Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Racism not welcome in Sports Options
MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:49:38 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I can't say that I'm a basketball fan. There's nothing wrong with it, NBA and college teams have huge fan bases, it's just not my thing. To each his own.

I have to say, however, that I am extremely impressed with new NBA commissioner Adam Silver. I watched his press conference live yesterday and just hearing the barely controlled fury in his voice and finding out the crushing punishment that he meted out on Donald Sterling made me stand up and clap.

There is no place in sports, or anywhere for that matter, for racism. Mr. Sterling is a bigoted, hypocritical scumbag and his archaic prejudices reveal his true character or lack thereof. Outside of basketball he has been known to refuse housing to minorities. What kind of monster would deny basic necessities to anyone based on their skin color?

He doesn't like minorities but owns a team in a league that is at least 2/3 African-American and his girlfriend (currently being sued by Mrs. Sterling Hypnotized ) is half black and half Mexican. You can't get much more minority than that. Stupid.

He should have been ousted years ago but better late than never. He deserves the lifetime suspension even though, at 80+ years old, it can probably be measured more easily in months than years.

Doesn't mean I'm a basketball fan now but I do have a new found respect. Applause

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 9:51:13 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

The most dangerous part of this sad story is all the Donald sterling apologists. I talk and listen and watch a lot of sports and I have heard this.......I am not condoning what he did, BUT.....and then listened to the person condoning what he did.
Racism continues because people justify and excuse it. Donald sterling is a bigot, who happens to have a high profile and lots of influence because of his wealth. However, the fact that so many people of more modest means and influence listen to this guy and excuse his awful behavior......well...thats a much more insidious problem
kidlippy
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 9:52:37 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I have been paying attention to this and was surprised on the outcome. It should have happened years ago to this scumbag, but like MoonKnight said...better late then never.
There's no place for that attitude and behavior, not just in sports but in our world. This "man" is a very stupid person. Good riddance.

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy

ukblueky
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 10:47:01 AM

Groups: Member

I don't know the man or know the full story, so I may have the facts wrong. From what I gather what he said about an all white league was said in a private conversation between him and his girlfriend. Then she went and outed his private conversation. If this is truly the case then no I cannot condone any type of penalty against him from the NBA for this particular incident. It doesn't matter if I, or the rest of the world, find it horrid, hateful or just plain ol' insane. It was something a person said in a private conversation with another person. Now if he had called a press conference, gave a tv or magazine interview or even went to the NBA commissioner and said these things then yes the NBA would be completely justified in dolling out a penalty. But from what I gather he didn't do any of those things. To me this is kinda scary. If we as Americans are not free to have our own opinions, no matter how stupid or hateful they are then what good are our rights and freedoms?
This is in no regards to his housing discriminating, which is very illegal and immoral.
Actually this bozo should be allowed to create his "all white" basketball league. This way it would fail miserably and he would lose his fortune. No one would watch an all white basketball game. Heck NBA teams are so desperate to fill seats right now that in some of the play off games the Pacers lowered ticket prices to 7 bucks to put butts in the seats. To me real justice is this guy getting his wish and losing a ton of money not a suspension.

comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 10:53:54 AM

ukblueky wrote:
I don't know the man or know the full story, so I may have the facts wrong. From what I gather what he said about an all white league was said in a private conversation between him and his girlfriend. Then she went and outed his private conversation. If this is truly the case then no I cannot condone any type of penalty against him from the NBA for this particular incident. It doesn't matter if I, or the rest of the world, find it horrid, hateful or just plain ol' insane. It was something a person said in a private conversation with another person. Now if he had called a press conference, gave a tv or magazine interview or even went to the NBA commissioner and said these things then yes the NBA would be completely justified in dolling out a penalty. But from what I gather he didn't do any of those things. To me this is kinda scary. If we as Americans are not free to have our own opinions, no matter how stupid or hateful they are then what good are our rights and freedoms?
This is in no regards to his housing discriminating, which is very illegal and immoral.
Actually this bozo should be allowed to create his "all white" basketball league. This way it would fail miserably and he would lose his fortune. No one would watch an all white basketball game. Heck NBA teams are so desperate to fill seats right now that in some of the play off games the Pacers lowered ticket prices to 7 bucks to put butts in the seats. To me real justice is this guy getting his wish and losing a ton of money not a suspension.

You're missing something, I think. Noone said he isn't allowed to have his own hateful beliefs. He can continue hating black people for no reason all he wants. He's not going to jail or anything.

The NBA, as a professional organization, decided (rightly) that those beliefs have no place in their business.
Especially when you consider that the NBA's income is based largely on public relations, they are wise to make this move. The NBA has actual by laws dealing with things like this. I won't pretend to know them, but I do know they have them. What you do and say off the court (so to speak) can reflect poorly on the league. Thus, they can punish you.
ukblueky
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 4:47:42 PM

comicuniversity wrote:
ukblueky wrote:

You're missing something, I think. Noone said he isn't allowed to have his own hateful beliefs. He can continue hating black people for no reason all he wants. He's not going to jail or anything.

The NBA, as a professional organization, decided (rightly) that those beliefs have no place in their business.
Especially when you consider that the NBA's income is based largely on public relations, they are wise to make this move. The NBA has actual by laws dealing with things like this. I won't pretend to know them, but I do know they have them. What you do and say off the court (so to speak) can reflect poorly on the league. Thus, they can punish you.

You may be correct. I just think a persons own private conversation away from his or her job should be just that,private. Now if fans wanted to boycott the team or if a player wanted to be traded because of what this guy said I fully understand and condone that. I just have a rub that a person can be punished for an idea of theirs that was spoke in private away from their job. I just think the NBA trampled on privacy and free speech in the name of the all mighty dollar. Like I mentioned earlier I don't know the full story. I don't know the laws and rules of being an owner of a NBA team. Maybe you have to sign contracts stating that you can be held accountable for anything you say at any time in your life. If thats the case than yes the NBA has the right to do what they did. I guess the "where and how" what was said is whats important to me, not what was said. Plus I don't understand what his punishment was from the NBA. A suspension? How do you give an owner a suspension? Isn't he going to still make his millions, hows that a punishment?

comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:06:56 PM

ukblueky wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
ukblueky wrote:

You may be correct. I just think a persons own private conversation away from his or her job should be just that,private. Now if fans wanted to boycott the team or if a player wanted to be traded because of what this guy said I fully understand and condone that. I just have a rub that a person can be punished for an idea of theirs that was spoke in private away from their job. I just think the NBA trampled on privacy and free speech in the name of the all mighty dollar. Like I mentioned earlier I don't know the full story. I don't know the laws and rules of being an owner of a NBA team. Maybe you have to sign contracts stating that you can be held accountable for anything you say at any time in your life. If thats the case than yes the NBA has the right to do what they did. I guess the "where and how" what was said is whats important to me, not what was said. Plus I don't understand what his punishment was from the NBA. A suspension? How do you give an owner a suspension? Isn't he going to still make his millions, hows that a punishment?

If you're a bigot, you're a bigot. Time and place are superfluous.
It would, maybe, be a little less damning if he was making some kind of joke...but, and I heard the entire conversation (a local station broadcast it yesterday.). This guy even went so far as to suggest his current, ahem, ladyfriend get a procedure done that would remove the part of her ancestry that suggests something other than white/European descent.
ukblueky
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:15:48 PM

Yes your bigot no matter what but you shouldn't be fired for being a bigot at home. A bigot at work,wrong and illegal-fired. A bigot at home,wrong but not illegal-not fired. Thats my point. Sorry but in order for you and me to have our freedom then the jerk gets his as well. I believe this does fall into a freedom of speech case if the facts I've heard are actual facts.

comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:48:59 PM

You do have a point.
and....I would bet my life that this guy has made many racist comments in private that have stayed private. And he has not been called to task for any of those comments.
this time, though, his comments became public. And he is getting called to task for these ones.
kidlippy
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 10:00:33 AM

comicuniversity wrote:
You do have a point.
and....I would bet my life that this guy has made many racist comments in private that have stayed private. And he has not been called to task for any of those comments.
this time, though, his comments became public. And he is getting called to task for these ones.

Me and my friends were talking about that yesterday. Sterling must of said something to his GF about Magic (and other black guys) mainly because why would she be recording this particular conversation?

I have read the NBA has been wanting to get rid of Sterling from the NBA for years and this was the only chance of doing that.

MoonKnight1
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 11:08:16 AM

Shop at My Store

I will say that in this country you are allowed Free Speech. But you also have to accept the consequences if you decide to say certain things. You can't shout "Fire" in a crowded theater, don't yell "Hi" to your friend Jack in an airport, don't call in a bomb threat, you can say, "I wish the President was dead" but you can't say, "I am going to kill the President" - these things are frowned upon. (Note to the NSA - I am NOT threatening the President, merely making an analogyAnxious )

You can call someone the N-word and get away with it - unless you are a sports broadcaster, ex-sitcom actor or prominent TV Chef. If I were to use that word at my job (not that I would) I wouldn't get fired. People would lose respect for me but that's probably it. There's a reason why the KKK wear hoods. They know that if their identity was known then people would no longer frequent their establishments or vote for them. It is my understanding that Sterling knew he was being taped which makes his statements even more puzzling.

As someone stated before, the NBA does have a Constitution and honestly I have no idea what's in it but the important thing is that Adam Silver does. A private company has the right to terminate employees for infractions in their contract. Apparently there was an infraction and Sterling is basically an employee.

In this case the NBA simply had to act, and act swiftly and decisively. The league was facing player walkouts, fan boycotts and sponsors dropping like flies. So yes, absolutely money had at least something to do with it. Image as well, after all - image is everything especially in that town and that league.

Fifty years ago his comments wouldn't have gotten the same response as they have now. Probably wouldn't be a recording first and even if the things he said surfaced it probably wouldn't have created much of a ripple. Things have changed - and for the better.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

MoonKnight1
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 11:17:20 AM

Shop at My Store

By the way, this is a great conversation and no name calling! Applause
See, we can discuss serious topics. Big Grin

Hall Liquidations

BruceReville
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 2:54:59 PM

BAN NASCAR - All they talk about is The Race!!!

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

MoonKnight1
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 3:38:08 PM

Shop at My Store

BruceReville wrote:

Yeah, and let's not get started on laundry. Segregate the whites from the colors? Racist bastards! Rolling on the Floor

Hall Liquidations

ukblueky
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 4:33:08 PM

MoonKnight1 wrote:
I will say that in this country you are allowed Free Speech. But you also have to accept the consequences if you decide to say certain things. You can't shout "Fire" in a crowded theater, don't yell "Hi" to your friend Jack in an airport, don't call in a bomb threat, you can say, "I wish the President was dead" but you can't say, "I am going to kill the President" - these things are frowned upon. (Note to the NSA - I am NOT threatening the President, merely making an analogyAnxious )

You can call someone the N-word and get away with it - unless you are a sports broadcaster, ex-sitcom actor or prominent TV Chef. If I were to use that word at my job (not that I would) I wouldn't get fired. People would lose respect for me but that's probably it. There's a reason why the KKK wear hoods. They know that if their identity was known then people would no longer frequent their establishments or vote for them. It is my understanding that Sterling knew he was being taped which makes his statements even more puzzling.

As someone stated before, the NBA does have a Constitution and honestly I have no idea what's in it but the important thing is that Adam Silver does. A private company has the right to terminate employees for infractions in their contract. Apparently there was an infraction and Sterling is basically an employee.

In this case the NBA simply had to act, and act swiftly and decisively. The league was facing player walkouts, fan boycotts and sponsors dropping like flies. So yes, absolutely money had at least something to do with it. Image as well, after all - image is everything especially in that town and that league.

Fifty years ago his comments wouldn't have gotten the same response as they have now. Probably wouldn't be a recording first and even if the things he said surfaced it probably wouldn't have created much of a ripple. Things have changed - and for the better.

I love your inclusion of the tv chef and ex sitcom star. Poor Paula she felt the effects of something she said decades prior. How many of us would want to still be judged for something we said 10 to 20 years ago, heck even one year ago. We as Americans can go way over board on the over sensitivity and fake outrage. This Sterling thing seems to kind of fall into the fake outrage category. From what I heard everyone knew this mans viewpoint and stance on minorities and gender for...well as long as they knew him. So everyone in the NBA has put up with it like it was normal for 30 years or so and now they want to act shocked and outraged? Even the NAACP knew Sterlings views while they were giving him awards and honors. The NAACP sure cashed his checks. Ahh, the power of money how it makes a hypocrite of all of us. I don't want to seem like I am supporting Sterling because believe me I am not. He's just another rich a$$hole to me. I'm just not falling for the fake outrage. The man made no attempt to hide who or what he was. A known racist and bigot made a racist and bigot comment, oh my I'm shocked and appalled.Puh-lese. What else would you expect a racist to say? Anyone who has had long standing relations with the man who is acting shocked and mad at Sterling is a liar.If I heard correctly the owners club will meet and vote on Sterlings fate as far as owning the team. Do you really think they will force Sterling to sell the team? Heck no, they know they have all said something at some point during their time as owners that could cost them their team. They dont want to set up a new punishment which could possibly come back to bite them.
Not referring to the Sterling case but just something stirring in my pea brain head. I am actually getting sick and tired of Americans new way of dealing with people. Don't make this a political argument because people of both R and D stances are guilty. What I'm talking about is peoples absolute need to tear down,destroy and completely wreck the life of anyone who doesn't agree with them or subscribe to the same life style choices. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion and free speech until someone who doesn't agree with it hears about it. Then oh boy the war is on.

ukblueky
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 4:39:25 PM

MoonKnight1 wrote:
BruceReville wrote:

Yeah, and let's not get started on laundry. Segregate the whites from the colors? Racist bastards! Rolling on the Floor

Yeah and what are Oreos trying to tell us? That the WHITE part is better than the BLACK part. Oh for shame Oreos, why do you have to be so delicious with your racist self?!
Then there is the racism coming from the other side. You can eat all the pepper, which happens to be black, but if you eat too much salt, which is white, you can die from heart problems.

KingZombie
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 5:12:31 PM

It is such a joke that this is the hot button issue currently concerning racism.

There are far worse racist actions that are actually violent criminal acts going on and this is what has drawn all our attention? As far as I'm concerned this is just more voyeuristic bull crap, another train wreck people just love to watch.

BTW, Sterling was not aware he was being recorded, which is illegal to do in the state of California. So there was a criminal act here, but it was done by whoever recorded the conversation, not Sterling.
Peacefuldragon
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 6:42:33 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

"On Saturday, New York Knicks executive and former NBA standout Larry Johnson sent out a Tweet, calling for the formation of an all-black professional basketball league. Johnson wrote: "Black people your Focusing on the wrong thing. We should be focusing on having our own, Own team own League! To For Self!!"

Of course, Johnson's overtly racist remark was in response to the now infamous conversation Los Angeles Clipper's owner, Donald Sterling had with his much younger, much augmented girlfriend V. Stiviano, in which the octogenarian spray-tanning enthusiast told her not to bring black people to the basketball games.

For his private (or so he thought) remarks, Sterling has been banned from attending NBA games for life, and must now sell his team, and also received a rather stiff fine of $2.5 million. And what punishment has Johnson been dealt by NBA commissioner Adam Silver, for his very public, black-separatist rant?

Nothing! Nor has anyone from the league office, nor the Knicks even issued a statement acknowledging the racially insensitive comment.
"

Hmmm...imagine that...

If all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.
kidlippy
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 10:10:38 AM

It's now being said Sterling knew he was being recorded. Rumor is the incident happened back in September of 2013. It kinda makes sense only because of his comments on the recording. Going by the same story (BTW, the GF's lawyer was making these comments), the GF didn't even know the recording was in TMZ's hands until they called her. Her friend had the recording to keep safe.
I call BS.

MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 10:41:36 AM

Shop at My Store

KingZombie wrote:
BTW, Sterling was not aware he was being recorded, which is illegal to do in the state of California. So there was a criminal act here, but it was done by whoever recorded the conversation, not Sterling.

It has been widely reported that he did know he was being recorded.
Sterling knew about being recorded

KZ you are correct that there are far worse examples of racist actions happening not just in the US but the entire world. The difference in this case is that there is something that decent human beings can do to demonstrate our disgust. Yes, it's high profile and it's a sure bet that the media is going to run the coverage into the ground. That doesn't make it any less deplorable and deserving of our condemnation.

We are supposed to be a civilized society based on the premise that "All men are created equal". There was a divisive conflict less than 100 years after our nation was birthed that solidified that mandate. The Civil Rights movements in the middle of the last century guaranteed that everyone in the United States of America were equals by law regardless of race, gender, religion or any other identifiable characteristic.

Is racism and bigotry a thing of the past? Hardly. This Easter some enterprising degenerates put a lot of time and effort into distributing plastic Easter eggs containing racist statements to the lawns of a predominately black neighborhood in my city. I cannot think of anything lower than that. Imagine your child finding something like that.

The positive spin on this is that the backwards individuals who still cling to their hateful beliefs have to operate under the cover of shadow or behind a pseudonym.

I think that no one has addressed the Larry Johnson tweet because most people (myself included) took it as sarcasm.

Hall Liquidations