Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
What a joke! Options
freakdylan
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 1:29:03 PM

Groups: Member

Ok so normally I try to defend the CCl system and how it is run, managed and used because I love the software.

I however have a major problem with approvers who don't even bother to read the info I submit.

I recently went to add 2 new titles Ultimate X-men Special Edition and Ultimate Marvel Team-Up Special Edition. Both of these reprints were sold exclusively at Walmart, just like the Ultimate Spiderman Special Edition which is in the database currently.

When I submitted these 2 titles I received this response

Quote:
I understand the indicia has a slight difference, but these appear to just be newsstand style variants of the standard direct market edition. Voting no right now.

Now this response to me is a joke.

1. On one of these titles they have different covers then the original. I even submitted pics of the titles for reference to try and speed things up but obviously this approver was too busy copy/pasting the same reply to actually read my submission or he would see they had different covers.

2. A "Slight difference in the indicia"? I mean seriously if the indicia is different then it is a different comic! The database is flooded with 2nd and 3rd print comics that the only difference between them is a slight difference in the indicia.

I won't keep up this rant but am very very displeased to say the least about this comment. I know of a ton of variants not currently in the DB but I never ever try to add them until I have them in hand so I can verify covers and the SLIGHT differences in the indicia. I wont bother adding them if it is too hard for approvers to actually read the comments.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 2:55:25 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I took at look at your CR, and I think you owe the Approver an apology.

You provided two pictures to covers. The covers, aside from the issue number, are identical to two covers from the regular title. It wasn't until AFTER the Approver replied with his very straightforward and reasonable observation that you provided the information that issue #1 reprints both #2 and #3.

In order to make the database as user-friendly as possible, small exceptions are sometimes made to the mostly-standard "By the Indicia" policy.

In this case, without the information provided after the fact, I would have recommended the same basic thing: adding these issues as variants to the original listings, and noting in the item bio that they were Wal-Mart exclusives, and the numbering on the issues were flipped.

I'm also recommend that, instead of taking the problem public and complaining about approvers (we've had enough of that lately), you should have sent the Approver a private message, to explain the situation and try to come to a reasonable conclusion.
SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 2:58:03 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

1) I did look at the covers linked and those in the database. I didn't notice a difference at the time.

2) And those "slight" differences (printings, directors cuts, FCBD) are added as variants not new titles.

Finally, it was one opinion and one vote. I left the CR open for discussion.

"Words have meaning." - my wife
SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 3:04:15 PM

Shop at My Store

And had that FUNDAMENTAL info of what's included in the original submissions no ones time would be wasted with frustrations in this thread. When submitting these oddball variants as much detail should be provided from the get-go because info is hard to find online. You've got it in hand and can be an invaluable source to getting your own submissions through quickly.

freakdylan
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 5:21:05 PM

If you think an apology is in order because someone can't see the difference in the following 2 covers the so be it I am sorry.

To me the only thing similar is the giant "1' on top right corner but my bad I apologize for getting upset when someone says the only difference between the two is a slight indicia change.

Wont argue anymore, vented and over it now. :)

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 5:46:45 PM

As I stated, the Hulk/Spidey with the #1 on the cover is the cover to the regular issue #2. The Wolverine/Spidey cover you didn't show, with the #2 on the cover is obviously the regular cover to #1.

Yes. The issue numbers are switched. WHICH IS WHY THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN ADDED AS VARIANTS TO THE RESPECTIVE ISSUES, AND A LINE TO THE ITEM BIO STATING THAT THEY WERE WAL-MART EXCLUSIVES AND THE ISSUE NUMBERS HAD BEEN SWITCHED.

What was it you said about reading the comments before replying?

And I quote:
You provided two pictures to covers. The covers, aside from the issue number, are identical to two covers from the regular title. It wasn't until AFTER the Approver replied with his very straightforward and reasonable observation that you provided the information that issue #1 reprints both #2 and #3.

In order to make the database as user-friendly as possible, small exceptions are sometimes made to the mostly-standard "By the Indicia" policy.

In this case, without the information provided after the fact, I would have recommended the same basic thing: adding these issues as variants to the original listings, and noting in the item bio that they were Wal-Mart exclusives, and the numbering on the issues were flipped.
freakdylan
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 8:25:50 PM

Lol

You are so so missing the point.

When I list a variant/ new title etc and post a picture and it is 99% different then the standard or listed comic and I receive this reply.

Quote:
I understand the indicia has a slight difference, but these appear to just be newsstand style variants of the standard direct market edition. Voting no right now.

It shows 100% that he didnt view both pictures as provided above. If he had then this post would never have been made. Instead he copy/pasted his reply from another title request I made. You can look at the time stamps and see he posted on this title 3 minutes after! Which means he was just going through the motions.

If he had looked and seen the covers were so so different he could have asked for more info etc. Instead he said they had no difference.

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

scotteaves
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 8:52:29 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

Here's another monkey wrench - if #1 reprints #2 and #3, that wouldn't be a variant or either 2 or 3, correct? Due to the total different content. Sorry - these screwy reprints of 2 issues always give me a headache.

freakdylan
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 11:21:45 PM

If you want them as variants can do that, It really doesnt matter too me. The only reason I put them in as new titles is because of other similar titles........

Ultimate spiderman special edition
http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/CoverTitle.aspx?id=bf5ebc43-eab1-4131-8fd1-3838613433cd

This one is an exact match as the 2 new titles I listed.

Ultimate spiderman (2002)
http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/CoverTitle.aspx?id=0eb77571-b3df-45c8-821e-3fc4a3492d92

A little different but really just a reprint with different cover.

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

RBC_Distribution
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 12:29:30 AM

Straight Face

My Why

SwiftMann
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 2:23:00 AM

Shop at My Store

freakdylan wrote:
It shows 100% that he didnt view both pictures as provided above.

You can keep saying this over and over again, but it doesn't make it true.

And while you posted two of the four team-up covers, the covers of all four tell a different story. They aren't 99% different. They switched the numbering. There's nothing about my question that wasn't merited. And it was JUST A QUESTION. No action was taken.

I'm sorry you are frustrated by a question, but again, if the content information and/or ANY commentary about the books was given, we wouldn't be here. It is the Approver's role to ask questions to make sure things are entered properly. I'm not sure why that's set off such a firestorm in you about this title. If it's simply your erroneous assumption that I didn't look at your links you've got yourself worked up about nothing.

We appreciate you adding these fairly unique variants/editions, but I really don't get the level of annoyance/anger in this thread.

Tamwood
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 3:12:53 AM

scotteaves wrote:
Here's another monkey wrench - if #1 reprints #2 and #3, that wouldn't be a variant or either 2 or 3, correct? Due to the total different content. Sorry - these screwy reprints of 2 issues always give me a headache.

But that information wasn't given up front. If it had been, this thread wouldn't exist.
scotteaves
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 8:54:21 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

Tamwood wrote:
scotteaves wrote:

But that information wasn't given up front. If it had been, this thread wouldn't exist.

True.

Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 9:45:13 AM

Groups: Approver, Member

SwiftMann wrote:
I'm sorry you are frustrated by a question, but again, if the content information and/or ANY commentary about the books was given, we wouldn't be here. It is the Approver's role to ask questions to make sure things are entered properly. I'm not sure why that's set off such a firestorm in you about this title. If it's simply your erroneous assumption that I didn't look at your links you've got yourself worked up about nothing.

Absolutely and inarguably correct.

SwiftMann wrote:
We appreciate you adding these fairly unique variants/editions, but I really don't get the level of annoyance/anger in this thread.

And again I am in complete agreement.

freakdylan
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 10:18:46 AM

SwiftMann wrote:

I'm sorry you are frustrated by a question, but again, if the content information and/or ANY commentary about the books was given, we wouldn't be here. It is the Approver's role to ask questions to make sure things are entered properly.

What question? Please point out the question you asked? I relooked and see no questions just a statement.

Quote:

Please point out which part of that statement was a question. You didnt ask for more info, or what the difference in covers was. You made a blank statement that there was no difference except for a slight indicia variant.

Its very easy to after the fact say oh if i knew it was reprint wouldnt be here, but you totally skipped over the fact that the covers are different by the "question" above. I know what a question is and have had several on my change requests. In fact I have 2 more that are waiting to be added that have multiple questions and I reply every time with as much info as I can give. No question was posed, so I posted here.

Its all good though I am not mad or upset, I was at the moment, thus the post but well beyond that now. In the future I will take all your posts as questions, lol. If you prefer to add as a variant I will do that, if it is title I will add covers etc. have a nice day and apologize if I got anyone else's panties in a bunch besides my own.

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

sgriffin
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 10:26:26 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Policies, Member, Subscriber

Perhaps Swift could have been more explicit in phrasing as a question, but when we leave a comment and DON'T close out the change request you should always view that as an opportunity to respond and add more information. In this instance, for example, you could have responded with more information to explain why these aren't variants since that wasn't clear in the original submission.

As for the covers being different - from what I see they were only different in issue number. In absence of other information (which we all know now but wasn't originally present) I'd question the submission as well.

Megalomaniac Extraordinaire
SwiftMann
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 10:59:24 AM

Shop at My Store

You are correct. I didn't explicitly ask a question. I made an open ended statement that was there to create discussion. "These appear" was meant as a gentle opening to discussion. I will be sure to be more explicit and exacting in your CRs and threads.