Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » CCL News » Comic Conventions! » Taking comics to cons
Inking_Zanziber
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:10:47 PM
Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Location: Salem, Oregon
Joined: 2/15/2009 | Posts: 528 | Points: 12,242
How do you normally transport your comics to get signed when you go to cons?

In the past, I haven't had a need to deal with this problem, but I'm going to a con in September where I've already pulled about 1/2 of a small box... and they're still announcing more guests. I've been able to pack them in my backpack while I'm at the actual con, but I was wondering what other methods people use.

Thanx!
Tamwood
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:13:21 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
Location: Indiana
Joined: 11/13/2009 | Posts: 1,868 | Points: 178,227
I don't normally take books to shows to have them signed. I'd rather focus on getting a sketch or something like that. However, I have seen people take actual boxes to shows. I shake my head at them when I see them ... people carrying around longboxes, or wheeling them around on dolly carts.

You might consider something like that. Or, just not take as many books. :)
Thundercron
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:30:42 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Joined: 9/14/2008 | Posts: 3,225 | Points: 37,800
Shop at My Store
Laptop carrying cases are perfect size for a small stack of comics. Fancy grocery store paper sacks with the handles on the top work well for more books.

Sounds like you'll be stuck carting around a short box, though. If you are friendly with any dealer there, you can ask to store your box behind his table when you don't want to haul it around.
Inking_Zanziber
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:42:46 PM
Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Location: Salem, Oregon
Joined: 2/15/2009 | Posts: 528 | Points: 12,242
Thundercron wrote:
If you are friendly with any dealer there, you can ask to store your box behind his table when you don't want to haul it around.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. I never thought about that. My LCS is going to have a booth.

Thank you for the great idea! :)
freakdylan
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:17:45 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Joined: 6/4/2012 | Posts: 1,184 | Points: 7,036
I use my daughters "Pretty Pony" backpack. Its small but comics fit perfectly, plus it lights up when I walk Laughing

Also you know NOBODY is going to steal it.


The_Valiant_One
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:20:45 PM
Rank: Administration
Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller
Joined: 6/7/2007 | Posts: 5,099 | Points: 139,445
Shop at My Store
Inking_Zanziber wrote:
How do you normally transport your comics to get signed when you go to cons?

In the past, I haven't had a need to deal with this problem, but I'm going to a con in September where I've already pulled about 1/2 of a small box... and they're still announcing more guests. I've been able to pack them in my backpack while I'm at the actual con, but I was wondering what other methods people use.

Thanx!


I use black folders with Velcro snaps designed to hold about 20 comics out of the package nice and snug. It's a little heavy, but easy to keep them bundled together. They are available from our local distributor here in Nashville.

Asking a dealer you know to store your stuff is really the way to go. Just don't go overboard with your request! :)






Steve Boyd
VP/CCL

You can reach us by phone at (615) 264-4747 ext 103
and you can e-mail us at helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com


Check out my official CCL YouTube show:SUPER MEGA COMIC ACTION NEWS AT MIDNIGHT!
Thundercron
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:32:24 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Joined: 9/14/2008 | Posts: 3,225 | Points: 37,800
Shop at My Store
Inking_Zanziber wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
If you are friendly with any dealer there, you can ask to store your box behind his table when you don't want to haul it around.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. I never thought about that. My LCS is going to have a booth.

Thank you for the great idea! :)


I just noticed you're in Oregon. Would you be speaking of thr Rose City Comic Con you plan on attending?
Inking_Zanziber
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:49:48 PM
Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Location: Salem, Oregon
Joined: 2/15/2009 | Posts: 528 | Points: 12,242
Thundercron wrote:
Inking_Zanziber wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
If you are friendly with any dealer there, you can ask to store your box behind his table when you don't want to haul it around.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. I never thought about that. My LCS is going to have a booth.

Thank you for the great idea! :)


I just noticed you're in Oregon. Would you be speaking of thr Rose City Comic Con you plan on attending?


Bingo! :)
Flagwaver
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:22:12 PM
Rank: Eternal
Groups: Member
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Joined: 8/2/2010 | Posts: 260 | Points: 35,301
I used to use a three-ring binder with comic-size sleeves carried in a Jansport backpack. I then used my Targus laptop backpack, sans laptop, because it had several sections to hold the books. Unless you want to come off as a real douche, I strongly advise against using a wheeled cart. I've seen people use wheeled luggage to carry their books in and had them filled to the brim. A small con might not be a problem but someplace like SDCC it is idiocy, which is why they are forbidden on the con floor.
jhorsley3
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:37:12 PM
Rank: Metahuman
Groups: Member
Location: Seattle, WA
Joined: 6/20/2007 | Posts: 194 | Points: 665
I will take a few, or rather my son does.

Typically I try to buy them from the artist I want them signed from, so they get something out of it. Or I buy a sketch or something.
Like our facebook page: Th3 Comics
ocphil
Saturday, July 27, 2013 3:23:04 AM
Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member
Joined: 5/24/2011 | Posts: 129 | Points: 387
Hard brief case, or at least hard plastic manila folder carrying case.
Shwnclrk
Wednesday, August 07, 2013 4:46:10 AM
Rank: Newbie
Groups: Member
Joined: 8/7/2013 | Posts: 1 | Points: 3
I use Comic box or acid free material's bags because don't want to take any risk with my comic book colors.Always keep it in cool dry place. Check them whenever you get time some color bleeding comics spoil others books as well.
Users browsing this topic
Guest

Forum Jump

Access

You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.247 seconds.
(0.133 seconds)

All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2015, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO231