Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Thoughts on DC New 52 At This Point Options
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:59:20 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

I'm curious to see what everyone's thoughts are on DC's New 52 now that we're this far into it? We're at a point where all the shiny newness should have worn off.

So, what do you guys think?

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
comicscastle
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:28:08 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

I was against the idea at the beginning, probably because I'm an old timer that doesn't like the status quo to be interrupted. That being said I have actually enjoyed most titles as much or more than before. I especially like Earth 2 and Worlds Finest. I'm very pleased with the new direction (and age) of the JSA members.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

outcast
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:02:07 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

Well, for the most part, it's not for me. This is the third time (Crisis, Zero Hour, and now New 52) that DC has betrayed me by saying "Just kidding!" about years' worth of stories into which I had invested considerable money, time, and loyalty. I've had just about enough.

Exceptions include Batwoman (when the art is by the brilliant J.H. Williams III), Legion of Super-Heroes (precisely because it did NOT abandon its roots, at least until the impending final issue), Earth 2 (until Robinson leaves), and Worlds' Finest.

I am so weary of trying to follow a narrative thread through a universe's worth of titles, that my monthly review in Previews of DC's and Marvel's upcoming issues now amounts to little more than flipping straight to the "collected editions" sections. I am now doing what once would have unthinkable for me; I am shifting my attention to Image Comics, with its array of self-contained, creator-driven titles. We'll see how this works out.

I did buy some Justice League issues while Jim Lee was drawing it. The art was pretty, but the story seemed awfully thin.

In my opinion, the whole thing was oversold, and is being sadly under-executed.
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:31:32 PM

I'm not happy with it just because it's not MY DC Universe. I am familiar with that world and those characters, and I liked that. I don't know these new characters. And while my favorite books, the Green Lantern books, were barely chaged at all, it seemed the stories weren't as good as they were before the change.

That said, I am still enjoying the Green Lantern books, nonetheless, even if they aren't quite as good as they were before. And I'm enjoying Earth 2. However, things seem a little slow-moving in Earth 2.

Justice League I didn't like. It didn't feel like it lived up the title. The artwork is absolutely phenomenal. But the stories just seem kind of simplistic to me. I expect bigger and badder threats with the JL. Superman is, well, average. It's not bad, but it's not particularly good.

I haven't been following Batman or Wonder Woman. But I did just start on Batman with the first issue to Batman: Year Zero, which wasn't bad.

Captain Atom and Firestorm I wish I had followed. But on the bright side, it won't be hard to track down the back-issues since those books were already cancelled. I did get the first couple issues of both books, but then cut them due to my budget and trying to limit my comic purchases.

kisstour03
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:39:05 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

The New 52 started just a couple of months after I got back into reading comics after a many many years layoff from the hobby. A couple of my pals told me about this "reboot". And I wasn't too interested as I hadnever been a big DC guy when I was younger. I was only planning on reading a Hulk comic now and then. HA!!!! Well that didn't last long. I picked up, I think, Justice League #1 and liked it a lot. So then grabbed Flash, Wonder Woman, Detective Comics, All-Star Western, and so on. I've enjoyed almost everything I tried and still do. So I guess the New 52 is a winner for me. And I'm officially a "DC Guy" now I guess as I read way more of their books than my beloved Marvel. Is it perfect? No. Is every issue of every book a knock out hit? No. But no comic is always. Some guys harp about how books are getting cancelled after short runs. But that's always how it's worked isn't it? A few core titles that stay around forever and a bunch of ones that last a few years or a few months.

Favorites I can't wait for every month: Earth 2, World's Finest, Batwoman, Batgirl (my current favorite #1 title from DC), Aquaman.

Favorites that have been cancelled and I'm still not happy about it: Resurrection Man (really miss this one), Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E. (I still growl over this one being gone), Savage Hawkman (a decent writer could have done so much with this one), Demon Knights (I bought the first trade of this and now I'll wait till it's done and pick up the issues later to finish reading the run)
Atilla2k
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:57:45 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I didn't like the direction they took Zatanna (in Justice League Dark) and I'm not enjoying Justice League or Justice League of America, but I love Wonder Woman and Green Lantern.

Tamwood
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:59:25 PM

I miss Stephanie.
Xylob
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 3:37:37 AM

Almost two years in and I still feel like I'm waiting for something to happen...
When is this first date going to end?
As others have already said here, Earth 2 is great.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
icarus201
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 6:22:10 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host

Still not touching it. Hate to say it, but even I miss the "old DC".

Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 11:55:42 AM

Xylob wrote:
Almost two years in and I still feel like I'm waiting for something to happen...
When is this first date going to end?

Perfect analogy. It feels like reading Spawn. After 30 issues in I was like "When the hell is Spawn gonna face Malebolgia already?" And New 52 has that same feeling of things just getting set-up, for way too long.

Xylob
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 3:20:07 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
It feels like reading Spawn...
YES!

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
ukblueky
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 3:33:38 PM

Groups: Member

The reboot turned me onto a few titles that I would not have been interested in otherwise (Aquaman,Nightwing). Both Nightwing and Aquaman have been exceptional in my opinion. Other titles I feel have been great month to month (well Death Of The Family aside) are Batman, Green Lantern, and Flash. Detective Comics has been good for the most part but there has been a dull issue or two. Justice League started out strong but it has gotten progressively worse ever single issue. Teen Titans and Red Hood and the Outlaws were guilty of the same thing so I dropped them around issue 16 or 17. Gave various other titles a fair shot before dumping them. I actually liked George Perez's Superman but he left early on and I did not care for the new creative team. Hated Action Comics from issue 1. Long story short. For the most part I still like the reboot, but I read less then 10 DC titles.

Grwurz
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2013 8:19:18 PM

I think the revamp gave somewhat of a boost to some titles for a while but, after the hype faded, the readership settled on the same 10-15 core titles that they were reading before the reboot.

I think some people thought that all 52 of the titles in the new line were going to become awesome. That obviously didn't happen. It's also probably too much to expect with 52 monthly titles. Plus with the different tastes out there, its bound that there are going to be a few stinkers that have a small but loyal following.

Other than some of the issues that DC is having with some creators, I think DC is probably just about where they were before the whole reboot happened.

Free shipping is available on ANY order $40.00 and above. No minimum books necessary. Whether it's 1 book or 100 books. If it's $40.00 or more, it ships FREE!

Also, if you buy 10 or more $1.00 books, all the $1.00 books are 25% off. Effectively making them $.75 books! I've got hundreds of them!

Come take a look!
Shadowdodger
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:38:35 PM

Being a former "Marvel guy" the New 52 gave me an opportunity to check out characters that I always thought were cool but felt like I was too late to the party.

Currently, my DC pull-list consists of:
Aquaman
Batman
Flash
Justice League
Justice League of America
Nightwing
Teen Titans

A couple of these titles (JL and TT) are in jeopardy of being cut. I'll give them a few more issues to turn themselves around. A couple titles I'm curious about: Green Arrow and Savage Hawkman - any good? Worth checking out?

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 9:43:39 AM

Savage Hawkman ended last month with Issue #20.

Shizz
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 2:49:11 PM

I asked my LCS couple weeks ago about this as far as sales go, and he said that all the DC books have cooled down quite a bit and Marvel is back on top by far again. Which surprised me cause all the books I get and see being put out aren't anything to be proud of.
BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:03:09 PM

Shizz wrote:
I asked my LCS couple weeks ago about this as far as sales go, and he said that all the DC books have cooled down quite a bit and Marvel is back on top by far again. Which surprised me cause all the books I get and see being put out aren't anything to be proud of.

I had just asked the same question last week to my guy.

He said the sales have gone down since the initial spike in sales when DC switched over. But he also said they're still doing better than they were before New 52.

teh_longinator
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:25:42 PM

I'm on it for some, and off it for others.

Currently my DC Pull-List is as follows:
Batman, Batman and Robin, Batman Beyond, Batman Inc, Batman: The Dark Knight, Constantine, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern New Guardians, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Nightwing, and Phantom Stranger.

I'm debating whether to drop Batman and Robin. It started off strong, but starting at Court of the Owls, it just seems like a tie-in tool. They didn't even cover the death of Damian in this title, just the aftermath. And if you didn't already KNOW Damian died in Batman Inc, then it was just a "WTF" moment.

Also probably going to drop Detective, Dark Knight (Although I DO like the insight it gives into the histories of the baddies), GL: Corps, Justice League, Justice League Dark, and Phantom Stranger.

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:18:07 PM

I need DC to put Zatanna back the way she was before the new 52, she's a shell of her former self! Oh and BTW- where the heck has Plastic Man been? Dude's one of my favorite characters.

rook68
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 12:55:11 AM

I am cool with the 52. Like some past posts. I have always been a Marvel guy. Being late to the party but now I have Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Aquaman and Justice League in my comic buy pile. I am enjoying the stories and the art.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson