Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Life Outside of Comics » Why would a postal delivery person intentionally fold a cardboard box in half?

Why would a postal delivery person intentionally fold a cardboard box in half?

MoonKnight1
Wednesday, July 31, 2019 1:57:16 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I ship all comics in a cardboard box. I do this specifically to prevent the comic being folded in half during delivery. However, I have found out that some delivery people will fold the box in half in order to jam it into a mail slot.

I do not understand this. I mean, if I sent it in a manila envelope with nothing rigid inside or insufficient packaging material or a plastic bag like magazines come in then I can see where they might do this. But why would you think it is OK to turn sturdy cardboard into origami? Wall Time Out

Should I have to write "Do not bend" on a rigid box? It actually takes effort to bend these things. You'll have to put it over your knee to get it to bend. OK, so it's easier then tying a knot in a crowbar or tearing a phone book in half but still. It's not something that happens by accident. Confused

BTW - I have purchased comics from many sellers, both here and elsewhere, that arrive in a bag and are perfectly fine. It's all about how it's packed.

This is how I see it going down: Ace Ventura: UBS Deliveryman

Howie's Saying of the Week

The people I distrust most are those who want to improve our lives but have only one course of action in mind - Frank Herbert

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
lcfrick
Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:26:16 PM
Groups: Member
Some people either hate their jobs or themselves so much that they want to put as little effort into it as possible. Mail carrier is certainly one of the more soul crushing jobs out there, I imagine.

Either that or it's people who want to abuse the power of their position, but are unable to become cops.
ratrapp
Wednesday, July 31, 2019 6:19:55 PM
you should have been at my shop at Christmas.we have about 6 business's in our parking lot and the mail lady was apparently upset about having to deliver that day.i think she didn't realize not all of us had left and she dropped a few packages when she got out of her mail jeep.you would have thought she was trying out as a field goal kicker the way she kicked the boxes to the door.
PCPaperbacks
Thursday, August 01, 2019 2:48:09 PM
I made the mistake of making a formal complaint over 10 years ago to the USPS for bending some professional photos that said do not bend... the carrier of course, bent the envelop in half and stuffed it in the mail box... the same woman delivers my mail until early June. If the package can fit in the mailbox, she jams it in there, not folding it, but jams it in the box....

NEVER MAKE A FORMAL COMPLAINT AGAINST YOUR USPS... every comic I buy, I have to tell the seller, make sure it can't be bent or even fit in the mailbox. This is the only way I get stuff not bent or smooshed! Last month she stuffed my wife's JCrew package in the box, it was an outfit... it filled the entire mailbox... my wife was not happy! she complained...

So then the same carrier made a complaint she couldn't deliver my mail because a branch was hitting her truck as she drove by... the branch was on my neighbors property... this same branch did not hit my Honda Pilot which is taller then the mail truck...

Since I had made a couple of formal complaints, this time, I contacted the city I live in about the branch... they came out and said there is no way this branch hit the mail truck... the city worker was very annoyed at this! He stayed on my street that day til the mail truck came by and videoed her not delivering my mail... she just drove by and the branch did not hit her truck.

So since this happened, I noticed that the mail carrier has changed in June. I asked the carrier if he was filling in, he said no, that there was a route change and he was the new carrier for my neighborhood. I asked why? He didn't say, but I sorta know...

To have a good relationship with my new carrier, I left a 1/2 pint of Jim Beam in the mailbox on the 3rd of July in a bag that said "Mr. Carrier, Happy 4th!, Enjoy". I saw the carrier last week, he stopped, got out of his truck and hand delivered me my mail.

Quote:
"First is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Erp"

4saken1
Thursday, August 01, 2019 8:40:51 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
lcfrick wrote:
Some people either hate their jobs or themselves so much that they want to put as little effort into it as possible. Mail carrier is certainly one of the more soul crushing jobs out there, I imagine.

Either that or it's people who want to abuse the power of their position, but are unable to become cops.

I've been a mail carrier for nearly 30 years and actually love my job. If you get stuck on a bad route, it can be pretty horrible, however. There are quite a few carriers that get harassed by their supervisors for poor performance on a regular basis, too. Some of them just aren't that good at their jobs, while others are milking the system to get as much overtime as they can while at the same time doing the least amount of work that they can get away with.
ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get some comics for 30% off
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Domestic orders of 25 or more comics qualify for FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Priority Mail orders of 25 or more comics receive a $5 refund (Foreign or Domestic orders).
wildd0g
Friday, August 02, 2019 5:00:56 AM
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
I too am a mail carrier and I've had the same issues with the person who delivers MY mail. I always deliver the mail the way I'd want mine to be delivered. Unfortunately not all people think the same way.

I back a lot of Kickstarter comics and order many online and anytime there is a spot to add a comment, I make sure to tell them to put "Do Not Bend" regardless of size or shape or packaging. You're covered better that way if something does occur.

Now if only I could convince people to stop shipping comics by media mail. The post office has "lost" so many packages of mine that have had to be replaced it's ridiculous. Some by the same creator and he still chooses to send them that way!
Thundercron
Friday, August 02, 2019 2:54:37 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
wildd0g wrote:
I too am a mail carrier and I've had the same issues with the person who delivers MY mail. I always deliver the mail the way I'd want mine to be delivered. Unfortunately not all people think the same way.

I back a lot of Kickstarter comics and order many online and anytime there is a spot to add a comment, I make sure to tell them to put "Do Not Bend" regardless of size or shape or packaging. You're covered better that way if something does occur.

Now if only I could convince people to stop shipping comics by media mail. The post office has "lost" so many packages of mine that have had to be replaced it's ridiculous. Some by the same creator and he still chooses to send them that way!

Media mail packages have tracking. Where do they all wind up at?
wildd0g
Friday, August 02, 2019 6:53:08 PM
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
It costs extra if you want to have the forward service or return service added. They never pay the extra. If for whatever reason it needs to be forwarded or returned, it just goes to the dead letter office.

I recently had a package that keep trying to return for no reason. I live in Omaha, NE and following the tracking, I watched it got from Las Vegas to L.A then to Des Moines, IA. Then for some reason it went back to L.A. When I contacted them they said they would get it turned back around. So then it made it back to Des Moines, IA and then finally to Omaha where it again turned back around and went to Des Moines again!?!

I contacted them again. They had no idea what was going on and said they would find it again. Then finally after a week and two days past it's expected delivery date, it finally showed up.