Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
X-O Manowar (2012) Options
wpmcclure
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:26:02 AM

Groups: Member

I've been enjoying the new Valiant line since it launched earlier this year Daydreaming. I'm currently reading X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Bloodshot, Harbinger, and Shadowman. I hope others out there share my enthusiasm for each of the storylines and wanted to chat about events that are currently taking place in the Valiant Universe, starting with X-O Manowar.

Oh...and for readers that hate spoilers, I hope others including myself include them in here, so readers proceed with a bit of caution.Big Grin

So shelving the historical timeline and actual events surrounding the Roman Empire Nerd, we have the Vine, they like to seed themselves on host planets where intelligent beings exist. They call these offspring "plantings" and can mimic the physiology of virtually any species. They all communicate through a type of meditation that places them in a place they call "The Gatherings".

The mythical Vine armor is referred to as The Sacred Armor of Shanhara. It has tremedous power and can only be worn if the armor chooses you as its host. The problem is, it's choosen a human. Not just any human, a Visigoth, heir to a throne, an enemy to the Roman Empire. Our main character is Aric, captured, taken from his home, enslaved. After bonding with the armor now has returned to Earth, except now 1600 years has passed... Not Talking ...no seriously, 1600 years... Liar ...come on, you remember Einstein's Theory of Relativity right?!?! Confused Just go with it...

Misunderstood Boo Hoo!, confused Silly, has spent the first few issues grappling with his current situation. Along the way he has met and fought with Alexander Darian, a Vine planting and Ninjak, badass ninja assassin for hire.

So yeah, there you go and yes I didn't go into a lot of detail so get off your butt and read the series! If you have love or hate for the happenings taking place in the storyline, please do post, if not, then it'll be just be me posting Wall, to myself Loser, for myself Loser...

Review of Issue #1 by Mr. The_Valiant_One

IF ANYONE READ THE STORYLINE FROM THE VALIANT OF THE PAST PLEASE POST ANY INFORMATION THAT YOU RECALL ABOUT HOW THE CURRENT VALIANT STORYLINE COMPARES TO THE 90's STUFF!

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:13:50 AM

i remember these books being around when i was a kid but thought they were too hardcore... i've been meaning to pick them up and see how they are but i think some of that stegma is still there lol

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

wpmcclure
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 5:45:48 PM

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
i remember these books being around when i was a kid but thought they were too hardcore... i've been meaning to pick them up and see how they are but i think some of that stegma is still there lol

I missed out on these books but I do think you are right they were a bit hardcore. However with the way the writing is going and how beautiful each comic looks because of the coloring and clean lines, it's easy to follow with the eyes and really grabs you with each book, yearning for more. I realize they have a lot to work with from the past, especially since from what I heard was the past writing of the 90s was really good. It will be interesting where they take the storylines of each series and what they come up with (new material) in the future and how well it holds up with the others.

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 5:49:33 PM

i wanna pick up shadow man that looks like a really cool book. and i wanna see how x-o manowar is too. you make them sounds pretty interesting.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

Jim
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 6:49:29 PM

I picked all of the Valiant relaunch titles up but the only ones I've continued following are X-O, Shadowman, and a little bit of Archer. Like the original series, Harbinger is a great idea but difficult to execute without boring the reader to death, so I've ended up dropping it yet again. Shadowman is absolutely awesome this time around and so is X-O. I'd love to see a new series for Ninjak and Eternal Warrior now that they've been introduced in the regular titles.

Some of the 90's stuff was really good while Shooter was involved and the new stuff today is about on par.

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 9:03:23 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

X-O has been really great. A tad bit slow to start (a friend mentioned #1-4 basically all took place in the original #0 issue from the 90s), but it's really picked up since Ninjak came on the scene.

X-O and A&A are probably my favorites. Bloodshot is really good, but treading a bit close to too much confusion and conspiracy. I'm waiting to get my Shadowman #1 shipped, but the preview looked awesome.

"Words have meaning." - my wife
CosmicAvenger
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:38:55 AM

Groups: Beta, Characters Host, DC Host, Member, Moderator

How close are these titles to their original stories?

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Jim
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 1:24:25 AM

They are still fairly close, the basic premise is there but told differently. It all feels more updated which I like.

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
Dementia5
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 12:03:52 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Subscriber

Are they planning to bring back Solar? Not finding any mention.

"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son

We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

wpmcclure
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 1:11:03 PM

Dementia5 wrote:
Are they planning to bring back Solar? Not finding any mention.

Man, if I can find the interview they did back when the first 4 titles were released it was mentioned that shadowman was in the works and that others would follow including the possibility of bringing back Solar. To be honest the valiant guys were saying all of the old stuff was up for grabs and that they have a team working on all potential storylines. But like I said if I can find the interview via google where they mentioned this I'll post it for you. So your answer from me is possibly but won't be for a bit. Sigh

SwiftMann
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 3:33:38 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Solar, Turok and Magnus (all originally published in the 60s by Gold Key) are owned by a different company than Valiant. That's why Dark Horse and Jim Shooter were able to publish those series recently. They weren't very good, publishing was erratic and the license got too expensive. Don't expect to see any of those characters published by this version of Valiant any time soon (if ever).

The only characters they've teased that haven't gotten their own books yet are Eternal Warrior and Rai.

"Words have meaning." - my wife
Jim
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 3:50:22 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
Solar, Turok and Magnus (all originally published in the 60s by Gold Key) are owned by a different company than Valiant. That's why Dark Horse and Jim Shooter were able to publish those series recently. They weren't very good, publishing was erratic and the license got too expensive. Don't expect to see any of those characters published by this version of Valiant any time soon (if ever).

The only characters they've teased that haven't gotten their own books yet are Eternal Warrior and Rai.

I agree. With as popular as this Valiant relaunch has been it wouldn't surprise me to hear that the company that currently owns them would try to capitalize on the situation should Valiant attempt to purchase (or license) them back. They wouldn't be able to afford it. With any luck though, this incarnation of Valiant will do well enough to hopefully someday aquire them, but I'm not holding my breath.

If they do bring back Rai I hope its the original incarnation and not the Future Force one. I really enjoyed the first dozen issues from the 90's.

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
wpmcclure
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:26:47 PM

My bad, SwiftMann and Jim are right, I found the article I was referring too.

"Are you trying to get the Gold Key characters back?
Pierce: At this point in time we’re not. Mike [Richardson] at Dark Horse has them and I’m sure we’ll have certain discussions, but I’m very happy with characters that we have. We can mine the characters that we have for another two, three, four years. A lot of people have asked if we’ll launch new characters and I’ll be happy to launch new characters if any of the new characters are better than the characters we still haven’t launched. We haven’t launched Shadowman, Rai, Eternal Warrior, Dr. Mirage, or Quantum and Woody (Quantum and Woody wasn’t even part of the original Valiant universe, but it is part of the intellectual property that we control). "

icv2 reference article