Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Saga Options
kevscomics
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 1:09:37 PM

Groups: Member

4saken1 wrote:
Image is definitely where it's at right now! I hear people whine and complain about Marvel and DC, but they just keep on reading them, regardless. Give some independents a chance, folks! I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but Image is my favorite comic company right now! (Vertigo is a close second)

What are you reading from Vertigo right now? I mean historically vertigo has put out probably 3 of my top 5 titles of all time in Preacher, Y, and Ex Machina. I have been reading Saucer Country but not overly impressed. What have u been reading from Vertigo?
PCPaperbacks
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 1:53:44 PM

I am wondering the same thing with Vertigo titles.

With Scalped and Spaceman ending with only one issue left, the only thing I am picking up is American Vampire which is a great story, taking the tired vampire story and giving it a new heartbeat.

Quote:
"First is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Erp"

kevscomics
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 2:27:28 PM

kevscomics wrote:
4saken1 wrote:
Image is definitely where it's at right now! I hear people whine and complain about Marvel and DC, but they just keep on reading them, regardless. Give some independents a chance, folks! I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but Image is my favorite comic company right now! (Vertigo is a close second)

What are you reading from Vertigo right now? I mean historically vertigo has put out probably 3 of my top 5 titles of all time in Preacher, Y, and Ex Machina. I have been reading Saucer Country but not overly impressed. What have u been reading from Vertigo?

Wanted to correct myself before someone else go to it...Ex Machina was under the Wildstorm banner...not Vertigo.
4saken1
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 6:34:33 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

kevscomics wrote:

I know there's a couple of these that have recently ended, but I'm a few months behind so they're not quite over for me yet! Here's a list of them in order of preference, starting with my favorite:

Scalped
Fables
Northlanders
DMZ
American Vampire
Sweet Tooth
Unwritten
iZombie

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

kevscomics
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 9:58:57 PM

Awesome, thanks. I just finished the 6th trade on Fables, and the 1st on Scalped, so I have some catching up to do. Gonna have to check out those other titles.
padreglcc
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:43:17 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Just read issue #1 for free on Comixology. Thought is was very interesting. May have to check out a few more issues.

“We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." W. H. Auden

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:52:33 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

DCBS.com had the first volume of Saga for $5, so me and some other friends picked it up to discuss. Here's my take on it.

First off, know that I've never been a big BKV fan. Secondly, the first three paragraphs were written while I was halfway through issue #2.

Saga Vol. 1 - I knew before the end of the first issue this wasn't a book for me. The story isn't the worst of it, but for the praise the story is getting, I'm unimpressed. There are two major issues for me. The first is that this is way more of a sword & sorcery/fantasy/quest structure than I'd want in my sci-fi (and personally, I think it's actually fantasy with some sci-fi thrown in). The second is the absolutely jarring references to real-world stuff like apps and romance novels with shirtless men. At best Vaughn's writing is pedestrian. At worst it's boring.

But my real problems are in the visuals. As best I can tell Fiona Staples hasn't done a lot of sequential work. It shows. Like some of the writing, the panel structure and layouts are just so boringly basic. And the overly sketchy feel to the whole thing makes the product feel unfinished. But my major problem is with Fonografiks and their lettering. I've said it before, lettering is a crap job because if you do it right no one talks about it or really notices it, but if you do it wrong it can bring down an entire book. The font for the robots is abysmal. But the narrative by the kid in the handwritten, slanty, directly-on-the-art is so (banned)ing annoying my eyes roll everytime I hit a section of it.

So, while I can sometimes accept that a book simply isn't for me, but others may love it, Saga is more of a case of, "Why are people raving about this?"

That's what I wrote after only finishing the first issue and a half. Having now finished the book, I pretty much think the same. But I've never been a Vaughn fan. I've tried plenty, but I just don't connect with his writing. I find it all dry and boring. And sometimes dated and distracting - a spider-lady bounty hunter using the phrase "baby daddy..." Really?!? No on has said that in years. And before that it was said ironically for years. There's really just too many moments like that that really don't work for me. By the end, it's basically less interesting and less sci-fi Farscape.

The art still feels a little too raw and unpolished, but there is some great storytelling in the characters' eyes and mouths. It's just that while that's happening anatomy and other details are kind of left behind. And, yeah, the lettering still pisses me off.

There was a bit of conversation back and forth and then I made this reply a few hours later.

At the time, I just made the following as an off-the-cuff quick comparison: "it's basically less interesting and less sci-fi Farscape."

Then you guys hit me up with these comments and I couldn't help but start really thinking it through.

Quote:
something that was so different than what it out there

Quote:
there's not much out there like this

For me, it really was a less interesting and less sci-fi Farscape. And that's a problem because a year ago Boom wrapped up what was (essentially) a three year, 48 issue Farscape story about star-crossed lovers who get married, have a kid and the entire galaxy, but one uber-baddie in particular, is after them. So, there was already something a lot like this (super similar really) that was done, for me, way better just a year ago.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5