repeated viewings, but it was enjoyable and worth the two hour investment of time.

Comic superbeings included: Bucky, Captain America, Arnim Zola, Red Skull, Dum Dum Dugan, Nick Fury
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:01:41 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Every single comic book film ever made?! Wow! That is a lofty goal indeed. There are A LOT of them, dating all the way back to the 1940s even.

BTW, Captain America: The First Avenger is a fine film. One of the better comic films of recent years, IMO. They did fantastic representing the time-period.

I also really like the 1990 Captain America film that everyone loves to make fun of. I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I remember just eating it up. And I remember it being FAAARRR better than the 1970s made-for-T.V. Captain America movies.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:10:51 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
Every single comic book film ever made?! Wow! That is a lofty goal indeed. There are A LOT of them, dating all the way back to the 1940s even.

BTW, Captain America: The First Avenger is a fine film. One of the better comic films of recent years, IMO. They did fantastic representing the time-period.

I also really like the 1990 Captain America film that everyone loves to make fun of. I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I remember just eating it up. And I remember it being FAAARRR better than the 1970s made-for-T.V. Captain America movies.

Well...Not every single one.

Just the ones that have hit modern---1970's and up----movie screens. No made for tv or video or anything.
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:12:33 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:

Agreed! There were some cheesy parts, but I seem to remember it had some pretty impressive fight scenes for a direct to video flick. And the Italian Red Skull wasn't half-bad, either.
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:14:03 PM

comicuniversity wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

Just the ones that have hit modern---1970's and up----movie screens. No made for tv or video or anything.

There's also Batman: The Movie (1966).

comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 2:47:26 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

Not sure if we're gonna try to get that one in. Funny enough, though, we actually own it. i've never watched it though. Is it horrible? does it at least have a cheesy charm?
comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 2:55:40 PM

The second movie we watched was IRON MAN 3

REVIEW

The GOOD:

The love story between Stark and Pepper Potts was effective.

The Mandarin reveal was completely unexpected.

I really liked the scene where the Iron Man remote control sute saves all the people who were blown out of the plane.

The fact that they reference the Avengers was really neat. A great "continuity" moment.

The end scene when you realize he has been talking to Bruce Banner the whole movie was kinda cool

Every scene with Jon Favreau

The BAD:

Everything else. lol.

The stupid 80's action movie plucky young kid. Seriously, the inclusion of the kid in the middle of the movie was stupid.

The way Anthony Stark just beat everybody so easily, even without Iron Man armor in the middle of the movie....completely unbelievable (again, like an 80's action movie).

The arc of the extremis people. I mean, by the end of the movie, they were essentially almost unbeatable godlike creatures, right up until the plot of the movie decreed they had to be beaten. Then, all of a sudden, they were super easy to beat.

The pathos of Stark. poorly acted.

The reveals of Killian and the doctor woman as villains. duh.

The inclusion of Don Cheadle. Such a useless part in the movie.

Conclusion:

This was a D+ movie. It wasn't very good. it had enough charm (basically Paltrow and favreau and Downey's acting) that it wasn't painful. However, it seemed rushed and lazy. Not very good at all.

Comic book Superbeign included: Aldrich Killian, War Machine/Iron Patriot, Iron Man, Mandarin, Hulk

BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 3:53:05 PM

comicuniversity wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

Not sure if we're gonna try to get that one in. Funny enough, though, we actually own it. i've never watched it though. Is it horrible? does it at least have a cheesy charm?

I don't personally like Adam West's Batman. I think it contributed greatly to the stigma that was attached to comics for many years.

But there is an entire generation of people that love it.

comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:19:36 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

I don't personally like Adam West's Batman. I think it contributed greatly to the stigma that was attached to comics for many years.

But there is an entire generation of people that love it.

I do get what you're saying, and certainly think there is validity to it.

That being said, when i was a kid I friggin' loved those shows. Corny and cheesy as could be. But, man, I loved them.
comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:26:58 PM

Then we watched IRON MAN 2

REVIEW

The GOOD:

Mickey Rourke is an awesome actor and he really brings intensity to the role of Whiplash.

The fight scenes are ALL good.

Again, the relationship between Stark and pepper is very well done.

Again, the acting of Favreau, Paltrow and Downey is excellent.

Justin Hammer was cool. When he comes dancing out before the final fight....Pretty cool.

Cheadle was really good as War Machine. I mean, he is a military man, and that isn't forgotten here.

The BAD:

Rhodey turns on his good friend Stark way too easily. It isn't believable.

Whiplash and his robot flunkies go out like punks......way too easily.

The whole "Tony vs. the government" plot is stupid. It just is played for the rah rah audience. Unnecessary and forced.

Hammer is way too friggin' stupid to be as smart as he is.

Whiplash's motivation is flimsy. The entire movie suffers for it. I mean, he totally believes everything his father says without even the tiniest bit of research.....when we know that he is brilliant and fully capable of doing said research. Stupid. Lazy writing.

CONCLUSION:

This is a throwaway popcorn movie. A straight C/C- grade. I mean, it's fun enough to watch. But, it has little depth or even over the top thrills.

Comic book superbeings included: Iron Man, War Machine, Whiplash, Black Widow, Nick Fury
The_Ghost
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 11:09:50 PM

Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Media Host, Member, Moderator

So far I agree 100% with your reviews, Drake.

Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation
comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 7:56:01 AM

Next Up-----AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

REVIEW

The GOOD:

Emma Stone. Good actress.

The bridge and the sewer fight scenes.

The Captain Stacy Arc. When he realizes Spiderman is a good guy. That was pretty cool.

Martin Sheen. Man, was he a great uncle Ben.

I liked the inclusion of so many peter parker scenes after he got his spidey powers. His supporting cast and his alter ego life wasn't just forgotten once he got his powers.

The Lizard was a believeable villain. And he looked really cool.

I loved Spiderman's motives. he wasn't simply a pure hero. He was alway trying to make up for something he felt responsible for. It felt very "real"

The bad:

everything was dark. The cinematography was poor.

I didn't like Andrew Garfield really. He wasn't horrible, but, just subpar. And he was too skinny.

The way he got his powers was beyond stupid. He is supposed to be a really smart ugy, but he just kinda hangs out and plays in the room full of dayglo spiders? stupid.

Everyone knows he's spider man. I mean, why even wear the mask?

There isn't enough impact from the death of Uncle Ben. It's just like....he dies. Peter and Aunt May are sad for a night . Then it is all over.

Conclusion: B- movie. Good. Not great.

Comic Book Superbeings included: Spider-Man, Lizard

comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 1:42:09 AM

INCREDIBLE HULK

REVIEW

The GOOD:

I loved the representations of the Hulk, and especialy the Abomination.

The "Leader" tease was cool.

Thunderbolt Ross' relentless pursuit. Very effective.

Tim Roth is great.

The fight scenes are ALL good, even the first one in the bottling plant.

The Hulk is a HERO!! YAY!

The end scene where Norton (banner) looks at the screne and smiles as he starts to Hulk out was way cool.

Vagabond Banner.

Smart banner. It is fun to see Banner being portrayed as a competent guy in his own right. I mean, he is one of the smartest guys in the world.

The reaction of the outside world to super beings.

LOOOVVEED when Hulk pulls the Thundercap to put out the helicopter fire and save everyone.

The BAD:

I don't like the acting of Norton, Hurt or Tyler. Really at all. I thought Hurt as Ross was almost cartoonish and Tyler can't act for crap.

Betsy's unswerving faith in the friggin' Hulk. It's unrealistic.

Why does Banner trust "Mr. Blue"? Doesn't make sense.
I mean, he spends his whole life, dedicates his whole life to keeping the Hulk blood out of anyone elses hands....except for this nameless doctor from some university that he has never even met. Stupid.

Conclusion:

B. I liked this movie a lot. real goods comicy booky movie.

Comic book Superbeings included: Hulk, Iron Man, Abomination, Leader

comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 9:34:08 AM

LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN

REVIEW

The GOOD:

The way the League was formed. It was neat to watch all these great characters come together.

Pretty Much any scene Mr. Hyde was in. The special effets for his fight scene with the giant evil monster guy was great. The scene where Hyde could hear the underlying noise on the Phantom's device when noone else could. "Henry. Please. Turn it off." The original scene where Sawyer and Quartermain are chasing him through the city. Good stuff.

The plan of the villain and the way he carried it out was believeable and well written.

The cinematogrpahy was excellent. It was a...comforting....movie.

The reveal of Dorian Gray as the traitor was unexpected.

The Invisible Man. Again, cool, just like Hyde.

I liked the globetrotting feel of the movie.

Captain Nemo and his tech. Watching the Nautilus cruise through the water and watching it's tracking system work. Really cool.

The scene where the League is rushing to stop the Phantom in Venice. Rivetting.

Sean Connery

the BAD:

Quartermain and Sawyers father-son relationship was forced.

The phantom seemed to put himself in harms way an awful lot. It seemed to make more sense for him to use his flunkies more.

Conclusion:

This is a C+ movie. pretty good. and far better than I Remember it.

comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 9:44:15 AM

DAREDEVIL

REVIEW

The GOOD: There ain't much of it

Some of the fight scenes with Bullseye are pretty good.

Matt's relationship with his dad is a little engaging.

Jon Favreau as Foggy Nelson. Favreau is gold in super hero movies.

The special effects for Daredevil's radar sense.

The BAD:

ALL of the acting except Favreau. Affleck and Farrell are especially horrible.

Elektra's death. so stupid and needless. Daredevil knew she was in danger far ahead of time, but, somehow failed to save her.

The final fight with the kingpin. Matt just walks into his office and they fight. This is the most powerful criminal in the city of New York. And Murdock just walks into his office.

Bullseyes craziness. Just soooo poorly acted and written.

The special effects surrounding the athletic ability of the characters was horrible. watching the characters jump around and do flips and stuff loooked stupid.

The entire arc of elektra and her father was stupid and forced.

How quickly and easily MAtthew Murdock gets proficient in the use of his new abilities as a child.

The fact, that, even with his hyper senses, he, for some reason doesnt notice the bad guys about to kill his father, even though he was, like, ten feet away. Stupid.

Joe Pantoliano as the reporter who figures it all out. No scene with him was even remotely good. Stupid part. poorrly written. Poorly acted.

CONCLUSION:

F+ This movie really sucked. I mean, it was bad.
Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 10:52:59 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

comicuniversity wrote:
DAREDEVIL

REVIEW

The GOOD: There ain't much of it

Some of the fight scenes with Bullseye are pretty good.

Matt's relationship with his dad is a little engaging.

Jon Favreau as Foggy Nelson. Favreau is gold in super hero movies.

The special effects for Daredevil's radar sense.

The BAD:

ALL of the acting except Favreau. Affleck and Farrell are especially horrible.

Elektra's death. so stupid and needless. Daredevil knew she was in danger far ahead of time, but, somehow failed to save her.

The final fight with the kingpin. Matt just walks into his office and they fight. This is the most powerful criminal in the city of New York. And Murdock just walks into his office.

Bullseyes craziness. Just soooo poorly acted and written.

The special effects surrounding the athletic ability of the characters was horrible. watching the characters jump around and do flips and stuff loooked stupid.

The entire arc of elektra and her father was stupid and forced.

How quickly and easily MAtthew Murdock gets proficient in the use of his new abilities as a child.

The fact, that, even with his hyper senses, he, for some reason doesnt notice the bad guys about to kill his father, even though he was, like, ten feet away. Stupid.

Joe Pantoliano as the reporter who figures it all out. No scene with him was even remotely good. Stupid part. poorrly written. Poorly acted.

CONCLUSION:

F+ This movie really sucked. I mean, it was bad.

Is this the Director's Cut? Director's Cut is more than a couple deleted scenes--it's thirty minutes longer with sequentially re-edited scenes that makes it almost a totally different movie.
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 11:57:14 AM

No. I'm only watching the theatrical releases of these movies.

Although, I have heard the director's cut is better before too. You think I should give it a watch?

---Although, the dialogue is horrible. i mean, horrible. The acting is really, really bad. The special effects (with the exception of DD's radar sense) is laughable.
The director's cut would have to be the best director's cut of all time. lol.
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 12:09:08 PM

MAN OF STEEL

REVIEW

THe GOOD:

JOR EL! Mother Freaking Jor El. Jor friggin' El was sooooo cool. The scene where he walks out of the council chamber and all hell is breaking loose on Krypton and he confidently summons his "ride". AWESOME. And, later when he is merged with the ships systems on board Zod's ship and helps Lois escape and tells her how to beat Zod and his Kryptonian lackeys. OMG!

The fight scene in Smallville between Superman, Faora, Quex-ul and the American Army was one of the better fight scenes you're ever gonna see in a superhero movie. Faora's speed. Superman's bravery. Quex-Ul's power. The steadfastness of the military in the face of ridiculous odds.
"This man is not our enemy." indeed.

Lois piecing together the "mystery mans's" legendary past.

The destructive power of the world Machine.

Superman telling the general at the end that he'll be around and he'll help Earth, but he won't be controlled...and the not so gentle way he does it.

The music. God. The music was amazing.

Kevin Costner as a slightly misguided Pa Kent.

Superman rising up and destroying the world machine....literally, defying gravity and the laws of physics. And, his triumphal roar as he does it.

The back story of Krypton.

Emil Hamilton figuring out how to fire off the Phantom Drive at the end.

Perry White pounding Lois over journalistic ethics....brought a little reality to a larger than life movie.

The sheer power of the characters really came across well on screen.

The BAD:

The end fight with Zod seemed tacked on and unnessecary.

The way Pa kent died also seemed kind of unnecessary.

The fights are so destructive. In particular, when Supes and Zod fight it out at the end, the essentially destroy an entire, populate city. And there is no mention about how many innocents died as a result of that fight, and how guilty Kal would feel because of it.

CONCLUSION:

This was a phenomenal movie. A-