Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Spouses and collecting Options
Brainiac5
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:40:30 PM

Groups: Member

How does your spouse view your hobby? Mine is not a superhero buff but she does go to the comics store with me and to the antiques mall because she is interested in Emergency!, Adam-12, Dragnet, and Dark Shadows and does collect things from those shows. I made her day when I came home with two of the four 1970s Emergency! comics from Charlton that I purchase for 10 bucks for both.

How do you handle collecting and marriage?
MoonKnight1
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:46:03 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I'm not married but my girlfriend kindly allows me to amass tons of comics. At my house of course! I have tried luring her into the comic world but so far no luck. The best I have been able to do at this point is get her to watch some of the movies.Dancing

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:48:40 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

My wife is not into comics or video games, but she more than tolerates it. I have an entire room that's my man-cave and is full of comic book and video games stuff.

She even went to WonderCon with me one year, with a full weekend pass! She's pretty awesome.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Xylob
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:01:26 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Brainiac5 wrote:
How does your spouse view your hobby?
With horror, disgust, and utter confusion... much like I view her collecting habits for shoes, purses, belts, etc. So, like Nate's wife, she tolerates it fairly well.
Brainiac5 wrote:
Mine is not a superhero buff but she does go to the comics store with me and to the antiques mall...
Mine too, fortunately. In fact, she even went with me on my birthday to visit the local comic shop during our trip to Munich.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
comicscastle
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:14:45 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

My wife (#2) is from China and has no problem with my comics. In fact she reads Archie comics as a way to learn everyday English and really enjoys them. She loves all the superhero movies and even offers to help me with my CCL store and my subscription service. She loves going to comic shows and takes hundreds of pictures, even of the hot girls (she knows what I like). After the disaster that was wife #1 I couldn't have found a better wife #2 if I had advertised for her. I am a lucky guy in so many ways.Dancing

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

freakdylan
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:24:37 PM

Man I wish my wife liked comics but she hates them as well as my collecting them. She only puts up with it because when my ASM collection is complete it will eventually be sold to help us pay for our house in the country.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:43:49 PM

freakdylan wrote:
Man I wish my wife liked comics but she hates them as well as my collecting them. She only puts up with it because when my ASM collection is complete it will eventually be sold to help us pay for our house in the country.

Really? Why sell something you've worked so hard on?

freakdylan
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:45:20 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
freakdylan wrote:

lol, eventually will have to go, cant take them with me when dead. Its more of an OCD with me then anything. I love spidey but love my wife and kids more. I will cry though and miss all my spideys something fierce but will then probably start all over but with just readers copies so can read them when retired from 1-700+ (+ is because superior sucks and will eventually go back to ASM, lol)

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

ratrapp
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:38:15 PM

i'm with xylob on this one.
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:59:56 PM

freakdylan wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
freakdylan wrote:

lol, eventually will have to go, cant take them with me when dead. Its more of an OCD with me then anything. I love spidey but love my wife and kids more. I will cry though and miss all my spideys something fierce but will then probably start all over but with just readers copies so can read them when retired from 1-700+ (+ is because superior sucks and will eventually go back to ASM, lol)

amen brother.
back on topic... my wife tolerates. she lets me have the basement to my self. however shes made chill out on the collecting a bit. now i just get current books if i can find a decent priced ASM i'll buy it but at this point i'm just missing key books so i'll pick up a variant cover here and there. unlike dylan i'll keep my books in hope that my son or daughter picks up the torch after i'm gone.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

Brainiac5
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:02:32 PM

So, my wife wants to go to the comics store antiques mall TOMORROW to check on some of the TV/comics tie-ins she likes and I've already expended my personal budget for comics this month.
kisstour03
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:53:45 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I really lucked out. My wife more than tolerates my collecting addiction...I mean hobby. She collects stuff too. She loves old toys, vintage Coca-Cola, The Beatles, Cheech & Chong, Barbie, Nancy Drew and guitars. When we were house hunting early last year any place we looked at she would go into a room and say "This would be a good toy/comic/gun room for you." As far as budget goes our only rule for each other is that the fridge needs to have food in it, car is gassed up and the bills paid up first. Anything left out of each others paycheque is free to do whatever with. Weather save it for a rainy day of binge on comics and toys.

I have friends who's wives are more like moms. They have to run EVERYTHING by them first. Everything from buying tires for the car to going out with his buddies to having a good fart. I thank Sari every day for being so cool and weird. She makes life more fun.
Brainiac5
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:17:45 PM

My budget is pretty simple.I buy one comic at the antique mall, one at a comics shop nearby and one off of ebay. I never spend over ten bucks on any one comic.
ukblueky
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 6:03:42 AM

My wife is a good sport about my collection. I'm sure she doesn't really get it but she lets me without much hassle. She has absolutely ZERO interest in them but she'll watch the movies, and for the most part has enjoyed them. I think her enjoying the movies has gave her a slight understanding on why I collect/read comics. Of course she has her geek things too so this helps. She likes going to EYECON (the Vampire Diaries cast signing and events). Of course me being the one that brings home the cheddar really helps.Laughing

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 9:55:05 AM

Brainiac5 wrote:
My budget is pretty simple.I buy one comic at the antique mall, one at a comics shop nearby and one off of ebay. I never spend over ten bucks on any one comic.

man i wish i was that simple. lol

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

BruceReville
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 10:01:28 AM

My wife searches Ebay/CCL/Multiple Online Comic shops to help me find good deals on back issues I am needing for my collection. All I have to do is give her an updated "NEED" list Dancing

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

Khaine
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 10:48:41 AM

my wife is okay with my comics. I don't have a ton (yet).

my girls are into comics to a point (archie, my little pony, spongebob) and we all went to the philly comic con this year (got a military discount to that too)
fenix1977
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 12:28:34 PM

She is ok with it. As long as I don't go off the deep end. My comic book room is the most organized and clean room in the house..mostly because I keep her out of it.

Mad Bloggings

SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 12:34:00 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

fenix1977 wrote:
My comic book room is the most organized and clean room in the house..mostly because I keep her out of it.

+1

My wife and I met because of JoeQuesada's old message board.

Long story short, she was a comic reader until she moved in with me, a serious comic collector. Then it became all too ridiculous for her and she lost some interest. Then they never brought Jean Grey back and she just gave up completely. Even on Fables, her favorite series ever.

Of course my theory is that it's just something I like, so she need to not like it. That's how being married works, right?

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 12:47:45 PM

fenix1977 wrote:
She is ok with it. As long as I don't go off the deep end. My comic book room is the most organized and clean room in the house..mostly because I keep her out of it.

Laughing

Too true at my house, too. My wife isn't so much dirty, as she is a clutterer, though. And part of that is me being OCD about my collection.